Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you realize how immature it is to need your mother make phone calls for you? You're an adult! You're really doing yourself a disservice by not trying to overcome your discomfort with making phone calls. Being able to talk to people on the phone is an important life skill. Your stubbornness could be your downfall. This is about maturing. Hopefully moving out on your own will help you because you'll be put in many positions where you will HAVE to call all sorts of people.
She didn't say she needed her mom to make phone calls for her. She made it perfectly clear that when she NEEDS to call someone she does, otherwise there are other methods of communication. I only call someone when I absolutely need to, except my reason is because I have poor service at home, but you would be surprised how many other ways to get info there are these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
She didn't say she needed her mom to make phone calls for her. She made it perfectly clear that when she NEEDS to call someone she does, otherwise there are other methods of communication. I only call someone when I absolutely need to, except my reason is because I have poor service at home, but you would be surprised how many other ways to get info there are these days.
Exactly, I don't NEED her too.
I just rather not call the doctors office or I rather google my info than make a call. There is no point in calling a place when I can find the information out in a more simpler way.

If i'm going to look the number up online of a business to call them and ask them their hours, why wouldn't I just google their hours as well?

I can in under a minute find the number to somewhere with Google.
It'd take me forever to find a phonebook even if we own one, idk and then look up the number and then call and ask. It's easier to just google the hours and be done with it.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Making phone calls and effective communication is part of adult life. You can't spend your whole life communicating via text and email. Most jobs will require some level of spoken communication - whether in person or over the phone. Most likely both. Like anything else, the more you do it the more comfortable you are with it.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
This same 8 year old has problems taking her dinner dishes to the diswasher or kitchen after supper and she just leaves it there. I reminded her several times to no avail.

Then I said." If you leave your dinner dishes on the table one more time, you will have to eat your breakfast out of the dirty plate you left from the night before. '

Sure enough she left a dirty spaghetti bowl on the table and the next morning she watched in horror as I poured her cheerios into the dirty bowl. She knew I meant business as I ALMOST poured the milk over the cheerios. She begged forgiveness, ran and got a new bowl, poured the cheerios in the new bowl, put the dirty one in the dishwasher and asked me politely to pour her milk.

DH said I should have made her eat spaghetti flavored cheerios and milk but I just couldn't do it. Still she learned and most of the time she does as told. Not always but she is learning I mean what I say.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This same 8 year old has problems taking her dinner dishes to the diswasher or kitchen after supper and she just leaves it there. I reminded her several times to no avail.

Then I said." If you leave your dinner dishes on the table one more time, you will have to eat your breakfast out of the dirty plate you left from the night before. '

Sure enough she left a dirty spaghetti bowl on the table and the next morning she watched in horror as I poured her cheerios into the dirty bowl. She knew I meant business as I ALMOST poured the milk over the cheerios. She begged forgiveness, ran and got a new bowl, poured the cheerios in the new bowl, put the dirty one in the dishwasher and asked me politely to pour her milk.

DH said I should have made her eat spaghetti flavored cheerios and milk but I just couldn't do it. Still she learned and most of the time she does as told. Not always but she is learning I mean what I say.
I could never do that to someone.
That's just nasty. Down right disgusting.
I can see the point behind it but I would skip breakfast instead of eat out of a dirty bowl.
I honestly couldn't force myself to stick the food in my mouth. I'd be too grossed out.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I can see the point behind it but I would skip breakfast instead of eat out of a dirty bowl.
I honestly couldn't force myself to stick the food in my mouth. I'd be too grossed out.
Exactly. And next time you'd put the dish in the dishwasher. No yelling, screaming or hitting necessary. Just the natural consequence of actions (or lack thereof

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-18-2010 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:
Did you even read it? She didn't actually make her eat the cheerios.

I found that story endearing btw.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 AM

426 posts, read 791,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
This is similar to the way it works in our house, though the kids are a bit big for a smack on the butt. If I ask them to pick something up twice and they don't, they obviously don't want the item anymore. Most of the time, I don't want the item either, and into the rectangular file (aka garbage can) it goes. You don't take care of your things, you lose 'em!
I almost feel like doing this with my roommates belongings. It drives me nuts to have a messy "common" area.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Well, essentially life has a way of teaching us all lessons. Even if our parents allowed us to slide with "I don't want to," chances are school will not. And if school does, chances are job will not. Somewhere most of us all do learn that we have to do a lot of things in life we don't necessarily want to. Pretty much no one escapes that.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
She didn't say she needed her mom to make phone calls for her. She made it perfectly clear that when she NEEDS to call someone she does, otherwise there are other methods of communication.
She said her mother makes calls for her. Revisit her post:

Quote:
My mom tries to make me talk on the phone to places, yet I'm stubborn and will just not do it and she ends up calling for me or just calling herself.
Quote:
I only call someone when I absolutely need to, except my reason is because I have poor service at home, but you would be surprised how many other ways to get info there are these days.
This isn't about simply getting information. It's about the ability to project confidence making phone calls. People who are afraid of talking on the phone need lots of practice. Many employers do phone interviews prior to giving a face to face interview. It saves time, weeding out the undesirables more quickly. If you're uncomfortable talking on the phone, it will be obvious to an interviewer that you are not skilled at verbal communication and you won't be invited for a face to face interview. Anyone who has issues with making phone calls should be practicing as much as possible. You never know when presenting yourself well on the telephone could make a huge impact on your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting