Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I fall in that generation of "Because I don't want to."
You realize that I am only about 2.5-3 years older than you right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Is your room located in your parents' house? If yes, I would so kick you out. You're adorable, you and your "because I don't want to" generation.

But the Powers That Be will take care of things where your parents failed to. Sometimes I get all "bleeding heart" about young people today facing such harsh market realities. But every time I will see one in dire straights, I will pray that the one I am seeing is one of those who actually deserve their fate, even if unrelated to their nasty "me" attitude.
It is located in my mom's house.
But we operate on the closed door policy.
If it isn't seen it isn't there. If she can't see in here then she doesn't know.
She doesn't care either, as long as I keep my bathroom neat and clean we're all good.

I have clothes everywhere in my room, papers all over my floor, etc.
It's clean enough it doesn't bother me.
My door is shut enough it doesn't bother my mom either.

Honestly, I couldn't care enough to keep my clothes picked up. There's too many of them and I wear them so much and wash them and it feels utterly pointless to take 30 minutes to longer to fold up all the clothes in my room and stick them in the right place just to end up take them out, wearing them, putting them in my hamper, washing them and repeating the process...they can sit in my chair and spill out into my floor for all I care.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,823 times
This is not directed at txtqueen, but when did it become okay for kids to not clean up after themselves? I hear from parents all the time that the children's rooms are their spaces and they can clean them or not. I just don't understand that philosophy. My children can choose how to decorate their rooms and how to arrange their belongings, but I expect them to keep their rooms clean and relatively tidy. They have to pick up their dirty clothes and their toys, and now that they're old enough (7 and 10) they dust and sweep their rooms once a week. It's about teaching them to maintain their spaces. I've always seen that as part of the job of parenting.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You realize that I am only about 2.5-3 years older than you right?
Let me take a guess.....you're 22 or 23?
If so you're only 1-2 years old, i'll be 21 in 8 days.

And not ALL people from my generation are the "because I dont want to" group, there are some who aren't like that.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Let me take a guess.....you're 22 or 23?
If so you're only 1-2 years old, i'll be 21 in 8 days.
I'm 24.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
This is not directed at txtqueen, but when did it become okay for kids to not clean up after themselves? I hear from parents all the time that the children's rooms are their spaces and they can clean them or not. I just don't understand that philosophy. My children can choose how to decorate their rooms and how to arrange their belongings, but I expect them to keep their rooms clean and relatively tidy. They have to pick up their dirty clothes and their toys, and now that they're old enough (7 and 10) they dust and sweep their rooms once a week. It's about teaching them to maintain their spaces. I've always seen that as part of the job of parenting.
It isn't ok for kids to not clean up after themselves but if you MAKE them do it then who is going to make them do it when they live on their own....no one.
Let them not clean their rooms but when they annoyed with it being a mess THEN they will clean it and THEN they will see that when its a mess its not fun.

Ex: Do I really like searching through the pile of clothes sitting in my chair in my room, not really...
Wouldn't it be easier if I just put my stuff away and be able to find it easier? Probably.
Will I ever start doing so? Who knows...maybe when if it ever bothers me.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm 24.
Ok then 3 years older.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Ok then 3 years older.
Like I said. We are from the same generation.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
When my mom wanted me to do something and I told her I didn't wanna, she would usually say "I didn't ask you if you wanted to do it. I told you to do it. Now do it."

The first time. The second time she'd say it again, but it'd be accompanied by a smack on the butt. There was very VERY rarely a third time.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
When my mom wanted me to do something and I told her I didn't wanna, she would usually say "I didn't ask you if you wanted to do it. I told you to do it. Now do it."

The first time. The second time she'd say it again, but it'd be accompanied by a smack on the butt. There was very VERY rarely a third time.
This is similar to the way it works in our house, though the kids are a bit big for a smack on the butt. If I ask them to pick something up twice and they don't, they obviously don't want the item anymore. Most of the time, I don't want the item either, and into the rectangular file (aka garbage can) it goes. You don't take care of your things, you lose 'em!

And if my 21-year-old was living at home, either his/her room would be tidy or she'd be finding a new place to live. Clothes all over the floor? At 21? Seriously?? My 7-year-old occasionally does this; my 9-year-old never does. They both know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting