Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Do you think he is being abused at home? Could that be why he knows no other way to handle things????
That's one possibility and it's the most likely one, ime. The other is the opposite possibility. He could be neglected and never have had any guidance in terms of proper behavior.

It's hard to tell what is going on.

He might have relatives who are violent with others and he has picked up their behavior even if they haven't abused him. It might not be his parents. It could be cousins or other relatives too.

The school should definitely be involving their psychologist and counselors.

Dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Do you think he is being abused at home?
It's extremely possible!

Read this: Bullying and its Relation to Child Abuse, Sexual Victimization, Domestic Violence, and Witnessing Community Violence | Education.com

Quote:
Could that be why he knows no other way to handle things????
It's clear he doesn't know any other way to handle things. Even if he isn't abused at home, he definitely needs professional help learning how to overcome whatever is cause him to behave the way he does. Punishment alone will just make him more frustrated and angry if he isn't offered resources to provide him with the tools to improve his behavior. That's why I'm so upset by these Zero Tollerance and Bullying policies. They don't fully address the problem. You know why? The damn polices are only in place to protect the school districts from lawsuits. The school districts don't care about solving the problem. They just want to say "We did what we were required to do. We have this policy." But the problems don't really get appropriately resolved.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times
I recall his mom telling him that he couldn't use the computer as a form of punishment.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM

208 posts, read 271,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why I'm so upset by these Zero Tollerance and Bullying policies. They don't fully address the problem. You know why? The damn polices are only in place to protect the school districts from lawsuits. The school districts don't care about solving the problem. They just want to say "We did what we were required to do. We have this policy." But the problems don't really get appropriately resolved.
I agree completely with this. They remove common sense, logical thought, problem-solving, taking an individual approach, considering the external factors.....

Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't waste any energy on WHY the child is the way he is. I would spend all my energy making sure my child is protected. If the pattern persists you need to send a letter to the school asking them to outline, in writing, what they are going to do to rectify the situation. If the hitting persists, I would file a police report. You need to protect your child.
She'll better protect her child if she insists the school district evaluate and provide this bully with the proper resources. They will be going to school together for many years, and they live in the same neighborhood. Taking the "I'm only gonna worry about my kid" approach isn't going to truly protect her kid in the long run.

Quote:
The troubled child's name is David and he has been violent since he was 4. He is now 7.
There you go. Proof the school hasn't been doing anything to properly resolve this. Take the pictures. DEFINITELY write the letter I recommended that you write. A threat of a lawsuit will get this school to do what needs to be done. This is not a time to take the meek approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The school should definitely be involving their psychologist and counselors.
Absolutely!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
I would, lisalan, just to be on the safe side. Don't make a big deal out of it. Your son doesn't have to know all the details. If David has been violent for three years there is stuff going on behind closed doors.

Kids get in fights. That's almost to be expected. But there is often one child who, for reasons unclear, REALLY acts out. David sounds like that child. He needs help. Your son and the other kids could probably tell you stories of other things he has done.

There are going to be other people coming on here saying we are all over-reacting. But I've lived a londg time and I can practically smell trouble. This David is trouble. I'll tell you one thing: I wouldn't TRY to deal with his parents. I'll bet they're trouble too. Go through the system. Don't freak out your son. But you're his mom. He's too small to know how to deal with a kid like David himself. (I'll bet, too, that if you talked to other parents THEY all have "David stories".)

Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM

I'm going to have a talk with my son and ask him about the other things David has done. I'm going to have a serious conversation with David's teacher at the meeting.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-19-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There are going to be other people coming on here saying we are all over-reacting. But I've lived a londg time and I can practically smell trouble. This David is trouble. I'll tell you one thing: I wouldn't TRY to deal with his parents. I'll bet they're trouble too. Go through the system. Don't freak out your son. But you're his mom. He's too small to know how to deal with a kid like David himself. (I'll bet, too, that if you talked to other parents THEY all have "David stories".)

Someone already did I'm sure there will be more.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
This is the program our old elementary school used, just in case you are interested.

Second Step Grades 1

Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have a talk with my son and ask him about the other things David has done. I'm going to have a serious conversation with David's teacher at the meeting.
You need to do more than have a serious conversation with his teacher. You need to put it in writing and send the letter to the principal. You need to make it clear that you expect the school district to have this child evaluated and receiving all relevant services to address his problems---worded as I stated in a previous post. If you don't want to outright threaten a lawsuit, just exclude that part from what I posted previously. Just the mere fact you are sending them a letter will make that clear enough on it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting