Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Actually all these things should be done around 10 or 11 to keep kids from starting in the first place.
We started when they were about four. With the punishment explained to them in great deal. (I've mentioned this before.) And the voice used left them no doubt as to our seriousness. None.

"Mommy, what's that man doing?"

"SMOKING!! WHICH WE DO NOT DO IN OUR FAMILY. EVER. YOUR FATHER AND I FIND OUT THAT YOU'VE SMOKED AND YOU ARE EATING THE WHOLE PACK!!"

None of them smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
I may have smoked one pack of cigarettes in my entire life, largely or wholly as a teenager. I recall one try each of chewing tobacco and snuff. I tried a cigar a couple of times. No one told me not to do it because everyone smoked at the time including my parents. Tobacco wasn't forbidden fruit, so there was no excitement. It was the same with alcohol; it was never forbidden fruit. I probably have the equivalent of a bottle of spirits per year or less. Young people seek what is denied them because they are young.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I may have smoked one pack of cigarettes in my entire life, largely or wholly as a teenager. I recall one try each of chewing tobacco and snuff. I tried a cigar a couple of times. No one told me not to do it because everyone smoked at the time including my parents. Tobacco wasn't forbidden fruit, so there was no excitement. It was the same with alcohol; it was never forbidden fruit. I probably have the equivalent of a bottle of spirits per year or less. Young people seek what is denied them because they are young.

I can understand that.
Both my parents smoked. So as a teen I tried it with friends, and like I stated in another post, I had a few Marlboros here and there. But I just didn't really find anything important about smoking. It to me just got in the way of things...It was just a bother to me.

I used to hate when the parent would say, Ok after this cigaret I will...(whatever) ugh, that line got so tired. I swore I would never become that kind of parent.....
So smoking and drinking were not a big No- no in my family....and me and my sister don't do either......

I don't believe in the beating a child for it, or making them smoke a whole pack. that is disgusting ugh........

I believe just real education of dangers of smoking and why you would not like your child to start this gross habit should be enough.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
Yes i'm a single Parent themy son's mother died when he was 5.

He's a well behaved boy hardly miss behaved. I give him $80 a week.

We were at the shopping center in Brisbane Australia we went our differernt ways and I saw him going to the cineams with his friends and i saw him with a smoke.

But i have NO idea what to do. can you help me

$80.00 a week. WOW! At the age of 14 he gets $80.00 a week? What is the cost of living in Australia? With that much money he could probably afford a bag of weed and a carton of cigarettes.
Do you know how he spends his money? Get reciepts?
There may not be much you can do about his smoking, but I would let him know you saw him. Tell him you care about him and that you disapprove of his behavior. Tell him you love him and ask him if he would like to quit. I don't know if it will work, but being a clueless parent only makes you look stupid and may lose you some respect points.
My son started smoking about this age and all the lectures didn't help. I stopped giving him money, but he still seemed able to get cigarettes.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
$80.00 a week. WOW! At the age of 14 he gets $80.00 a week? What is the cost of living in Australia? With that much money he could probably afford a bag of weed and a carton of cigarettes.
Do you know how he spends his money? Get reciepts?
There may not be much you can do about his smoking, but I would let him know you saw him. Tell him you care about him and that you disapprove of his behavior. Tell him you love him and ask him if he would like to quit. I don't know if it will work, but being a clueless parent only makes you look stupid and may lose you some respect points.
My son started smoking about this age and all the lectures didn't help. I stopped giving him money, but he still seemed able to get cigarettes.

I think in australia the country gives kids a state sponsored allowance but i could be wrong.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times
Take your DC to a hospital or a hospice to visit someone dying of lung cancer, emphysema, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM

89 posts, read 207,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I think in australia the country gives kids a state sponsored allowance but i could be wrong.
Thats Youth Alowance and you get that when you are 16. I think the kids get $180 for every two weeks.

The Living cost is the same as in america.

I'm going to talk to him about it I will go to a Dr Office, Take him to go and see someone in the hosip dieing of cancer.

I'm going to serouse talk with him

Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Well, there is something to be said about not letting them know you know.

If they think you don't know, they keep hiding it.

Once they know you know, they aren't as sneaky and become more open with it.

They FEAR you discovering it prior to your knowing. After you know, they don't FEAR you knowing anymore.

I've seen many teenagers become more comfortable smoking after their parents discovered they smoked---even when the parents strongly disapproved.

I think they FEAR they will be killed prior to being caught. Once they survive their parents' discovering they smoke, they figure the worst is over.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
Thats Youth Alowance and you get that when you are 16. I think the kids get $180 for every two weeks.
It's $206 every 2 weeks if living with parents. It gets higher if living alone or having a dependent.

I just looked it up. This is mindblowing!

Youth Allowance

Youth Allowance - payment rates

Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's $206 every 2 weeks if living with parents. It gets higher if living alone or having a dependent.

I just looked it up. This is mindblowing!

Youth Allowance

Youth Allowance - payment rates

I've building a time machine *out of a delorean oddly enough* so i can go back in time and make my parents move there. That would have been really sweet .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting