Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,329 times

Advertisements

A friend of a the family is looking to hire a nanny and someone referred me to a web site that sources nannies internationally and arranges to have them stay with you for 6-24 months. I was reading a few profiles and some of these women really sound like they have some creative ideas to care for / play with children. It also helps when they show photos of themselves with kids...much more convincing than simply saying "I love kids!".

Now what do you think of this profile?

As an artist, I see my skin as the boundaries of my home my spirit lives in and so I adorned it with piercings and tattoos. But my tattoos are all hidden under my clothing and I'd be willing to negotiate the extent of my piercings with the chosen family.
The reason why I prefer to find a nanny job in the greater Miami area is that I love a warm climate, the beach, the ocean, the wetlands, I just love sunny Florida! Travelling makes me happy and since I prefer living healthy, your city's restaurants and grocers would fit my lifestyle. Plus I hope that all the creative energy that surrounds your city will influence me to be a better person, meet new people.

What I expect from the family: I expect you to provide an accurate job description with a clear outline of the tasks, salary and benefits, plus of course the living situation. The more I know now, the more harmonious our relationship will be. I want to get along with you Mom and Dad and agree on the correct parenting style, so your kids are happy too. Sorry for being picky about this, but I will only consider the greater Miami area.
I like expectations to be clear so I know what I'm getting into and where we can see eye to eye. I'm willing to be flexible to the family's expectation but like to include my own child care methods (though she doesn't say she has any experience in childcare). Also I need you to be clear about when I'm expected to start working and when I'm expected to be off. A little privacy with a separate entrance for me would be ideal.
A few weeks ago a friend advised me to find a job in which I can live passionately each day and escape the corporate office I'm in now. I currently manage 20 office workers but I want a change, so the nanny position came to mind!

Hmmm, what do you think about this profile? It sounds to me like she wants control and that she's more interested in being in Miami because she has so many interests, not being she actually loves children. Nowhere does it talk about the games she'll play with them, what makes her a better nanny than others, why she'll make the parents' life easier. For example another profile said the nanny had daycare experience, would play interactive games, when the parents got home, she would cook delicious meals for them after a long day's work....she loved animals and walks to the playground with her nephew, etc.

But in the profile above, I see a woman who is frustrated with her current corporate job, wants to impose her values on a family but doesn't seem too flexible. And besides who really wants to hire a nanny whose profile photos shows her piercings and with a long haired groupie wearing leather jackets? She's actually a punk rocker in her free time and has a quick temper. I certainly wouldn't want my kids near her, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
I don't mind her expectations for the family. When it comes to nannies, it's important to have clear boundaries and expectations.

I'm more bothered by her not offering any information about her skills and strengths as a nanny.

There is nothing in the profile whatsoever about what she brings to the table, what she can do for a family, or how a family can benefit from having her in their household.

Most importantly, she has NO experience whatsoever as a nanny.

It does sound like she wants a lifestyle change and simply decided that Miami would be a great place to live. She's not interested in caring for children.

She just wants a job in Miami that provides a place to live. She'd do better to apply for a live-in housekeeper job than a nanny position.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
I hope she doesn't get the job. We have enough self absorbed people down here already.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
I'm thinking what she REALLY wants is to just hang out in South Beach. But she's smart enough to figure out she won't get paid for that.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM

196 posts, read 208,579 times
She's articulate and seems honest and upfront. I like her. I bet she's a good, no b.s. type of person.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM

64 posts, read 125,551 times
She seems like a party girl that wants a free place to stay and get paid or it IMO.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin69 View Post
She seems like a party girl that wants a free place to stay and get paid or it IMO.
That's my thoughts as well. "A little privacy with a separate entrance for me would be ideal." She seems much more concerned about her off hours than her time w/ the children.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
That is not the nanny I would pick. She also does not know much about Miami, she just wants to live in SoBe. And SoBe is the LAST place I would look to hire a nanny!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
I agree that her profile doesn't do much to show her strengths. For that reason, I would probably move on to the next profile. Also, if I were to interview her I would want to know if she has actually been to Miami because it seems like she may have unrealistic expectations. (for example, how does she know that the grocers are like?)
However I do like that she wants clear boundaries. I got the impression that she wants to be properly treated as an employee instead of as merely some person to be at parents' beck and call 24/7. Some nannies come overseas and wind up getting treated like dirt. Also, I like that she addresses the tattoos and piercing right away. I certainly wouldn't make assumptions about her social life or temper based on that, nor would I exclude her just for that.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
A friend of a the family is looking to hire a nanny and someone referred me to a web site that sources nannies internationally and arranges to have them stay with you for 6-24 months. I was reading a few profiles and some of these women really sound like they have some creative ideas to care for / play with children. It also helps when they show photos of themselves with kids...much more convincing than simply saying "I love kids!".

Now what do you think of this profile?

As an artist, I see my skin as the boundaries of my home my spirit lives in and so I adorned it with piercings and tattoos. But my tattoos are all hidden under my clothing and I'd be willing to negotiate the extent of my piercings with the chosen family.
The reason why I prefer to find a nanny job in the greater Miami area is that I love a warm climate, the beach, the ocean, the wetlands, I just love sunny Florida! Travelling makes me happy and since I prefer living healthy, your city's restaurants and grocers would fit my lifestyle. Plus I hope that all the creative energy that surrounds your city will influence me to be a better person, meet new people.

What I expect from the family: I expect you to provide an accurate job description with a clear outline of the tasks, salary and benefits, plus of course the living situation. The more I know now, the more harmonious our relationship will be. I want to get along with you Mom and Dad and agree on the correct parenting style, so your kids are happy too. Sorry for being picky about this, but I will only consider the greater Miami area.
I like expectations to be clear so I know what I'm getting into and where we can see eye to eye. I'm willing to be flexible to the family's expectation but like to include my own child care methods (though she doesn't say she has any experience in childcare). Also I need you to be clear about when I'm expected to start working and when I'm expected to be off. A little privacy with a separate entrance for me would be ideal.
A few weeks ago a friend advised me to find a job in which I can live passionately each day and escape the corporate office I'm in now. I currently manage 20 office workers but I want a change, so the nanny position came to mind!

Hmmm, what do you think about this profile? It sounds to me like she wants control and that she's more interested in being in Miami because she has so many interests, not being she actually loves children. Nowhere does it talk about the games she'll play with them, what makes her a better nanny than others, why she'll make the parents' life easier. For example another profile said the nanny had daycare experience, would play interactive games, when the parents got home, she would cook delicious meals for them after a long day's work....she loved animals and walks to the playground with her nephew, etc.

But in the profile above, I see a woman who is frustrated with her current corporate job, wants to impose her values on a family but doesn't seem too flexible. And besides who really wants to hire a nanny whose profile photos shows her piercings and with a long haired groupie wearing leather jackets? She's actually a punk rocker in her free time and has a quick temper. I certainly wouldn't want my kids near her, would you?

I wouldn't hire her. She sounds rather arrogant and difficult. She doesn't even mention that she has any real child care experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting