Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well I doubt the number of hours you give your parents even puts a dent into what you would have to pay to support yourself fully. By support yourself fully I mean 100%.

That means you pay for a roof over your head.
Food in the fridge.
Utilities.
Cable.
Cell Phone.
Car.
Car insurance.
Gas.
Clothes.
Entertainment.
Health Insurance.
Laundry.
Anthing else.

I doubt the value of any hours you put in for your family even comes close to covering what it would cost you to provide these for yourself.

You are looking at what it costs your parents out of pocket but he real measure of what these things are worth is what it would cost YOU to provide these for yourself. THAT is how you should be measuring the value. I assure you that the value of your services is not meaningful.

Food in the fridge.Grow most of my food since i eat a mostly plant diet, but i won't lie i raid the old pantry for some stuff
Utilities. Well water and Solar powered so they are none for anyone
Cable. Don't pay for it but then again neither do my parents
Cell Phone. n/a
Car. Used,but I did pay for it
Car insurance. Pay for it
Gas. Pay for it
Clothes. Don't really buy them often but i pay for them unless you count ones i get for gifts.
Entertainment. I'm a dull person so reading/getting online/having friends over is my entertainment.
Health Insurance. Pay for it
Laundry. n/a
Anthing else.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 04-21-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
A landlord can tell you no smoking IN the place youre renting but if you want to sit outside in your car and smoke two cigarettes at once they cant do a damn thing about it.
They cant give you a curfew.
They cant tell you if you can or cant spend the night at a boy/girl friends house, cant tell you if that boyfriend or girlfriend can spend the night or live with you....it IS discrimination against marital status.

Essentially a landlord can only control so much and cannot control what you do outside the house.
Legally yeah you can be contracted into anything baring them selling you into slavery or having you do illegal stuff. But if you sign a contract that says you have a 10 p.m. curfew then it is enforceable. As long as they apply to every tenant in the building it's fair game.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
LK: How is laundry n/a?

Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
LK: How is laundry n/a?
I don't use laundry soap lol so i figured n/a was applicable.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well I doubt the number of hours you give your parents even puts a dent into what you would have to pay to support yourself fully. By support yourself fully I mean 100%.

That means you pay for a roof over your head.
Food in the fridge.
Utilities.
Cable
Cell Phone
Car
Car insurance
Gas
Clothes
Entertainment
Health Insurance
Laundry
Anthing else.

I doubt the value of any hours you put in for your family even comes close to covering what it would cost you to provide these for yourself.

You are looking at what it costs your parents out of pocket but he real measure of what these things are worth is what it would cost YOU to provide these for yourself. THAT is how you should be measuring the value. I assure you that the value of your services is not meaningful.
Food in the fridge. TG and I buy groceries for ourselves and eat at his place or grab something off the dollar menu.
Utilities. That's TG.
Cable That's TG.
Cell Phone I pay for my own, TYVMGS.
Car Bought for me with money from bonds my grandmother managed for me, I don't have access to it, nor do I have access to my trust fund.
Car insurance Paid by me as well.
Gas Paid by me as well, plus TG doesn't have a car and I drive him places he needs to go and I don't charge him gas, he helps sometimes but not a lot with gas.
Clothes I've gotten 3 new pairs of jeans in the past 6 years. One which is too big now, so technically I only have 2 pairs of jeans and both are getting too big on me.
Entertainment TG and I split that cost. We either play disc golf for free or we go to the dog park which is cheap so we both pay for that but that's as much as our entertainment gets, we're boring, we watch tv if were home or other various activities but we don't spend money on entertainment.
Health Insurance That gets deducted from MY paycheck twice a month.
Laundry TG or I depending on who remembers to buy laundry soap but I also do our laundry most the time, fold it and put it away and help him clean up.

I also do the dishes and help out wherever needed where he lives now.
We also take turns buying bathroom supplies like shampoo and conditioner and body wash.

The 1-2 nights I stay at my mom's for pretty much no more than 8-10 hours usually sleeping and if I take a shower its a 10 minute one, well it makes me such a freeloading dipwad that I should be shot in the face and thrown into a volcano ass first.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I don't use laundry soap lol so i figured n/a was applicable.
Ew. WTF do you use?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Both of you forgot the first one: roof over your head. Mortgage, homeowners insurance, property taxes, upkeep.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Both of you forgot the first one: roof over your head. Mortgage, homeowners insurance, property taxes, upkeep.
TG pays $400 in rent.
I make up for that with bathroom supplies, gas, food, and other expenses.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Oh, you moved out? I'm sorry, I didn't realize! That's great! Good luck to both of you.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

And something to sit on, besides the floor - same with sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting