Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 10:20 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I have 2 daughters. My oldest slept with us until she was 3. Her room was at the other end of the house and I was afraid she would throw up or something in the middle of the night and get choked. She would always sleep with us if she was sick up until about the age of 10. My hubby would sometimes go out of town for work and she would always sleep with me. I loved that time with her. Laying in bed talking, watching a movie together and me rubbing her hair until she fell asleep. We haven't done that it years and I miss that. Hubby hasn't went out of town for yrs. With my now 2 yr old, she still sleeps with us. We have a new house with the bedrooms close. For Christmas she will be getting a new bed and we will start moving her in her own room. For me I like my kids to be out of diapers, walking well (if thet need to come get me) and talking well (so they can call me if they need me) before the sleep on their own.

For us we always put a sleeping child on the sofa while we did "our thing" or the child stayed in the bed and we went somewhere else. This would be after they were about 6 mths old.
Myself and MrFinsterRufus did the same thing. We moved when our daughter was 3 and she subsequently moved into her own room on her own accord, because we got lots of bright pillows and bedding and she wanted to sleep in her big bed, and she's not come into our room since. (MrFinsterRufus is still getting over it).

Funnily enough, I have been sleeping in her bed because my in-laws have been in town for the last week, with hubby on the couch, and last night she said I wasn't allowed to sleep with her because she wanted to quite catorgorically "sleep in my bed, by myself, not with you, Mommy". Oh well, maybe I snore or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:52 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Sounds to me like some of the parents want this co-sleeping more than the child does. Maybe a teddy bear for the parent would be a good investment.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Sounds to me like some of the parents want this co-sleeping more than the child does. Maybe a teddy bear for the parent would be a good investment.
I wonder sometimes...

I remember a Super Nanny episode where the family all slept together. While Jo was observing, the mom took the sleeping baby out of the crib to take her to bed with her. The mom was the one with the issue, in that case. She "didn't want to let her babies grow up" and admitted it herself.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I wonder sometimes...

I remember a Super Nanny episode where the family all slept together. While Jo was observing, the mom took the sleeping baby out of the crib to take her to bed with her. The mom was the one with the issue, in that case. She "didn't want to let her babies grow up" and admitted it herself.

Oh come on you guys, why take a light-hearted post and turn it into something negative? Our child enjoyed sleeping with us when she was an infant/toddler and so did we, and my point was she transitioned into her own bed without any problems and is totally secure there - and her Daddy loves her and is sentimental about her getting older and more independent.

There's really nothing to b*tch about here.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh come on you guys, why take a light-hearted post and turn it into something negative? Our child enjoyed sleeping with us when she was an infant/toddler and so did we, and my point was she transitioned into her own bed without any problems and is totally secure there - and her Daddy loves her and is sentimental about her getting older and more independent.

There's really nothing to b*tch about here.
I wasn't talking about you, specifically.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
We never planned on co sleeping but it was what worked best for us and to our surprise it was something that we grew to love. I am fully confident that our dd will move into her own bed when she's ready. It's not an issue that needs solving, it's just how we've chosen to sleep.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Whoever repped me for my post Blech How Tacky...Why thank you! But I must say it is very tacky of you to hide behind anonymity.

Some of us don't 'chose' to co-sleep, it just happens and for our reasons it suits us. Hubby and I have a great marriage before we co-sleeped and even now after. If anything it gives us a chance to enjoy ourselves outside the 'box' or the puritan realm of only sex in the marital bed. At least we are not having sex in the same bed or room as our child.

So Mr/Mrs Blech How Tacky until the day you or someone on CD forum or any forum or IRL wins Parent of the Year Award, no one is perfect and I am sure there is plenty of 'tackiness' about you.

So again thank you, I really do appreciate the points! Ta!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I wasn't talking about you, specifically.
Just generally, huh? That was the chance I took responding to your post. Kinda looked like it as you quoted Kathleen1971 who I'm pretty sure was getting a little dig in.

Apologies if I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Finster, most of us are reacting to the OP, and discussion surrounding the OP, and the OP's subsequent posts.

The basic summary:

Mom and dad sleep, intentionally, on a nightly basis, with a baby and a toddler. They ALSO sleep, intentionally, on a -near-nightly basis, with a 7-year-old daughter. They ALSO do -not- encourage their 7-year-old daughter to sleep in her own bed. They ALSO have sex in their bed, when they're "too lazy" to have sex somewhere else. While there are at least two, and possibly all three children in bed with them, one of them a toddler old enough to at least ask questions and be able to describe to the neighbor what she thinks she saw mommy and daddy doing while they were all in bed together last night. And possibly also while the 7-year-old is in bed with them as well.

There are other disturbing traits here - but the notion that the 7-year-old is NOT being encouraged to learn how to sleep in her own room, IS being encouraged to sleep with her mommy and daddy, and is being encouaged to do so, with parents who WILL have sex in the family bed, while the kids are there, is just..nasty. Nasty nasty nasty.

There is nothing wrong with the family bed, if the family bed is being used as a family bed, without sex going on at the same time, in that family bed, with the family present to witness it. There's not even anything particularly wrong with having sex in the family bed if the family consists of mom, dad, and a newborn baby or infant, though I can't imagine how anyone would get horny while their baby is right THERE on the mattress experiencing every bounce of the bed...

There's nothing wrong with young kids needing to feel safe cuddling with mom in bed after a nightmare, or during a storm, and I'd even go so far as to say I have no problem with that at ANY age, when a child needs to cuddle with her mom during a traumatic event (even a child who's a full grown adult, whose husband just died - might want to cuddle with her mom - I'm FINE with that).

But we're not talking about any of that in this thread. No one has a problem with any of that in this thread. What people have a problem with, is the OP and the OP's subsequent posts about the OP's specific situation.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Just generally, huh? That was the chance I took responding to your post. Kinda looked like it as you quoted Kathleen1971 who I'm pretty sure was getting a little dig in.
You would be wrong. If I was speaking specifially about you I would have either quoted you or mentioned you by name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting