Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:05 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I hope your OUTSIDE image isn't all you are thinking about. All we've learned from you has to do with the outside. Piercings, bracelets. As I've said before, now is also the time to put some serious thought and effort into becoming a strong, in-control, DIGNIFIED, quality woman. You can "project" all you want but true control of your life comes when you start being responsible for who you are inside.

Nag, nag, nag.
I am bettering who I am as a person on the inside.
For so long in high school, I did what I thought everyone wanted me to do.
Granted parts of it were what I wanted to do as well but I wasn't me.
Now, I am free to be who I choose, take me or leave me.
By making theses changes in my life I am also changing myself on the inside, im being decisive, I am being true to myself, I am embracing who I truly am.

I am tired of my old image. I am tired of looking younger than I really am.
I am 21 and people still think I am about 16 or so, a lot of it isn't things I can't change, I'm short, I'm small and I have a VERY young face. I look sweet, young, naive and innocent and I am tired of it. People push me around, people underestimate me, guys my age over look me, I am not taken serious, and people think I am someone I am not just by how I look.
I am not a child and I am not naive and innocent. I am a 21 year old woman who is working and going to college and looking for things out of life that I should. I am always checking about different schooling opportunities, looking for different/better jobs I can work, thinking about my future, looking for someone to possibly start a serious relationship with or just have fun, whatever comes my way.

I don't want to look like a cute dorky awkward teenager anymore, I don't want to wear the same clothes I did when I was 15.
I want to look my age and look good, I want to be found attractive by more than 15 year old boys...

Right now, I am taking control of my life and those alterations on the outside are not the only things I am changing, there's a lot of changing on the inside too that I am doing but the outside is the quickest and easiest thing I can do, all the other stuff gets worked on as I go.
But getting everything the way I want it, including myself is my main goal right now, I of course do my school and work on the days I have it and put in my effort while I am there, but me is my main goal.

But this thread isn't about me and I was simply just responding to DDI's post.

Now back to the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why don't you?

How old are you?
I'm 25. For the record, I only have my earlobes pierced, but I do have a tattoo on my ankle (easy to hide). My parents laughed and said they would never do it themselves, but it's my body and I am free to do whatever I want. They were far more concerned with whether I did well in school, got a full-time job, and didn't date creepy people.

I'm actually surprised that some people still have an issue with a cartilage piercing in an adult. I work with a wide range of people (20s-50s) and I don't know a single person who would think twice about it! Several other people I work with have tattoos. Seriously, if you have an issue with a mainstream piercing, will you have a heart attack if you find out your child gets a tattoo?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
You don't know they are following fads either. Maybe on Wednesdays nights at 9 or 10 you should tune in to tlc and watch la ink. You would be amazed her personal many tattoos are to people. Not everyone is getting things because they are a fad. And as for jobs....my brother has 6 tattoos and is a doctor. My uncle has 3 and he is a senior engineer for ibm. So YOU were saying?
It's partially because of shows like LA Ink that create the "fad" though. I'm not saying people wouldn't get tattoos otherwise but people who never thought to get one, or even disliked them, will often go with the flow if they see everyone else doing it. We use that phrase a lot for a reason.

For most "regular folk" it's not going to be an issue for employment. For others who may work in certain industries, or in the global arena, it could be. I watch dozens of HS kids, mostly boys, do more than just get a tattoo though, full sleeve, all over the calf, the neck, etc. These guys couldn't see past hanging out at the tattoo parlor with their friends or playing in their garage band when they did this. If I see them in 20 years and they have never evolved past that sort of thing it's then a question of why...was it their natural slacker tendencies or the tattoos?. Who knows. I don't care.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Some parents want their children to stay at their house a few years past 18. Saying "As long as you live in my house, you live by my rules" is a sure fire way to have a kid take you up on the "here's the door." YOU might be totally happy watching your 18 year old hit the streets before being ready to take care of him/herself OR you might think your child wouldn't head out the door. But there are parents who know better than to pressure their children into moving out too soon. There's such a thing as choosing your battles. Just because a parenting style is different than yours doesn't make it wrong.
If my kids are living at home from 18yrs + (other than breaks), I'm going to have to wonder what the hell I did wrong.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
If my kids are living at home from 18yrs + (other than breaks), I'm going to have to wonder what the hell I did wrong.
So are you saying there is something so wrong with people over 18 living at home?

I moved between my 10th and 11th grade years.
My new school wouldn't accept 1/4 of my 10th grade credits from my last school.
I got mono 2nd semester and missed all but the last month and a half and failed all but one class.
I missed out on soccer due to my mono.

My last school, I had a spot on the varsity soccer team.
I was current in my credits.
I already knew what college I wanted to attend and live on campus and could easily get into that college.
I had a car ready for when I got my license.
I had always had a job from when I was like 15 on.

I had my life just perfectly lined up.
Then my mom split with the guy she was with and we moved and I lost everything.
My chances of getting into a 4 year were gone due to my grades from getting mono.

My life got ruined.
I am now repairing everything.

I would do anything to be back in NY, to have played soccer for the rest of school, had open campus, been involved in the powerpuff football games my jr/sr years, done sleep out for the homeless 2 more times, had a car, had my job, had my BEST friends, and then gone off to the college where I did all my soccer camps, lived in the on campus apartments and been happy.

There's nothing wrong with me.
And yeah I hold a huge grudge against my mom for everything that happened. I was promised I wasn't going to be uprooted in high school and she knew how much it meant to me to stay in one place and she didn't care at all.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Im sorry but because you view piercings differently then others it does not mean you need to take a tone. I had my first belly button ring at the age of 12, I wanted to express myself and my aunt is professional piercer. Before I even turned 18 I had 15 piercings, after I turned 18 I got 2 tattoos it does not make me trashy in anyway everysingle one of my piercings means something to me and so do my tattoos, because you dont agree with it does not mean you have to be rude to others who do agree with.
How do you hear tone on a debate board?

12 years old? Was that in 6th grade or 7th grade? 15 piercings by 18? Who let you do that? I'd pull the first right the frig out of my kid and seriously think about boarding school.

Let me tell you something : when you do all of that to your body you seriously limit yourself in the future.

I had an 18 year old summer intern years ago. So proud of the butterfly she got tatted around her belly button. Ok, it was cute. I asked her where she thought the wings and the antennae would end up when she was 9 months preggo? Right wing somewhere around her appendix? Left wing up under her arm pit? Antennae under her boobs? She didn't think that far. Horrified, when speaking of her reaction, isn't the word.

I have employees who have SO regretted their childhood anti-social behavior once they grew up and left the goth "culture" and "screwing the man" behind them. Really expensive to get tatts removed and those piercing scars - well, plastic surgery is even more expensive. Especially trying to get those over-stretch ridiculous looking earlobes sewn back together.

Piercings MEAN something? Like what? I don't know, so please share? To me, it usually means you can wear earrings. Like one or two or maybe 3 in each ear. A tongue piercing means you're gonna play with that thing in your mouth to the point of not only to your own distraction, but everyone around you (not to mention the damage it does to the teeth/speech/palate). Eyebrow? Lip? Nose (love the ones you can see the post moving around in (nose) while they're talking...really, a great look!).

To each their own, but I don't have to like it just as much as you don't have to like what I think OF it.

Last edited by Informed Info; 09-16-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,463 times
Quote:

12 years old? Was that in 6th grade or 7th grade? 15 piercings by 18? Who let you do that? I'd pull the first right the frig out of my kid and seriously think about boarding school.

Let me tell you something : when you do all of that to your body you seriously limit yourself.

I have employees who have SO regretted their childhood anti-social behavior once they grew up and left the goth "culture" and "screwing the man" behind them. Really expensive to get tatts removed and those piercing scars - well, plastic surgery is even more expensive. Especially trying to get those over-stretch ridiculous looking earlobes sewn back together.

Piercings MEAN something? It usually means you can wear earrings. Like one or two or maybe 3 in each ear. A tongue piercing means you're gonna play with that thing in your mouth to the point of not only to your own distraction, but everyone around you (not to mention the damage it does to the teeth/speech/palate). Eyebrow? Lip? Nose (love the ones you can see the post moving around in while they're talking...really, a great look!) What's the point?

To each their own, but I don't have to like it just as much as you don't have to like what I think OF it.

Due to the fact I was unschooled it was no grade. My body, My choice. And my mother let me do it because her sister is a professional piercer. I won't mind if my child asks for a belly piercing. I had two holes in my ear by the time I was 2 anyways. None of my piercings are on my face, all of my piercings are on my ears and in my belly button.

I'm guessing you've also never heard a writing tone?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Let me tell you something : when you do all of that to your body you seriously limit yourself.

Piercings MEAN something? It usually means you can wear earrings. Like one or two or maybe 3 in each ear. A tongue piercing means you're gonna play with that thing in your mouth to the point of not only to your own distraction, but everyone around you (not to mention the damage it does to the teeth/speech/palate). Eyebrow? Lip? Nose (love the ones you can see the post moving around in while they're talking...really, a great look!) What's the point?

You're worried about scarring yet you'd actually RIP a piercing out of your childs/young adults flesh?????
WHO DOES THAT?
Oh thats right those crazy people with the meth mouths who end up on the news via mug shot after being arrested for beating their kids with a skillet.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats pretty harsh, and rather judgmental.
My daughter turned 18 in Debember, has a couple of piercings, and 1 tattoo. She just got hiring by Lockheed-Martin, and is on the fast track to go into their engineering college program, so she doesnt have to spend her college money.
She doesnt smoke, do drugs, or drink, and has had the same boyfriend for 3 years.
Yeah, shes going nowhere.

Visible tatts? Visible piercings?

Lockheed-Martin has it's own college or she is going to use her employee status and monies available to LM employees to go to college?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Visible tatts? Visible piercings?

Lockheed-Martin has it's own college or she is going to use her employee status and monies available to LM employees to go to college?
-sigh- They will send viable candidates to college on their dime, pending a 5 year contract to work for them. No non-compete clause, they actually believe in the future generation, they look beyond surface decoration, to actual IQ and ability.
My child has a sizable college fund, she chose to go this route because she is smart enough to realize that if she goes this route, she can use her college fund to buy a house, AND get a college education with NO debt.
So, are you saying LM is a bad place to work?
Oh, and her degree will be in some facet of engineering, UF, UCF, USF, or other universities in other states, should she choose to transfer out of state.
You really thought LM has its own college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting