Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,991,909 times

Advertisements

What kind of school is your son in? Can you switch him to another school? It would appear that this school is not going to get better. They seem to be dealing with many problem students and very little in the way of proper supervision. I know that homeschooling is more difficult in Canada, but it can be done. I think that if there is no good school to place him in, perhaps you can homeschool this year and research your other options. Are there any private schools that might work for him?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,958,669 times
Why have you not called either

1) the police? or
2) an attorney?

While venting steam on a forum board is understandable, not taking REAL ACTION against adults that have not only allowed your son to be attacked again and again, but also put his life in serious jeopardy seems to indicate a lack of real concern on your part. If your son is in danger, as you have posted he is, why do you continue to send him back to that environment? After the items you have posted today, there can be NO QUESTION in your mind that they have no desire or intent to provide him with a safe, non-lethal environment.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,383 times
He needs to know that he can't have anything with peanuts- I have a good friend who has an 8 year old with celiac and he is great -he knows what he can and can not eat- it is up to the child and his parents not the rest of the world( teachers etc) this is a good lesson for all of you!!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,758,545 times
Lisalan,

I am with DewDrop and Momma Bear on this. If I were you, I would write a letter to the District Superintendent of Schools regarding the incompetence of this principal and teacher on all issues especially of the peanut allergy cc'ing the principal and teacher. Or face it head on by demanding to see them face to face. I really wish you the best and hope this school gets its act together.
Mrs. X

Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,879,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Please tell me that the bolded word was a typo I am not always up her rear end. I just found this to be serious enough to go to the principal about.

yes it was a typo...i thought i fixed it actually =\. And i was not saying you lisa. You would be amazed how nutty some of these parents are becoming. A lot of schools are requiring teachers hand out their cell numbers, and be avalible through im after school, and set up websites to track progress. My moms friend who teaches in 3rd grade said a lot of sahm moms even want to start sitting at the back of classes, and want to come in for performance reviews weekly over their kids. And want you to be avalible to tutor if you can, and call you at all hours. This isn't 20 some years ago lisa when we went...they have 3 times the work and probaly the same pay in comparision. From now on after you tell the teacher....wait a few days and let the office know. Better yet ask for a list of the class mothers....and inform them yourself. And tell them even stuff like peanut butter cups cannot not be near my child. Most people think of nuts....but don't think of stuff made with them.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,962,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
yes it was a typo...i thought i fixed it actually =\. And i was not saying you lisa. You would be amazed how nutty some of these parents are becoming. A lot of schools are requiring teachers hand out their cell numbers, and be avalible through im after school, and set up websites to track progress. My moms friend who teaches in 3rd grade said a lot of sahm moms even want to start sitting at the back of classes, and want to come in for performance reviews weekly over their kids. And want you to be avalible to tutor if you can, and call you at all hours. This isn't 20 some years ago lisa when we went...they have 3 times the work and probaly the same pay in comparision. From now on after you tell the teacher....wait a few days and let the office know. Better yet ask for a list of the class mothers....and inform them yourself. And tell them even stuff like peanut butter cups cannot not be near my child. Most people think of nuts....but don't think of stuff made with them.
I am a certified teacher. I have taught and I have had kids in my classes with unusual health problems. It is true that teachers have a lot on their plate these days, which is part of why I am no longer teaching (still love students though).

However, your MOST IMPORTANT responsibility as a teacher is to keep your students safe. When you have a student with a potentially life threatening medical condition it is UNACCEPTABLE to forget about that condition and to allow something in your classroom that could seriously harm (or kill) that child. She simply cannot under any circumstances be allowed to wiggle out of this.

Now the parent who sent the candy probably meant no harm and probably did just forget but the teacher cannot forget, overlook, or not think of stuff in this situation. I do think it is time for Lisa to start to teach her son to protect himself, but the adults still need to backstop that effort. You cannot depend on a 7 year old to get it right every time. He can be taught, but he still needs the adults making sure no harm comes to him.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am a certified teacher. I have taught and I have had kids in my classes with unusual health problems. It is true that teachers have a lot on their plate these days, which is part of why I am no longer teaching (still love students though).

However, your MOST IMPORTANT responsibility as a teacher is to keep your students safe. When you have a student with a potentially life threatening medical condition it is UNACCEPTABLE to forget about that condition and to allow something in your classroom that could seriously harm (or kill) that child. She simply cannot under any circumstances be allowed to wiggle out of this.

Now the parent who sent the candy probably meant no harm and probably did just forget but the teacher cannot forget, overlook, or not think of stuff in this situation. I do think it is time for Lisa to start to teach her son to protect himself, but the adults still need to backstop that effort. You cannot depend on a 7 year old to get it right every time. He can be taught, but he still needs the adults making sure no harm comes to him.
I agree, but i can see how this would slip. Many people would forget that certain candies have peanut products in them. In fact i would have looked over it. and i think a lot of people would as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,962,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I agree, but i can see how this would slip. Many people would forget that certain candies have peanut products in them. In fact i would have looked over it. and i think a lot of people would as well.
It's just not something you can forget as a teacher. You can forget to look up something for a student. You can forget to call a parent. You cannot forget about anything that might end with the death of one of your students.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
It's just not something you can forget as a teacher. You can forget to look up something for a student. You can forget to call a parent. You cannot forget about anything that might end with the death of one of your students.

Which is why teachers rely on parents to help out. Perhaps she asked a class mother to check and she said a ok. When i went to school never did a teacher dole out the candy at our halloween parties....and plenty of kids had allergies back then as well. the class Mothers did all that type of stuff and were the ones making sure the children didn't eat what they weren't supposed to. Maybe it's just a case of an old teacher as well, but we don't know on that end really.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,241,595 times
Quote:
I agree that this could have been a very serious mistake. Thank goodness lisalan's son knew better than to eat the candy. Parent's need a news letter sent out before bringing in treats to remind them no peanuts. The Superintendant of the Distric School Board needs to be informed about this. It is unacceptable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting