Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
What about the kids who will ONLY eat pb? Trust me- there are some kids who go through such phases.
That was my son....

Even now, at 17, that's what he makes himself for lunch everyday, and most nights, after he eats a full dinner, he'll have a pbj in his hand later.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 PM

613 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:

IMHO, if a school is going to ban ingredients, whether due to 1 or 100 children, then they need to provide the meals 100%. It is insane the list they give to parents of what isn't allowed to be brought in for lunches anymore.
I believe that when a school completely bans peanut products from the entire school or in some cases the entire district, they are doing it in what they feel is their OWN best interests, not the children's.

They probably feel it is much easier to keep those products out than to put proper hand washing in place, cleaning of tables/desks, training the classroom teacher as well as Library teacher, gym teacher, etc., on how to recognize the signs of anaphylaxis, how to use an epi-pen, etc.

And, the biggie, they want to avoid any litigation.

My district takes an opposite approach in that they refuse to make a school peanut free because they feel that opens them up to litigation if a peanut product should make its way into the school.

I am fortunate that the parents at my child's school are AWESOME! A TON of food and candy was sent into my son's class for Halloween, and everything was peanut/nut free. That was no accident. I truly am blessed to live in a community where parents care about ALL the kids, not about how disappointed they are that they couldn't bake that really cool cupcake with the peanut butter chips!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
See- and that is what is great! There are NO rules in place, but you still get the same desired effect because the school, and seems the parents on EITHER side, isn't making it an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I believe that when a school completely bans peanut products from the entire school or in some cases the entire district, they are doing it in what they feel is their OWN best interests, not the children's.

They probably feel it is much easier to keep those products out than to put proper hand washing in place, cleaning of tables/desks, training the classroom teacher as well as Library teacher, gym teacher, etc., on how to recognize the signs of anaphylaxis, how to use an epi-pen, etc.

And, the biggie, they want to avoid any litigation.

My district takes an opposite approach in that they refuse to make a school peanut free because they feel that opens them up to litigation if a peanut product should make its way into the school.

I am fortunate that the parents at my child's school are AWESOME! A TON of food and candy was sent into my son's class for Halloween, and everything was peanut/nut free. That was no accident. I truly am blessed to live in a community where parents care about ALL the kids, not about how disappointed they are that they couldn't bake that really cool cupcake with the peanut butter chips!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
Quote:
But you want to parent others' children??

Nope, read my post.

So, it is easier to cave into the sue happy people who can't be responsible for their own actions/children's actions? Teachers should be able to spend time focusing on teaching, and not who is eating what, who is beating up whom or what little tyrant...err, kid is destroying what school property. Teachers are supposed to be teachers- Not parents, not nurses, not police officers.

Fair enough, but not reality in todays society.

You aren't considerate of others though because it is all about YOUR child. What about the kids who will ONLY eat pb? Trust me- there are some kids who go through such phases. It is inconveniencing you to monitor YOUR child so you try to make it easier by monitoring, or ensuring everyone else is, monitored as well.

Hardly, as I have stated, I don't advocate removing peanut products from school. Even though, on more than one occasion, kids teased my daughter by shoving a pb&j near her face. Gee, I wonder how kids got so nasty.
BTW, last time I checked, your little darling would not have an anaphalactic reaction if he goes without peanut butter at school. Guess what, kids eat what parents give them. I guess the pb&j is another way to make you life more convenient. Good for you.
And that is where is should lie- with the PARENTS and the CHILD. If others want to help and do things to help ease the situation along the way, that is AWESOME, but to be forced into or battered into doing so is NOT the way it SHOULD be

You are right, its not the way it should be. People should be more considerate in general, especially when it relates to kids. But, as a realist I know that we have people like you running around.

Maybe make a Nut free town since there seems to be so many deathly allergic children walking around [/quote]

If karma exists, I feel bad for what you have coming.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Our school cafeteria has a fish option every Friday; fish fingers, popcorn shrimp, tuna salad, etc.
Ahhh, you're bringing back memories! I attended a Catholic elementary school and taught at a Catholic elementary school for several years, and yes, Fridays were fish day!

It's interesting to note that while I know quite a few children who are allergic to peanuts or nuts or dairy and sometimes wheat (or even all of the above), I don't know a single child with a seafood allergy.

I do know a few adults with a seafood allergy though, and they all developed their allergy later in life. I wonder if seafood allergy is more common in adults than children?

I guess I could research that on the internet, but feeling too lazy right now.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
See- and that is what is great! There are NO rules in place, but you still get the same desired effect because the school, and seems the parents on EITHER side, isn't making it an issue.
No, there are rules in place. No nut products in the classroom, and a peanut free table for the kids with allergies in the cafeteria. All my son's teachers are trained to recognize anaphylaxis and are trained on using the epi-pen. His epi-pen follows him from class to class.

I imagine it is easier for the parents to accept because the kids CAN bring in a PB&J sandwich for lunch, just not snack. I imagine it might be an issue for some if the kids had to eat in the classroom.

This arrangement seems to work well, though it wasn't always like this. Back when my son was in K, there was nothing in place and I had to go up for every party and basically tell him, no you can't have that cupcake, and no you can't have that candy. He would still end up coming home with Snickers bars in his bookbag. A couple of years later and a few more kids with allergies, and all that has changed.

Now, my bigger issue is the amount of food (all of it junk), that they allow in for those classroom parties, but I bite my tongue and say nothing!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Since when do kids get a snack at school. I never had that growing up. Only in preschool.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Since when do kids get a snack at school. I never had that growing up. Only in preschool.
We didn't get a snack when I was growing up, but we would get a mini indoor recess where we could have a drink, usually a small container of milk.

Our district has snack up to 5th grade! And several classroom parties where the amount of food brought in could feed a family of 4 for a year!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My kids have it up until 6th grade. Although, as they get older it's more along the lines of 'bring a granola bar or whatever and eating it quietly during silent reading time', not the elaborate handing out of treats.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I wonder if seafood allergy is more common in adults than children?
My dh is allergic to shellfish & found out when he tried some sort of shellfish when he was in grade school.

Shellfish, in general, are usually not recommended for young children.

And peanut products are far more common.

I love love love lobster but rarely have it. Shellfish is just not the most common food to have and serve in mainstream America and is not heavily used in processing plants. Peanut oil is a common staple of many foods.

Thus, there are probably many children w/ shellfish allergies but they are not introduced to it b/c it is not the most convienent nor common food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting