Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 AM

193 posts, read 1,028,110 times

Advertisements

I have a 12 year old son who is very intelligent yet gets along with everyone. I am noticing a couple of girls stopping at the house and calling him on his cell phone. Yet I know, you say cell phone-at 12? Yes, he has a cell phone because he walks to his junior high for music everyday and it is a mile away from whom and he crosses busy streets. My concern is this; am I crazy to think my child is just not interested in girls? I have had talks with him about the birds and the bees but nothing really in depth to this point. He is not a phone talker so when they call him it is usually short. My friends and co-workers said I should not even let me talk on the phone at his age. Am I being to nieve to think he is to young to be that interested in girls yet. He is my oldest and I am not sure how to handle this or if I should do anything at all. I am the only female in my house with a husband and 3 sons. I don't know what age boys start getting interested in girls. I here girls find interest in boys much sooner.

Please give me advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
okay, im sorry but im laffing cause I remember when i was 12, sorry but yes ur being nieve, at 12 most boys are very interested in girls, some sexually interested--yes, sexually, im sure he already knows about the "birds and bees" and probably has for a few years now, when I was 12, and my mom "tried" to have that talk, I had to hold the lafter in. Why shuddint he talk on the phone at 12? Idk about where u live but here, all that phone convo starts about he 4th grade. Im sure most of the other boys are on msn everyday during the summer chatting with their gf and friend and ont he cell phone.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Yup, it's usually around his age that they begin to discover that the opposite sex exits...Personally, I don't think it is an unusual scenario that girls would be taking the initiative to contact him; that too is pretty common.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, nor would I make a huge deal over it...Assuming your son is mature, well grounded, and not upset by it, I'd tend to take a bit of a laid back attitude. I don't think it is at all uncommon, and it is just the beginning of his teenage years...They all go through it. As well, I would not be too quick to think that the girls were always phoning for "sexual" or "I-wanna-date-you" reasons. At that age, they are JUST BEGINNING to attempt to "try on" that teenage identity, and it is usually easier to approach someone impersonally (via a phone) than in person...They are less embarrassed that way...

And NO, you are NOT niave! I think it's really hard at times to know what the "norm" is for kids these days, especially when it's our first one going through it...

Take gentle care,
June

Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
In case you didn't notice, those three boys of yours started having night time erections when they were toddlers and enjoyed rubbing it. It's hard to say at what age those feelings start being directed toward the female.

Yes, you are being very naive.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks!
He is such a good kid and very well rounded. You always want to do the best for your kids but not become so overwhelmed with every little thing they do. I want my kids to be able to trust me and to be able to talk to me about anything. But I know they are boys and mom just is not the most comfortable to talk to. My husband is an excellent father and is very close to his boys but he did not have a sexual relationship until he was out of high school, he was more into his education. So he feels we just need to sit back and not take action until we see a problem. This is what bothers me!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I have a 12 year old son who is very intelligent yet gets along with everyone. I am noticing a couple of girls stopping at the house and calling him on his cell phone. Yet I know, you say cell phone-at 12? Yes, he has a cell phone because he walks to his junior high for music everyday and it is a mile away from whom and he crosses busy streets. My concern is this; am I crazy to think my child is just not interested in girls? I have had talks with him about the birds and the bees but nothing really in depth to this point. He is not a phone talker so when they call him it is usually short. My friends and co-workers said I should not even let me talk on the phone at his age. Am I being to nieve to think he is to young to be that interested in girls yet. He is my oldest and I am not sure how to handle this or if I should do anything at all. I am the only female in my house with a husband and 3 sons. I don't know what age boys start getting interested in girls. I here girls find interest in boys much sooner.

Please give me advice!
I don't know how much advise I have for u, but as a parent of 2 boys old enough to be interested in girls at least I can let u know I feel what u r going through. I think boys like girls at different ages. My yourgest son started at two. I was at a dept. store and a young lady in a short skirt was helping me. She reached down to get a bag and as she did my son copped a feel and he has never stopped showing interest. I think it is a good idea to keep teenage or preteen boys occupied with activities. Good luck

Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
It is completely normal at this age. Why do you think middle school teachers are sainted after they die . For MOST kids at this age having a 'boyfriend' or 'girlfriend' means they say hi in the hallway and MAYBE sit by each other at lunch. Obviously some are more involved but for the most part I wouldn't worry about it. There were plenty of 12 year old boys sniffing around my DD this year, she wasn't interested and that has pretty much been it.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
it's time to start thinking about a few things. You don't need to start having boy/girl parties for birthdays, etc. Also, it's time to say, no girl goes into your bedroom. Not for homework or anything. No girl in the house when you're not there. Also no phone calls after a certain time, maybe 9:00. Start now, and if the oldest asks why, just explain that there will come a time when he and his brothers will meet a girl that's not trustworthy and it's easier to lay down the rules now than later.

Other than that, I tend to agree with your husband. Just wait and see. None of mine dated until they went to college. They stayed busy with their friends who also didn't date. The ones that are shy and the brainy ones don't seem to date as early as some of the others.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 PM

I would agree with the statement that the brainy ones are not as interested from what I see. My 8 year old (going to cause me trouble, he is very good looking and knows it), he will go with us to the Junior High for our oldest's concerts and the eight graders know my 8 year old. He must have left quite the impression on them when they were in the grade school.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Activities are great but the philosophy of, "keeping them too busy to think about sex," is positively Victorian and unrealistic. Sports are a good way to work off extra energy and build confidence, but they can also tell some kids that they can't achieve as much as other athletically inclined kids and it can hurt their self-esteem. Some people are just never good at sports either because they're uncoordinated or just don't have the body type for the popular school sports. Too, the other people playing those sports makes a difference. Many parents push and push and push their kids to be uber-competitive in sports, encouraging their kids to either beat everyone else or fail. Those kids are usually the biggest jerks in school making sports unpleasant for the other kids, particularly the less athletically inclined.

As I see it, when it comes to sports, I as a parent can't live through my sons. I can help them prepare to succeed, but can't succeed for them. I tell them to do what they enjoy doing and competing in but commit to what you do. Better yourself and don't worry about Biff and Chad and Troy. Follow those you respect or lead yourself and you won't be disappointed.

I think you should gently suggest to your husband that now is a good time to get into details about puberty, sexuality, and girls. I started puberty at 11 even though the changes weren't visible (unless I was nekkid ) until I was 15 or so. Not to be rude, but my first ejaculation was two months after my 12th birthday and my father didn't try to give me, "The Talk," until I was 15!! Ugh. In fairness though, I was very ashamed about being an early bloomer so I didn't wear shorts or show my armpits until that age. I even worked to keep my voice from breaking so I wouldn't stand out. My father was largely absent through most of my early life and he had lousy self-esteem which transferred to me. Took me a long time to get over that and I actively work to not pass on those insecurities.

Most boys go through a stage where they focus their sexual attentions on bonding with other guys. Girls are unknown, usually more mature, and pretty scary at 12 so guys talk to each other about what's going on with girls and what's happening to their bodies and brains. Once they're assured that they're like all the other guys and they begin to gain some confidence, then they start focusing on the girls directly. Usually relations with girls are more superficial up to that point. Unfortunately for boys, their bodies outgrow their brains and they go through a whole klutzy phase during the first growth spurt when their brains physically have less control over movement.

Male hormone surges are intense, usually very sudden, and result in erections at the most inopportune times. It's a very confusing point in life and so many things run through your head.

'I got hard when I was swimming! I just know everyone saw it! I want to die.'
'I started thinking about sex when I saw another guy!! Am I gay??'
'Tom has hair in his armpits but I don't. Why aren't I like him? Will I catch up?'
'I have hair in my armpits but nobody else does. I'm going to stick-out!'
'I don't have hair in my armpits but everybody else does. I'm never going to develop!'

Don't EVEN get started on the whole other size issue. Something like 60% of men think they are too small and guys hate to discuss the issue even with each other. At an age where you're desperate to fit in and just be normal; to feel as though you don't measure-up is awful because there's not much you can do about it and some guys just always lag behind other guys. Like girls, guys are constantly comparing their physical development to their peers and moreso now than ever. To add insult to injury, there are growers and show-ers. Though the great majority of guys will wind up with about the same size penis, some guys just plain hang longer than others even though they won't gain nearly as much during the erection process as the guys who are, as we called them, "turtles." Interestingly, nobody was teased for being uncircumsized. It was a non-sequiter but that may be because we had a lot of foreign-born students so it wasn't just one or two guys.

Unlike when I was growing-up, girls are a lot more sexually forward toward boys and, at the same time, boys are becoming more self-concious about their appearance and development. An interesting corollary to this is that now boys suffer from bullemia and anorexia at about the same rate as girls. The pressure to look good, to have a built, well-toned body, and to dress for sexual appeal is much greater than it used to be and these factors are having a big impact on how boys are now experiencing adolescence. Note how many boys either shower in their underwear or won't use gang showers at all, ever, even though they were the norm for ages. Schools are even remodeling their gyms to provide privacy when changing and showering. Not to sound ancient, but... back when I was that age... the first few times being naked with a whole lot of other, most much older and developed, were stressful, but after that it was no big deal.
'
It's very important for you and your husband to set a good example and be open about what's going in your son's life. I was a good kid, respectful, didn't do drugs, got good grades, hung-out with a good crowd, but I also first had sex with a girl at 12 and with another guy at 13 and by the time I was 18 had smoked a lot of pot, taken mushrooms and cocaine, and enjoyed drinking at parties. All the while I was a good kid. It didn't interfere with my school work, I was responsible about driving, had good summer and vacation jobs, didn't dress like a stoner, and knew how to moderate myself. My parents had no idea I was doing any of this stuff however, even though I realize now that I made some poor choices, the example my parents set did make a big difference in the path I took. I could have become a loser stoner but I wasn't and neither were my friends. We had good parents and that made a big difference in how we turned out versus some of the other kids.

I think there's resistance on the part of we parents to see our kids as independent beings. It's scary to think my kids are getting sexual urges, healthy and normal as they are. It's imperative to have an open line of communication throughout childhood because when they turn inward during adolescence, the biggest indicator of BS is when parents say one thing but do another. They're going through a whole process of not only building an entirely new body, but a whole independent and adult-thinking brain and, if you remember, the process isn't smooth at all. It's awful! New behaviors, expectations, feelings, relationships, all topped off with acne, hormones, bodies that don't always do what they're told, an opposite sex that's developing at an entirely different pace, and a desperate need to walk the fine line between expressing that new you and fitting in with your peers. No wonder teens sleep so much!

This is the point in your son's life when everything you've done the previous 12 years comes to the fore because, for a while, you'll be the people he relates to the least. If you're lucky and you've kept-up communication, expressed your love and support for him, he'll be less distant than usual, but make no mistake, peers and independent self-discovery will be the primary focus of his life for the next 8-10 years or so.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 07-06-2007 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting