Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 AM

251 posts, read 417,309 times

Advertisements

My wife was born in australia and moved to L.A. in 2004. We met soon after. She did mention that at some point in the future she did want to go back home to australia. We got married in 2006 and she became pregnant last year. So we left the states and moved to australia. Now I am surrounded by her family and I am not sure I like it. Added to that, her father had 5 girls and I am sure he wanted a boy. Well when my wife was 20 weeks we got a gender scan and guess what we had? A boy. Now I feel like her father is going overboard. He is always over the house when I am at work (my wife is on maternity leave) and I feel like he feels like my son is his son. He even bought him a football jersey and said that my son is going to support his team....for life. What do I do? As the father, isnt my boy supposed to inherit his daddy's interests, to a point? your opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Wow, what haven't you changed recently? New country, new job, new child, new extended family members. I don't think I could put a coherent sentence together if I'd recently done all that.

My first comment would be to relax. Your son knows who his dad is. And your FIL can push any team he wants on your son. At some point your son will have his own tastes and opinions and nothing's going to change that. (My brother decided he was a Dallas Cowboys fan after being raised in a Redskins household. Thanks, Roger Staubach.)

What does your wife think? Your FIL may be providing the support she needs right now while you're at work. First time motherhood can be overwhelming and just having another adult to talk to can make a big difference. I'm sure it's tough having another man spend all that time with your son when you wish, I imagine, that it was you who had that much time.

I'd take a wait and see approach. If your FIL has always longed for a son, his excitement at having a grandson is understandable. That may/probably will wear off a bit. Elevating his involvement into an "issue" may not be necessary and can color your dealings with all your wife's relatives for years to come.

Good luck with all the changes in your life and congratulations on your son.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 AM

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Wow, what haven't you changed recently? New country, new job, new child, new extended family members. I don't think I could put a coherent sentence together if I'd recently done all that.

My first comment would be to relax. Your son knows who his dad is. And your FIL can push any team he wants on your son. At some point your son will have his own tastes and opinions and nothing's going to change that. (My brother decided he was a Dallas Cowboys fan after being raised in a Redskins household. Thanks, Roger Staubach.)

What does your wife think? Your FIL may be providing the support she needs right now while you're at work. First time motherhood can be overwhelming and just having another adult to talk to can make a big difference. I'm sure it's tough having another man spend all that time with your son when you wish, I imagine, that it was you who had that much time.

I'd take a wait and see approach. If your FIL has always longed for a son, his excitement at having a grandson is understandable. That may/probably will wear off a bit. Elevating his involvement into an "issue" may not be necessary and can color your dealings with all your wife's relatives for years to come.

Good luck with all the changes in your life and congratulations on your son.
this is like one of the NICEST responses I have EVER seen on the internet! Thank you! Your take definitely puts things in perspective for me. You arer 100% correct, my wife DOES need the support while I am at work, and that is why i havent really bothered her too much over this.

I will definitely dwell on what you have said as I think its incredibly good advice. Thanks so much!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Your FIL is excited. Would you prefer if he completely ignored your son

Last edited by KylieEve; 09-23-2010 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: .

Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Your FIL is excited. Would you prefer if he completely ignored your son
yes.

Oh the stories I could tell you

Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
yes.

Oh the stories I could tell you

Awww don't say that....his enthusiasm will calm down after a bit. I wonder though if maybe you are feeling a bit jealous and this is fueling this?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
My wife was born in australia and moved to L.A. in 2004. We met soon after. She did mention that at some point in the future she did want to go back home to australia. We got married in 2006 and she became pregnant last year. So we left the states and moved to australia. Now I am surrounded by her family and I am not sure I like it. Added to that, her father had 5 girls and I am sure he wanted a boy. Well when my wife was 20 weeks we got a gender scan and guess what we had? A boy. Now I feel like her father is going overboard. He is always over the house when I am at work (my wife is on maternity leave) and I feel like he feels like my son is his son. He even bought him a football jersey and said that my son is going to support his team....for life. What do I do? As the father, isnt my boy supposed to inherit his daddy's interests, to a point? your opinions please.

Wow! You have been through a lot. Congratulations and good luck on the pregnancy. I hope your wife is feeling well and that the rest of her pregnancy goes well. Enjoy this special time together.

I think your FIL is just excited about the prospect of a grandson. New babies are exciting for everyone involved, especially grandparents. Add his excitement at a boy grandchild after 5 daughters.

He probably is going overboard. Just let him. A boy's relationship with his grandfather is special. It doesn't take the place of a boy's relationship with his father, it is IN ADDITION to that relationship. My sons are all very close with my father.

As far as interests......We are all Jets fans. All of us on both sides of the family. But my oldest child discovered football when Kurt Warner was with the St. Louis Rams and he started following the Rams. So your son will find his own interests, which may be fueled by you, FIL or some outside force that you cannot control.

Just have fun with your new baby and let your FIL have his fun.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Try not to let it bother you too much. We grandparents are strange creatures, but we mean well. Just let your wife know how you feel, so she can take that into consideration in her dealings with her father.
Let her regulate the frequency with her father, so you don't become the bad guy.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I think you should be happy and you've probably got a great and free babysitter.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Your FIL probably missed his daughter while she lived in the United States since 2004!

That's a LONG TIME to go without seeing your adult children very often.

He's probably just excited to have her back in Australia and feels he has a lot of catching up to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting