Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,346,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Fair enough. But what made you even assume the liberty that you can go to a message board and parade their personal problems?

Would they be very amused if they know their stuff is being broadcast by a good friend??

Oh come on. Its not like she gave us their first, last names, date of birth, city they live in or their blood type for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM

751 posts, read 2,484,548 times
Dad has repeatedly told him to clean up, the son hasn't, the gf is pissed, he blows her off by sayng it isn't all his mess. He obviously has no more respect for her then the son, she needs to pack up her stuff and leave, or kick them both out if it's her place. And then go find someone who actually cares about her.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM

40,989 posts, read 49,346,309 times
Too bad the US does not have a year or two of compulsary Military service like some Europeon Countries. Kids like this could use a few years of strict disipline and motivation to get their butts out of bed every morning.

If he was my son, I'd check on getting him into one of the services. It would do him a world of good and hopefully change him from being the loser he's about to be, to being a man.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 PM

40,989 posts, read 49,346,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
If they were my dishes and I were paying for the food that he's eating, that spoiled brat would find his mess dumped on his bed to clean up, and if my boyfriend didn't like it, tough crap.
This is the mother that every kid needs.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,613,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Dad has repeatedly told him to clean up, the son hasn't, the gf is pissed, he blows her off by sayng it isn't all his mess. He obviously has no more respect for her then the son, she needs to pack up her stuff and leave, or kick them both out if it's her place. And then go find someone who actually cares about her.
It amazes me how parents will defend their kids, it could be from sheer embarrassment, but that response would bother me a bit.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,876,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Too bad the US does not have a year or two of compulsary Military service like some Europeon Countries. Kids like this could use a few years of strict disipline and motivation to get their butts out of bed every morning.

If he was my son, I'd check on getting him into one of the services. It would do him a world of good and hopefully change him from being the loser he's about to be, to being a man.
A very wise man I deeply admired once told me the same thing!

He said if we could be more like Israel and require our 18 year olds to all do two years of mandatory service to their country before they did anything else in life we'd be much better off as a country. I believe he, and you, are right

Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,118,884 times
Since there was no discussion about this before the young man moved in, I would tell Dad that we need to talk. Before the talk I would start looking for an a partment to move into. Parents usually can never see where their child is at fault. This happens more with mothers than it does with fathers, but both seem to be blind to the faults of their children. I would tell the dad, if I were the girlfriend that I don't want to be a maid to anyone and that I'm moving out until the college education is finished and the son will no longer be living in that house. No reason for her to raise her voice, just lay down the facts that she won't be used as a doormat or a slave. If I were her, I wouldn't give him an ultimatum, I would just tell him on such and such a date I was moving out.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,292,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is the mother that every kid needs.
LOL! Thanks. It's what my mother would have done. Whenever our rooms got to be unbearably messy, she would just dump everything into one huge pile in the middle of the room, and we weren't allowed to go anywhere or do anything until the pile was dismantled. "And not into 14 small piles. PUT IT AWAY."

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
It amazes me how parents will defend their kids, it could be from sheer embarrassment, but that response would bother me a bit.
I have a theory: I think it's a generational thing. When I was a kid, it was parents vs. kids. If my parents went down the block and knocked on Mrs. Keegan's door, she would say, "Oh, gawd, what did Danny do NOW?" Not, "Not MY son," like so many of today's parents.

Of course, it didn't hurt that all of the parents knew each other socially and were always having parties in the neighborhood. All of the post-war cookie-cutter GI Bill houses in my neighborhood on Long Island came with bars in the basement, and the new suburbanites made good use of them. Each family was known for hosting one particular holiday--across the street was Independence Day because they had the built-in pool, across and down one was Labor Day, next door was Memorial Day, four doors down the other way was New Year's, my family was Halloween (one year my father painted the basement black just for the party).

Now? No one knows their neighbors and everyone's a suspect, so if our kids get into a fight, your kid is a juvie while my kid is an angel. Honestly? One reason I never had kids is because of other parents.

Last edited by Yzette; 08-20-2010 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,613,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

I have a theory: I think it's a generational thing. When I was a kid, it was parents vs. kids. If my parents went down the block and knocked on Mrs. Keegan's door, she would say, "Oh, gawd, what did Danny do NOW?" Not, "Not MY son," like so many of today's parents.

Of course, it didn't hurt that all of the parents knew each other socially and were always having parties in the neighborhood. All of the post-war cookie-cutter GI Bill houses in my neighborhood on Long Island came with bars in the basement, and the new suburbanites made good use of them. Each family was known for hosting one particular holiday--across the street was Independence Day because they had the built-in pool, across and down one was Labor Day, next door was Memorial Day, four doors down the other way was New Year's, my family was Halloween (one year my father painted the basement black just for the party).

Now? No one knows their neighbors and everyone's a suspect, so if our kids get into a fight, your kid is a juvie while my kid is an angel. Honestly? One reason I never had kids is because of other parents.
Theres been a few threads on the topic about neighbors and why people are so distant, a lot of opinion on why its happened.

This generation of parents take critizism of their kids as though its a personal attack on themselves, admitting their child is wrong, would be like admitting they hadn't taught them any differently and a reflextion of their parenting. In the end though, parents pay a price for all the defending and denial.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,779,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Have I identified them? Are all the posts on this board merely about ourselves? Go get a clue before you hurt yourself. You know nothing about my loyalties.
But you love selling their drama. Quite a hobby you have. Hobby away.

Oh by the way, can't wait for your next thread. Keep us posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting