Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
You were thinking about "tipping off" the school counselor because these people don't spend a lot of time outside???!!!!

My family spends LESS time outside than this family as we have someone that does our yardwork. We don't socialize with nosy neighbors because.... they are nosy. It's not rocket science. We have nothing to hide, but then, we don't like people in our business either.

I don't want to be invited to attend your church, buy your candles or join your book club.

We are anti-social with neighbors BY CHOICE. It's not because we do drugs, molest our kids or participate in a cult.

When you see us drive away, we are going to visit friends that we have chosen to be our friends, not people that foisted their friendship upon because we live near them. Usually these are friends that we have because we have common interests.

I'm sure our neighbors are wonderful people, the salt of the earth. I just don't have a need to increase my circle of friends. If you feel the need to alert the authorities based on this, well go ahead. But I think you need a new hobby.

EXCELLENT ANSWER. I so agree!!

Remember, neighbors are not your friends, they are just people that happen to live in the same neighborhood as you.

I would say mind your own business and don't worry about your neighbors not using the back yard or whatever.

Also, they do not have to justify to anyone why they do the things or not do the things they do.

I have to say being a new person on the block it is nice if the neighbors wave hello and introduce themselves for the first time upon seeing each other.

But I am not crazy about the knocking on the door to bring cookies and introducing each other thing. That does not fly to well with me, and no, your not coming into my house either.

If a friendship happens to develops than that is great. But if it doesn't , then it was not meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Hi all-
About a year ago, a family (a mom, a dad and 2 girls who are about 16 and 9.) moved into our neighborhood.

Sounds like a 'normal' family, but they are definitely not. The biggest thing is, they're never outside! It's one thing to be more of an "inside type" of family, but literally in the four years they've lived here, the only time I ever see any of them outside is when dad is mowing the lawn, they're shoveling the driveway or when they're pulling into the garage (the garage door is always closed, as well as the front door and the blinds). The people who moved out of their house left behind a wonderful outdoor area (firepit, awesome patio/pergola, etc.) which they never use. They also left behind a nice swingset, which was taken down and a new one was put up ON the patio (the backyards in our neighborhood are huge and the old swingset was at the bottom of the yard..too far away from the house apparently?).

At first, I just figured they weren't home a whole lot. But my kids/the other neighborhood kids knock on their door and ask them to come outside and hang out with them, and us adults of the neighborhood have also knocked on their door (their phone # is unlisted) asking if they'd be interested in coming to neighborhood bonfires, happy hours, etc. and we always get the "busy" excuse. Busy with what?!?

When they first moved in, we went over, introduced ourselves, brought them cookies, etc. We chatted for maybe five minutes but it seemed like they were in a big rush to get us to leave. Nice people I guess, but like I said, we got the sense that they didn't want us on their porch talking to them.

Am I being too nosy, or does anyone think there might actually be something else going on here? I understand some people don't like to participate in neighborhood events or their kids are shy and don't like to hang out with others, but this just takes it to the extreme. Do I keep wondering, or do I do something about it?
i'm just curious if this was a type-o...they moved in last year, but you've watched them for 4 years now??

aside from that...i would suggest not communicating with them other than a wave...if it's any more than that, i can almost assure you it's a beating for them trying to end the conversation, or come up with an excuse not to hang out.

you really should work on the nosy thing...

**i'm not trying to sound snippy.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i'm just curious if this was a type-o...they moved in last year, but you've watched them for 4 years now??

aside from that...i would suggest not communicating with them other than a wave...if it's any more than that, i can almost assure you it's a beating for them trying to end the conversation, or come up with an excuse not to hang out.

you really should work on the nosy thing...

**i'm not trying to sound snippy.
Don't really know why I wrote that? They've lived here for about 4 years now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Do something about what? What in the world would you do? Could be something going on, but it could be absolutely nothing. In either case, it isn't your business.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Neither.
Stop concerning yourself with how they choose to live their lives.
I agree that too much curiosity can be a bad thing. I would mind my own business unless I heard screams coming from the house.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,508 times
Now here's the other side of the coin...

When I was 12 yrs old, there was a family that moved in across the street. The whole family really kept to themselves and the girls were both close to my age.

Well, this was the first time there was someone my age on the block, so I made a real effort to seek them out at school. We gradually became good friends. Then the younger one confided in me that now that she started her period, her dad isn't having sex with her anymore.

Well, I told my mom and she spent the afternoon on the phone. Then the next day, I found out they had MOVED OUT OVERNIGHT.

So, sometimes that creepy vibe really IS trying to tell you something.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Now here's the other side of the coin...

When I was 12 yrs old, there was a family that moved in across the street. The whole family really kept to themselves and the girls were both close to my age.

Well, this was the first time there was someone my age on the block, so I made a real effort to seek them out at school. We gradually became good friends. Then the younger one confided in me that now that she started her period, her dad isn't having sex with her anymore.

Well, I told my mom and she spent the afternoon on the phone. Then the next day, I found out they had MOVED OUT OVERNIGHT.

So, sometimes that creepy vibe really IS trying to tell you something.
damn...talk about dropping a bomb.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,938 times
I suggest you watch the movie The Burbs'. It should give you some ideas on how to proceed.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:27 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
I think you should leave them alone and respect their privacy. Just what is it that you want to do anyways? They are no concern of yours.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yes, it is very abnormal, especially for our neighborhood.

And yes, I AM a very nosy person. I'm not going to say I'm not. But something about these people just doesn't seem right. Who knows. Maybe they have a good reason not to be outside.

And the kids are homeschooled, as far as I know. My kids go to the public schools and they say that the neighbor girls do not go to their school, or any of the schools in our district for that matter.

Thank you everyone for your replies. For now I guess I'll just leave it be and if anything comes up that seems like it's actually harmful to the kids, then I'll do something.
That quality is going to get you into trouble guaranteed. Until you have a valid reason to not trust them etc besides them not going outside leave them alone.
I just thought of something....maybe they are vampires LOL Go bring them some garlic and see how they react.

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-27-2010 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting