Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
This is wrong on so many levels. Imagine a conversation between Grade 1's and 2's. "So Johnny what's your favourite thing to drink. I love grape juice." and Johnny replies: "I drink milk from mommy's boobies." yuck!!
This sounds like a judgmental post. Hmmm, others say, do and think things that we would not do ourselves.

Last edited by crisan; 07-04-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

I am sorry but your comments make seem like you are calling her some sort of low income back ally woman.
I think there was a period of time where women were told to push their babies for independence early, as in, don't be so dependent on mommy. My reason for thinking this is because many women who have grown children are often advising me to let my daughter grow up and be independent.

I mainly heard these comments when my daughter was an infant and her only form of communication was crying. They would see me pick her up and nurse her and so felt compelled to advise me. Now that she is older, rarely cries in public, walks beside me without trying to bolt away, sociable (if she likes you), "plays" with other kids, nobody is giving me advice about letting her be independent. Nobody knows that I nurse her except people who come to my home.

Just because somebody says that your mom was working with the information that she had doesn't mean that she had limited information due to income. The research just may not have been there to convince her. She did what she thought was best for you based on the information she had at the time.

Many of the studies supporting AP style parenting and extended nursing are quite recent. This does not mean that other parenting styles will result in unhealthy relationships. It simply means that AP is not abnormal but quite normal.

Last edited by crisan; 07-04-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
As someone who personally knows multiple children who nursed to age 4 or 5 or beyond, I can tell you that I have never personally *seen* a child that age nursing, besides my own, and that includes personal spaces such as homes and LLL meetings. I think it is really quite uncommon for them to nurse in front of others.
I agree. I have no problem when a child decides to wean. It is simply not my business. I was referring to nursing in public and perhaps the reason I haven't seen it is because we don't yet go to activities where there are many parents. I don't think I will be upset that it will ruin my day but instead use it as something to laugh about later. We saw topless women at South Beach and they weren't models. My husband, , and I are not going around being outraged by this.

I do try to do things that are socially acceptable outside the privacy of my home. I know that some people are not concerned with this but I am. However, I don't try to impose my choices on others.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post

Just because somebody says that your mom was working with the information that she had doesn't mean that she had limited information due to income. The research just may not have been there to convince her. She did what she thought was best for you based on the information she had at the time.
The thing is why should she have had any information that showed her otherwise. She didn't want to breast feed!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The thing is why should she have had any information that showed her otherwise. She didn't want to breast feed!
I think what I was getting at is that you shouldn't feel like a judgment, especially a negative one, was made about your mom just because she made a different choice. You know that your mom is a good mom, nothing else matters. Believe it or not, if you decide to have children, you might just do some things differently. Hopefully your mom won't see this as being judgmental on how she raised you.

Wanting to bottlefeed is normal. Wanting to breastfeed is normal. That is my message. We are lucky we have the choices.

Anyway, thanks for allowing this discussion to continue. It has really helped me understand where my thoughts were being judgmental and when they were not. And where I made assumptions (but I am not perfect )

ETA: I am the first person in my entire family (extended family and in-laws) to breastfeed.

Last edited by crisan; 07-04-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times
Quote:
This sounds like a judgmental post. Hmmm, others say, do and think things that we would not do ourselves.

Not judgmental just saying why I think that breastfeeding a 7-8 year old is wrong.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:06 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
)

ETA: I am the first person in my entire family (extended family and in-laws) to breastfeed.
My mother was the first to bottle feed in our family. She also told me she never just "gave us a bottle and let us go" she and my father always held us and fed us until we started using cups.

Shes why I post on this board. She did a lot of interesting things as a parent that sometimes I think could benefit other people

Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
My mother was the first to bottle feed in our family. She also told me she never just "gave us a bottle and let us go" she and my father always held us and fed us until we started using cups.

Shes why I post on this board. She did a lot of interesting things as a parent that sometimes I think could benefit other people
Good for her. Some are quick to think that because somebody did something different, especially within the family, it means that their choices are being judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting