Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:48 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I did not say 3 months, I said 'a few', meaning about 6 months when they start sitting in a high chair.
My baby did not sit up on her own until 7 months. 8-9 months she was able to grab things effortlessly with her hand. 10-11 months she developed her pincer grasp. Waiting until she was developmentally ready to eat was the route I chose to baby led weaning a.k.a introducing solids. I don't rely on high chairs, baby spoons, baby jarred food.

However, she is weaning because I nurse only from one side and that one side used to be much larger, but it has decreased. That means my milk supply is decreasing slowly as her solids intake increases. I don't want to get clogged ducts.

As of right now, her solids intake has decreased because her molars are coming in. I know this because her bowel movements have slowed down to every other day. Instead she nurses for comfort and is getting her nutrition this way. Funny thing, one mother I know who was trying to wean "early" ended up having a toddler who would not even take a bottle when her molars were coming in. She had to pick up nursing again. She was down to twice a day at the time.

Nursing is much more than food for comfort.

Last edited by crisan; 07-03-2010 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Had my facts wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
It's pretty obvious you're breastfeeding in that picture but no, it doesn't bother me in the least. As you said, your breast is covered. What -does- bother me, is that your kid's clothes clash miserably with yours. If you're gonna put the baby that close to a green and yellow striped shirt, don't be giving him a turquoise shirt. It's embarrassing. It's like saying, HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT US WE WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WE'RE HIDING OUR BREASTFEEDING MOMENT!

Clashing clothes = drawing attention. You don't have to match but good god, at least coordinate!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:29 AM

I can see how bottles and keeping milk cool would have been so convenient on a hiking trip.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,621 times
A 14-month-old is no longer a "baby." He (or she) is a toddler, and should be eating solid food, along with (hopefully), walking by now, etc.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
A 14-month-old is no longer a "baby." He (or she) is a toddler, and should be eating solid food, along with (hopefully), walking by now, etc.
14 month olds eat solids and they can usually walk, talk and breastfeed. There is nothing wrong with a 14 month old nursing.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:42 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's pretty obvious you're breastfeeding in that picture but no, it doesn't bother me in the least. As you said, your breast is covered. What -does- bother me, is that your kid's clothes clash miserably with yours. If you're gonna put the baby that close to a green and yellow striped shirt, don't be giving him a turquoise shirt. It's embarrassing. It's like saying, HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT US WE WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WE'RE HIDING OUR BREASTFEEDING MOMENT!

Clashing clothes = drawing attention. You don't have to match but good god, at least coordinate!

How do you like nursing covers? Bebe au Lait & Hooter Hiders - Nursing Covers for Chic Mothers
They make it extremely obvious that a woman is breastfeeding.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:00 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

As if this conversation wasn't bizarre enough, here comes the breastfeeding fashion police! BTW, great photo ADVentive.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
See that smiley in my post, at the bottom, isolated to ensure everyone sees it? Y'know, the one that you have included in the quote.

Yeah. I figured that might be a clue.

I guess I should've realized I'm dealing with the clueless here.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
There is nothing wrong with a 14 month old nursing.
After nursing my daughter for this long, I now realize why some kids are still using their pacifier at a late age. Many parents have to somehow trick them to quit it. This is because the child can walk around with the pacifier in their mouth, which means, he could have it anytime he wants. However, a toddler cannot walk around with the breast; it is not physically possible for the mother. He has to learn to do without for most of the day.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
My 14 month old does not walk or talk. Does that make it okay for her breastfeed in your mind? She does eat solid foods, but she also nurses several times per day. She does not tolerate cow's milk yet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting