Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSA View Post
I had to replace a couple of pairs of pants that got holes in the knee and a shirt with a spaghetti sauce stain that even bleach couldn't get out. I would probably buy 7-8 sets (enough for a week with no laundry and 2-3 extra sets for replacing items). It could be worth it to buy the extra sets now because buying online mid-year seemed to be quite a bit more expensive. However, if your dd has a growth spurt you may need to buy mid year anyway. Do you have a younger child that might be able to use these uniforms if you don't end up using the "extras"?
Unfortunately I can't do hand me downs to my son. 7-8 sets sound like a good idea. I'll buy a couple one size bigger that the other's in case she has a growth spurt. If she doesn't use them this year she can use them next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If your budget is an issue you might consider hitting second hand shops too, or check with the school to see if they have gently used uniforms available. Our school used to do that and lots of parents donated their outgrown stuff. I know I've donated stuff that was practically brand new when my kids went through growth spurts. DS went up three pant sizes one year!
It is not a budget issue it is just that I am a penny-pincher . But I also like new stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
My daughter is getting ready for 1st grade so we have done 1 year with uniforms. Here are my thoughts (which I have been dying to share BTW). Please keep in mind though, I live in PA so some things may not apply to CA.

1) Uniform shorts for a K girl were a waste of money. The jumper and skort were fine and we both liked them better, then it got too cold, and then the shorts didn't fit anymore (and we still liked the jumpers and skort better).

2) Uniform pants that fit well and stayed up were hard to find. The big box retailers had slim pickin's by mid August. If you find some at a good price now, you should probably stock up. I ended up deciding that the ones at Lands End with the Elastic in the waist that they will custom hem were worth the money.

3) Stock up on shirts soon while they are on sale, esp. white shirts! I ended up buying 6 short sleeve shirts and 5 long sleeve ones. I had to buy 2 long sleeve shirts mid-year and they were not as good of a deal. My daughter's long sleeve shirts were pretty much trash by the end of the year - with recess, lunch and afterschool they just got so dingy eventually. I already ordered 6 long sleeve polos for this year on sale at Old Navy. On a positive note, 5 of the 6 SS shirts are still good from last year, but I will probably buy one size up if a find a good deal now and save them for spring.

4) Navy blue Leggings were hard to find after Nov or Dec. even Lands End didn't have them. I am also stocking up on them this fall. White and navy blue tights were easy to find all year at Wal-mart and Target, which was good because sometimes I felt like they were a disposable item.

5) I think Lands End may have a uniform sale in a week or 2. I recall that they did last year. I am waiting for it (hoping for it) this year to buy a new plaid skort.

6) If you like/ need the Lands End Uniforms, it is a good idea to check periodically year round. I got a good deal on jumpers and a uniform dress in late April and bought a size up.

7) Even if your school specifies a Lands End Plaid, you can probably match it elsewhere. I figured out that Lands End Clear Blue Plaid is the same as plaid 76 from other suppliers and got a great deal on some jumpers on clearance last year.

8) Recommended amounts for PA for the year: 5 SS shirts; 6-7 LS shirts. (You will probably need more SS and fewer LS) 1-2 sweaters. 5-7 bottoms (jumper, skort, pants). I'm going with 3 jumpers and 2 pants and a skort, with at least 4 pairs of leggings for under the jumpers in the winter. The jumpers and skirts/ skorts are harder to wear out so you could go with 5 if that is all she will wear.

Last edited by Scientist Mom; 07-22-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Last time I checked you can buy uniforms on ebay anytime.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Don't get duped by a uniform company's "policy." Although our kids wore uniforms only in high school, at the beginning of the year the PTA had a sale of outgrown or barely used uniforms (at the same time used textbooks were sold). Also, we could order them online, and this was several years ago. Ask around. Maybe there are parents of first graders whose kids have outgrown their uniforms and want to hand them down.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If your budget is an issue you might consider hitting second hand shops too, or check with the school to see if they have gently used uniforms available. Our school used to do that and lots of parents donated their outgrown stuff. I know I've donated stuff that was practically brand new when my kids went through growth spurts. DS went up three pant sizes one year!
I was going to suggest that. Last year I brought everything for my son and when i went to orientation they had rows and rows of clothes that parents had donated it. The school had washed and pressed them so many of them did look brand new. This year (since he's grown) I'm waiting until after the orientation.

I like new stuff too but after seeing how stained and ripped and torn he comes home from school I save new for clothes he wears when he's with me

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting