Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,369,271 times

Advertisements

We're fortunate that all of the bedrooms in our house are good-sized. Our seven-year-old has the largest, and that's where the kids always play. Also, our room (the second largest bedroom) was the only bedroom with a walk-in closet, so it was the choice that made sense considering we needed to store the clothing of two adults.

However, in your case, OP, the bathroom might have been a deal breaker for me. lol.

Seriously, though, you're the adult. If you think it's time to change rooms, your daughter will adjust. When I was growing up, I never even had my own room. I shared a 12 X 12 bedroom with two sisters. Very few of my friends had their own rooms. She'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,997,204 times
Like everyone else said if you are doing it to try to gain power, that will backfire on you and she'll get even worse.
If you are wanting the larger room then tell her you think its time for a change and you wanted to know her opinion on it but in the end you would make a final decision but at the same time you thought it would be cool to
make over the rooms so it would be a fun thing and not negative.

And no I don't think it is wrong for a child to have a bigger bedroom, I actually think it makes sense because that way they can play in their with their friends and not be in the rest of the house making it messy. I think its a damn good idea.

Nor do I think it is wrong to take the room back, AS LONG AS its because you want a change not to try to teach her a lesson, her attitude....don't take it personal, she's just 12, that's how they are. It's normal, she'll grow out of it, as long as you really don't screw up in the next few years.

As for kids not being in bedrooms, I am all for that.
I share the basement with the kids. Every room is separate though so it practically like an apartment. Entrance way, "living room" very large at that bigger than some apartments, a main bathroom not off my bedroom and my bedroom is off from everything else in a corner on the other side of the stairs with a walk in closet. The kids aren't allowed in unless I am in my room. A) I don't want to kid proof my room, I have to live in my room everyday its going to be the way I like it. B) I don't like my things being touched and going missing. C) I don't feel like having to clean my room extra. My door stays shut and locked when I am not home and there is a keyhole on the outside of the door. Like other people said, these kids have whole houses to play in one room won't kill them. The kids have the rest of the basement and I live with it being messy etc, they can live without being able to come in here whenever.

My personal opinion, I wouldn't take the bedroom back, unless you move elsewhere and then you just take the master bedroom or get an apartment where both bedrooms have a bathroom and walk-in closet off them.
She is getting into her teen years and every teen girl dreams of a room like that and trust me, she'll LOVE the space and enjoy every minute.

I would have done anything for that when I was a teenager.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 AM

56 posts, read 145,787 times
Default your response to leaving massachusetts hating boys

too funny!!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 AM

Default @ Aidxen . I am NOT a petty, power seeking, in need of life coach Mom!

hi! not trying to use my child to gain power. not at all. there is so much i didn't write. don't need a life coach . and i am not petty .

you did come across as rude. because you don't know me. or my child. so then you also come across as ignorant. but then i quess i come across as petty to you, huh? and some low self esteemed mommie. right? Lol.

just a single mom who wanted some input.
and asked two separate questions...
in one post .

Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 AM

Default A MAN!!! I don't have a man!! "Jasper12" wrote that is why I want my daughter to move to another bedroom! too funny!!!!

A man! "Jasper12"wrote i probably have a man so that is why i want my daughter to move into the smaller bedroom. that is so funny and if there were. i LOVE my kid waaaay to much to listen to some garbage like displacing my kid..... my partner would be the one to be out!!! no wedging here!!!!! that person would not be for me!!!!

nope! lol. no man behind my decision.. but i will admit someone is behind my thoughts. a little...
~ MY FAMILY.... mainly my sister!!! "you should do this.. you should NOT do that"....

but there is no man.. my child comes FIRST!!!
and any man (or woman -wink wink!!) who implied i should remove my kid from her comfort zone is not for me...... that person would be gone.... i am soooooo single.. not dating at all... it's just me and my sweet kid...
however my daughter WILL keep the room i have decided ....

it was just a thought.. and after much thought... i believe she deserves to keep it.. she just came home with honors... she is a great kid... i just am guilty of listening waaay too much to my family who mean well, but are old fashioned....

and i was thinking maybe it may be time for change.. but i am fine with our lives the way they are.... we are a happy family!!!

so why rock the boat?? things are great..

i had thoughts.... fleeting.. but they are gone now....

thanks for all your thoughts...

Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,852,232 times
Now that you decided what you were going to do, maybe take the opportunity to splurge on some nice furnishings for yourself and fix your room up the way you want it.

FWIW, if I were in your same situation, I would probably let her keep the room as well. I think your original decision made a lot of sense and now it is "her room". If you move though, I would snag the master for yourself, lol.

In my house my wife and I have the master and while the kids do come into our room from time to time it is generally off limits. They have their own bedrooms, their own bathroom, a playroom and the rest of the downstairs. If anything, our bedroom is the only place that is really ours.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Default thanks NJGOAT!!!

great idea!!!! i have some spare time today... why NOT go splurge on me??OMG! i have forgotten what it's like.... hope i don't go into cariac arrest lol... ;o)

Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,392,385 times
Have you given your child time to prepare for the change?

When I had a third child earlier this year I had to move my two oldest into one bedroom. The baby sleeps by herself in the nursary so she doesn't disturb them and they don't disturb her.

I've already told them that once the baby is a preschooler, I will move her into the shared bedroom and give my oldest her own room. So, everyone knows what to expect years ahead of time.

I think your totally within your rights to ask for what appears to be a master bedroom. After all you are master of your household. However, I would give your daughter some time to get used to the idea.

I would also let her choose some paint colors for her "new" room as well as a new comforter and some other decor. This should get her excited about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting