Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times

Advertisements

There quite a few scenarios this can fall under. Having daughters, sons, divorced parents, step parents, both parents etc. So please specify which you fall under?

Does your kid/kids treat the Mom and Dad differently? More casual/fun with one parent over the other? Treat one more formally over the other? As a child yourself, did you feel more comfortable with one parent over the other?

My kids think I am the fun/easy one. I am sarcastic and they will be sarcastic with me. My husband is more strict and thinks sarcasm is a sign of disrespect at times. He is a tiny bit more formal. He doesn't want the kids to call him Sir but he does want them to treat him with respect. He still plays with them, chase them around the house acting like a monster etc. They will tell him everything about school, friends etc. But they are a tad more formal with him in comparison to me.

And he is definitely the one they don't want to get in trouble with. Even though I am the that issues the punishment/grounding. And I never ever back out and I am consistent.

I have heard from others that it's usually the other way around. They are more formal with their mothers and their dads are the ones they can joke around with etc. I grew up with divorced parents and was not more respectful of either one. (they were teen parents and only married for like a month) I almost feel like the mom raising them at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,378 times
Four daughters 14, 11, 10, 6. They all want mommy.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
My children are very close to both of us. Nobody is distant. We are a very informal family. We have very similar personalities as far as strictness, humor, etc. I'm more outgoing and emotionally connected. He's more introverted and deep. People say he's quiet but when he says something it's either important or funny. That's a good description of him. We give opposing advice. Our kids are lucky to weigh what they hear and make their own decisions. I think they come to me most for guidance, but they actually get more from going to their father. I don't know if that makes sense. We just balance each other very well. If I'm not seeing the forest through the trees, he's seeing the forest, and vice versa.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
I think all 4 of my children are closer to me. Their father has a temper and is no fun at all. I am more open and accepting, calmer, show my love more, and am a lot easier to be around than him. We are divorced.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Mom.

Cuz I am the hammer.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
All mine but one are adults. It depends on what is going on. If they just want to chat, want a biased cheerleader, think they are in love, or they want to cry or moan about something - I'm the one. If they have car trouble, something is broke, are purchasing something with a plug, or need money advice - Dad is the one. Some things we both get to hear about, it can be fun to compare what they have told each of us. We are both close to them all, just in different ways.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Mine are away at school. Dad gets the calls regarding car issues, or computer upgrades. I get the requests for money, which is kind of funny, because their dad is much less likely to question why they need another deposit in their account so soon.

They email the big news(grades, exams, awards etc) to both of our email accounts.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
It's all me. They are grown up now and only see their dad a few times a year but they don't seem to mind because that's really about as much attention as they got from him when we were all under one roof too. He wasn't a bad guy, just not really into the whole "being a dad" thing.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
My daughter is very young still (not quite three) but at the moment she is much closer to me. Me and her father are no longer together but she spends a third of her time with him, but at the moment (hoping its just a phase as its pretty heartbreaking) she is so much more attached to me that she doesn't even want to go to her dad's. We are both kind of casual and fun with her but I am definitely the stricter one.
She also has a step-father who she is close with - he is the fun "parent" who she loves to play with (and she will pick him over me to read books with!) but I'm the only one she wants when she is upset (or when she wakes in the night *sigh* ).

Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Mom- me
cause I'm the one who feeds them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting