Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well it is and it isn't any of your business. When an activity that many consider something to be done in private is carried into public, it makes it everyone's business.

There seems to be a lot of friction even in the breastfeeding community about how long is too long and when it should be stopped. At what point do you cross the line?

This is why I brought up this topic. Would you personally be even just a little disgusted if someone was breastfeeding a 5 year old in the middle of the mall?
I would be disgusted, and not b/c of a breast being exposed. I would be disgusted at the fact that the mother has let that kind of behavior go on. Boobs are like binkies to some kids. You need to wean them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
ROFLMAO...what about girls? By your logic all breastfed girls should be lesbians.

You say "correlation is not causation", but exactly what correlation and study are you referencing? Did someone in your family not breastfeed and their son turned out gay, while the other boys in the family were breastfed and developed a healthy fascination with boobs?
yup, anecdotal family evidence is all i have for my personal belief, but i love my rednecks, i mean family, but i won't force it on anyone else.

as for the age, my cousins' child who is 2 years old will fight her for her boob, which is why i'm so livid about it.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Probably not. I'm more the type to be disgusted over pre-teens wearing shorts that show thongs, exposed buttcheeks... that sort of thing. Would I personally breastfeed for that long? I don't think so, I plan on breastfeeding for one year. But again, I try not to be judgy, and would rather go about my day instead of caring how a person chooses to feed her child.
I guess you're a better person than I am. I don't think I would go so far as to be disgusted or say anything, but I definitely don't think it's appropriate on many levels to breastfeed an older child period, let alone in public.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Quote:
but I definitely don't think it's appropriate on many levels to breastfeed an older child period, let alone in public.
At some point it really crosses the line from public breastfeeding, (which is bad enough) to downright perversion.

I mean...if the hubby were exposing his private parts to the children in public, he'd be called a pervert! Right?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Default As usual, C-D proves a great source of entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i find breastfeeding important because it is key to natural development to the desire of breasts.

yes i'm suggesting your kid may turn gay if you don't breastfeed. but correlation is not causation, so disproving me with personal anecdotal evidence is futile.
Thank you for the laugh. You have an interesting perspective on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
At some point it really crosses the line from public breastfeeding, (which is bad enough) to downright perversion.

I mean...if the hubby were exposing his private parts to the children in public, he'd be called a pervert! Right?
Um. The penis is not designed to provide sustenance for a newborn, but you knew that already, right?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
However...by the time a child is that age, nursing is mainly a comfort thing
At some point though, comforting should not equate to food (whether breast or not). If the only way you can comfort your child is to provide food that's a whole new can of worms.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
At some point though, comforting should not equate to food (whether breast or not). If the only way you can comfort your child is to provide food that's a whole new can of worms.
Food has always provided comfort. M&m candies are the only reason that my children continue to survive. You can take away my coffee and my wine, but if you touch my chocolate, somebody is going to get hurt!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Quote:
Um. The penis is not designed to provide sustenance for a newborn, but you knew that already, right?
But with an older child, breastfeeding really isn't providing the substance for life either. The child is eating a lot of other foods by then and they really don't need the breast at all at that point.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Of course it doesn't and would certainly be perverted, but I can also say the same thing about an older child breatfeeding. Remember, we aren't talking about newborns. There is a point where the act, especially in public ceases to be acceptable. I personally believe that a lot of people would take issue with someone breastfeeding an older child in public and see it as a bit of a perversion. Also, when we are talking about PUBLIC, it inherently means things that me, my kids and everyone else needs to be exposed to.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Probably not. I'm more the type to be disgusted over pre-teens wearing shorts that show thongs, exposed buttcheeks... that sort of thing. Would I personally breastfeed for that long? I don't think so, I plan on breastfeeding for one year. But again, I try not to be judgy, and would rather go about my day instead of caring how a person chooses to feed her child.
LOLOL, you ARE joking, right? You try not to be judgy, but you are "disgusted over pre-teens wearing shorts that show thongs, exposed buttcheeks... that sort of thing"???

Last edited by NoExcuses; 06-30-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting