Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It isn't ok for kids to not clean up after themselves but if you MAKE them do it then who is going to make them do it when they live on their own....no one.
Let them not clean their rooms but when they annoyed with it being a mess THEN they will clean it and THEN they will see that when its a mess its not fun.

Ex: Do I really like searching through the pile of clothes sitting in my chair in my room, not really...
Wouldn't it be easier if I just put my stuff away and be able to find it easier? Probably.
Will I ever start doing so? Who knows...maybe when if it ever bothers me.
Or, I could just teach them the importance of cleanliness while they're young so that they won't be complete slobs later. Because when a parent teaches a child how to do something, the child will know how to do it as an adult. We call this parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Quote:
It is located in my mom's house.
But we operate on the closed door policy.
If it isn't seen it isn't there. If she can't see in here then she doesn't know.
She doesn't care either, as long as I keep my bathroom neat and clean we're all good.

I have clothes everywhere in my room, papers all over my floor, etc.
It's clean enough it doesn't bother me.
My door is shut enough it doesn't bother my mom either.

Honestly, I couldn't care enough to keep my clothes picked up. There's too many of them and I wear them so much and wash them and it feels utterly pointless to take 30 minutes to longer to fold up all the clothes in my room and stick them in the right place just to end up take them out, wearing them, putting them in my hamper, washing them and repeating the process...they can sit in my chair and spill out into my floor for all I care.
You're awesome. But your mom is beyond awesome. May she enjoy the fruits of the policies she implemented in her home.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
It isn't ok for kids to not clean up after themselves but if you MAKE them do it then who is going to make them do it when they live on their own....no one.
Themselves. You'll be surprised.

Quote:
Let them not clean their rooms but when they annoyed with it being a mess THEN they will clean it and THEN they will see that when its a mess its not fun.
Oh, I never cease to be amazed at the infinite wisdom of the New Age.
In reality - that "thing" modern societies have been ignoring for half a century now - human mind doesn't operate this way. A sloppy human left to his own devices will stay that way, no matter how much the sloppiness grows.

Have you heard of habits and training before? I can guarantee you that if I want my child to grow up with the habit of keeping a room clean, he will grow up that way. You start young and you insist on it with 1000 methods that are not worth mentioning here. Even the most genetically-inclined-towards-disorder child can be made to become a relatively organized adult and stay that way long after the higher authority has withdrawn from his path.

No child of the past would have been allowed to live in chaos just because that was his/her designated room.
Your mom forgot that the room in question has never been yours, but 100% hers, all the way through. Ooops.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Or, I could just teach them the importance of cleanliness while they're young so that they won't be complete slobs later. Because when a parent teaches a child how to do something, the child will know how to do it as an adult. We call this parenting.
This is true. However, there is that wonderful period of life called adolescence (which txtqueen has not exited) where kids are not capable of thinking beyond their own wants.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is true. However, there is that wonderful period of life called adolescence (which txtqueen has not exited) where kids are not capable of thinking beyond their own wants.
One more low expectation set.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
One of my 8 year olds told me "I don't want to" when I asked her to empty the dishwasher.

"Fine" i said, "I'm thinking that around 5:30 I'm not going to want to make you any supper." She ignored me and at 5:30 she asked me what was for supper.

I told her "I didn't want to make your supper so I guess you'll go to bed hungry unless you eat grapes and cheese you can find yourself in the fridge"
And that is what she did after she cried and fumed. Then she emptied the dishwasher and I haven't heard "I don't want to" again. Works for me.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
One more low expectation set.
No-just a phase of life where kids are learning to be who they REALLY are. Sometimes you have to let them make their own mistakes and sometimes you have to save them from themselves. The real art of parenthood is learning how to tell the difference.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One of my 8 year olds told me "I don't want to" when I asked her to empty the dishwasher.

"Fine" i said, "I'm thinking that around 5:30 I'm not going to want to make you any supper." She ignored me and at 5:30 she asked me what was for supper.

I told her "I didn't want to make your supper so I guess you'll go to bed hungry unless you eat grapes and cheese you can find yourself in the fridge"
And that is what she did after she cried and fumed. Then she emptied the dishwasher and I haven't heard "I don't want to" again. Works for me.
Can't rep...must spread love...yadda yadda....

Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
Quote:

That's the ticket

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:

My mom did a similar with the "If you don't want to bring your clothes downstairs I don't want to wash them"

Let's just say when I had no underwear my clothes magically appeared downstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting