Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Interesting Side note: I asked my mother why she never breastfed. She said it was because she wanted me father to have a part in the feedings and a chance to bond. I think this is a VERY good point to bring up.
So, through all of human history before the last 70 years or so, fathers never bonded with their children? That's weak. There are tons of other ways for fathers to bond with their children that don't include feeding them bottles. Bathing, changing, dressing, rocking, singing, playing, cuddling to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's an empty argument, that breastmilk is nutritious, therefore mothers should continue giving it to their kids after they grow teeth. Just because something is nutritious, doesn't mean a kid should have it every day, or even at all. You could very easily substitute that breastmilk's nutrition with a daily chewable vitamin. But the kid needs FOOD. Those teeth are the sign that it's time to wean off the teat and onto chewable food.
Just because a baby has teeth, does not mean she should eat ONLY solid foods, just that she can be introduced to solid foods while still also drinking milk. Nutritional guidelines for toddlers recommend 16 oz of milk per day at 24 months. Do you feel that homogenized cow's milk is better for human babies than human milk? Or were you under the impression that nursing toddlers only drink breast milk and do not also eat table food? That does seem to be an odd, but common, misconception. And even if breast milk is no longer *required*, that is not a reason to withhold it either. If my child drinks breast milk instead of cow's milk to fulfill her nutritional requirement for milk, why would that be a bad thing? Cow's milk is, after all, a *substitute* for human milk.

Quote:
The good lord in heaven above made people get their baby teeth at a certain age, and dad gum it, you autta have a little respect for that.
If you're going to get religious on me, I wonder how long Jesus was breastfed? My guess is at least 2 years, because Jewish law recommends at least 24 months and a maximum of 4-5 years. The Koran also recommends that mothers should breastfeed for at least 2 years. I think that there is more involved than just the emergence of baby teeth, and maybe so does that good lord you refer to. Interestingly enough, 2 years is also the minimum recommended by the WHO.

Breastfeeding Part 2: A Time to Wean (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/jewish_families_retired/33942 - broken link)
Respect for children (part 2 of 3) (http://www.yementimes.com/defaultdet.aspx?SUB_ID=22943 - broken link)

Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
my older son had 4 teeth at 4 months, 8 teeth at 8 months. So should he have been weaned at 4 months because he had teeth?
At 14 months, my daughter has only 4 teeth - the two front ones on the top and bottom. Not really enough for real chewing, though she does eat some table food. There are such wide variations on when teeth come in!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
They may grow physically, but their growth - especially their EMOTIONAL growth certainly can be stunted by an obsessive mother who can't let her baby go.....
That may be so, but continued breastfeeding does not equal "obsessive mother who can't let her baby go". You may have seen it above, but the American Academy of Pediatrics states clearly that "There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer."

Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk -- Section on Breastfeeding 115 (2): 496 -- AAP Policy

Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Quote:
They may grow physically, but their growth - especially their EMOTIONAL growth certainly can be stunted by an obsessive mother who can't let her baby go.....
And this only happens to mothers and babies who nurse? Where the heck is my daughter going? College? LOL!

What about mothers who never nursed and instead bottle fed because they listened to people like you on the internet and were AFRAID to be perceived as obsessive mothers. Very weak minded individuals who need to be accepted by you and since nobody is perfect, they will let you down. They then need to be validated by the next person who could be their child. This is a needy person, madam, and it is not limited to women who breastfeed. However, it can be limited to parents who learned this behavior from their family while they were growing up. Go and read up on co-dependency especially the characteristics of one.

I am not afraid. I am a competent mother. My child is a competent little person. She and I don't have to prove ourselves to you or anybody else that says we need to let go of each other to show that we can let go. Enough with your assertions and analysis about the nursing dyad.

Last edited by crisan; 07-03-2010 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times
Quote:
They don't need to nurse at 14 months. That's what teeth are for, so they can eat solid food.

Let your child grow. It's a parent's job.
Those teeth are called milk teeth also known as baby teeth or deciduous teeth.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times

Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,374 times
A couple of things I wanted to say about growth which is usually described as milestones. The physical ones are easy to see: rolling, crawling, pincer grasp, walking, running, as well as the verbal ones. One day the baby can't do it, the next day the baby can. Some parents do try to encourage these milestones faster but most know that their efforts don't really pay off. For example, I never did tummy time and my baby developed normally. I don't speak for preemies or other special cases because I know some who did receive physical therapy.

However some parents believe, mostly AP ones, that there are also emotional developmental milestones that cannot be easily determined because they are not easily seen. Main reason: the baby mostly cries and can't really communicate. This is why some do baby led weaning and no sleep training.

That is pretty much it and these two things seems to put people in two different camps. Why? I have no idea. I say, be confident in your decisions and anybody who needs to convince you otherwise is trying to get their needs met. Which is odd because we are just trying to meet the needs of our baby.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
What does amaze me is that I have seen people complain so much about a natural thing like feeding a child in public more than seeing some couple being so overly intimate in public. Nudity is so much in TV, stores, magazines, on the streets and people complain or feel uneasy to see a mother feeding her child. It just does not make sense to me.
In that sense other countries are way ahead of us in seeing nudity and things like breastfeeding for what they are, natural things. We tend to be so prudish about it and yet we seem to have a higher rate of teen pregnancy and other social problems other more open minded societies do not, take care.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
So, through all of human history before the last 70 years or so, fathers never bonded with their children? That's weak. There are tons of other ways for fathers to bond with their children that don't include feeding them bottles. Bathing, changing, dressing, rocking, singing, playing, cuddling to name a few.
Looks like I was raised by a terrible mother. Shame. I really love her and my father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting