Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

There was a big flap about userid's being shared with third party advertisers this past week. While it doesn't seem to be a huge deal, it was mostly with people who play those games. So just be aware.

PC World Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
There was a big flap about userid's being shared with third party advertisers this past week. While it doesn't seem to be a huge deal, it was mostly with people who play those games. So just be aware.

PC World Article
It's best to keep the gamers in a separate file w/ all privacy settings on.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I can appreciate that Facebook is useful. I just don't think my daughter is mature enough at this point to keep in mind what's appropriate to post and what isn't. It's clear that some adults, like the woman I mentioned, aren't either.
You are 100% right! My daughters have proved to me that they ARE mature enough to have a Facebook, so I allow it. However, so many of their friends post such stupid stuff that sometimes I really just want to comment on the post and say "WTF?!" Even some adults do that too- a mom of my son's friend literally posts 10 or more statuses a day- eventually I just deleted her as a friend.. because honestly, I do not really care to know every detail of her life!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
You are 100% right! My daughters have proved to me that they ARE mature enough to have a Facebook, so I allow it. However, so many of their friends post such stupid stuff that sometimes I really just want to comment on the post and say "WTF?!" Even some adults do that too- a mom of my son's friend literally posts 10 or more statuses a day- eventually I just deleted her as a friend.. because honestly, I do not really care to know every detail of her life!
Actually, you didn't have to delete her as a friend. All you had to do is click to not have her messages/updates show. I have some friends that I have to click on their wall to see what they're up to, others, I love the daily contact w/ them.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Actually, you didn't have to delete her as a friend. All you had to do is click to not have her messages/updates show. I have some friends that I have to click on their wall to see what they're up to, others, I love the daily contact w/ them.
Interesting! I never knew that..thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Interesting! I never knew that..thanks!
It's not easy to see. On the news feed, find a person you no longer wish to read about every minute. Run you curser from the line their name/writing starts over to the right and you will see a little black "x" highlight. Click on that and you can choose to hide their messages.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
I have three kids. 10, 12, and 16. The 16 yo is the only one with an account and he just opened it last year. The 12 yo couldn't care less... he just isn't into it. My baby is jonesing for an account. We won't allow her to have one until she's 14. She is just too nieve to have one. I do not worry about her little friends, but there are some creeps out there and until she is more aware of the big bad world, she will not have one. She will not have a cell until she is 12 either. There is no need for it. She can socialize in person or on a landline. Yes, we monitor her online access and limit her time online. They are kids. They act immaturely. They need to understand consequences BEFORE they have a page dedicated to themselves.

BTW, when she has an acct, I will have the password and I will lock it down if I need to. I do like the idea of me knowing the password and having emails sent to me.... good ideas to put in my parenting arsenal.

My oldest and I had an agreement that I wouldn't embarass him by posting on his page. I can respect that as long as I have access. He now has changed his password and I don't have full access. That is fine. In the time he has had it, there has not been one incident to cause alarm.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM

I get more satisfaction out of deleting people....can't help it

When I first starting using facebook I accepted anyone who requested. I just got tired of the minutia - I had to ask myself, "okay, so if there wasn't facebook, would I really care about what this person was doing - would I have given a flip about reconnecting with them?". The answer to the majority was no.

I mainly just stay connected with family and a few, few friends. It's a rare day that I ever post a status.

My 16 year old son has a page and rarely gets on. He will turn his laptop towards me occasionally to show me what incredibly stupid stuff kids from his school are posting. The thing they have to realize - and anyone as a parent has to realize, is you can have your settings and privacy set tight all day long...but you can't stop someone else from posting a picture, etc. of you on there page.

One of the pictures he showed me was of a girl who had her picture taken at a party, chugging beer - someone else had posted the picture of her.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
If you unfriend somebody will they know? I like the idea of just using the x box.

I have a relative who posts pictures of every dead animal he shoots complete with arrow still in and guts. He also posts videos of every animal who walks by his deer stand. What a turn off. I think he is deliberately trying to gross out folks.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM

It doesn't send them a message. You'll just disappear from their list. So if you post a lot and they like what you posted, they might wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting