Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM

345 posts, read 474,071 times

Advertisements

---I was truly just incredulous when he said he sits with her to do her homework.

she asked for help; it was in pre-calc. I was a math major. would it have been better for me to say no when she was failing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
If you are having problems with accessibility and having trouble getting an appointment with the therapist it is the universe's way of telling you to find another therapist. Which you have done.

I cannot emphasize enough how beneficial peer-therapy groups can be. (That's a huge part of what AA is all about.) The camaraderie that is built is amazing. She'll realize she isn't alone or the only strange one who doesn't fit into the world. Which may be the biggest gift you can give her.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great post and great advice

SadDad definitely needs to see the therapist alone. Daughter is not the only one with issues that need individual attention. Some professional guidance for him could go a long way toward benefiting his daughter, as he seems so alone in what he is facing.
He obviously loves his daughter, but it's to the point where he's smothering her as a person. No phone and no permission to use the car from time to time...it's no wonder she doesn't have friends. He's not allowing her that contact.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
--- If she flunks out, tell her that she can work and pay for the next semester and if she passes, you'll reimburse her.

The school she wants to go to accepts 24+ ACT; she scored 29 so she is in. I told her to apply and get the admission. If she straightens up with her studying she can go, but if not then CC until she does. I wanted to give her something concrete to work towrads.
That will backfire on you i fear. Because if she doesn't ever go she will blame you for standing in the way of her dream. And through scholarships and working a job she could go anyway despite you.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM

---No phone and no permission to use the car from time to time...it's no wonder she doesn't have friends. He's not allowing her that contact.

This is the first time.

I do not choose her friends. I do not choose her boyfriends. I do not choose her courses. She has a curfew that bends if something comes up.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 AM

---That will backfire on you i fear. Because if she doesn't ever go she will blame you for standing in the way of her dream. And through scholarships and working a job she could go anyway despite you.

You seem quite opinionated against me or anything I do/ask. I came here for some advise and all you've really done is point out what an ogre I am and that the best thing that can happen for my daughter is for her to escape me ASAP.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
---I was truly just incredulous when he said he sits with her to do her homework.

she asked for help; it was in pre-calc. I was a math major. would it have been better for me to say no when she was failing?

But in your first statement this is what you said:

"When I sit with her to do homework there is no point, she is able to learn the material by herself. She just doesn't."

That in no way sounds like what you are now trying to make it out to be - that you were just "tutoring" her in your subject field.

It doesn't sound to me like she asked for your help at all, sorry.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
---That will backfire on you i fear. Because if she doesn't ever go she will blame you for standing in the way of her dream. And through scholarships and working a job she could go anyway despite you.

You seem quite opinionated against me or anything I do/ask. I came here for some advise and all you've really done is point out what an ogre I am and that the best thing that can happen for my daughter is for her to escape me ASAP.
Honestly, I don't think anyone here thinks you are an ogre!

We can all see how worried you are about your daughter.

But we are concerned that you aren't seeing how controlling you are being with her and what the detrimental effects of that are for her.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
Quote:

Because you are playing with her education based off of what you view as probabilities. You have to let her get on that bike and fall off...and get back on. And i am giving you advice...back off some and let her grow as an adult. Her weight can have several factors but if you have a poor diet or you yourself is overweight she won't have much motivation to lose it. You never answered me on that so i might be wrong on that.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 AM

That in no way sounds like what you are now trying to make it out to be - that you were just "tutoring" her in your subject field.

It doesn't sound to me like she asked for your help at all, sorry.
------------

Sorry, math majoir; not an english major and I did not want to write 20 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting