Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Which is fine, but your children will make up their own ideas on it, and they might not feel the same.I have any kids at this momeny
I realize that, but I hope that we do see eye to eye. I'll explain to them my part, I'll raise them on how I feel on this, but I cannot be w/ them 24/7. On the other hand, when a parent does not snap when their teen asks about sex, the teen is more likely to consider their parents opinion.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Thread: Father castrates teenage daughters boyfriend.......

Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I would never even think about anything like that (unless the guy was really tall and a boxer and thought he could get away with anything).......but I understand.

Not something that would normally cross my mind though.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Which is fine, but your children will make up their own ideas on it, and they might not feel the same.

children's ideas are influenced a great deal by how they are raised

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
children's ideas are influenced a great deal by how they are raised
Yes they are influenced but that does not mean they will follow your beliefs 100 percent. Very rarely are you going to get kids to abstain from some form of sex just because you personally hold that belief. You are are fighting biology, and when you pit moral beliefs vs biology it is no contest usually.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I realize that, but I hope that we do see eye to eye. I'll explain to them my part, I'll raise them on how I feel on this, but I cannot be w/ them 24/7. On the other hand, when a parent does not snap when their teen asks about sex, the teen is more likely to consider their parents opinion.
With most things this is true, but abstinence is a very personal choice. Which is why you can never clearly put your finger on why some people chose it and some don't.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Yes they are influenced but that does not mean they will follow your beliefs 100 percent. Very rarely are you going to get kids to abstain from some form of sex just because you personally hold that belief. You are are fighting biology, and when you pit moral beliefs vs biology it is no contest usually.
Hey paganmama,

I'm just wondering how much close contact do you have with teens who are very religious Christians? Teens who have decided to wait until marriage for religious reasons? Teens (and adults for that matter) who make a commitment to God to stay chaste as a gift to their future spouses?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hey paganmama,

I'm just wondering how much close contact do you have with teens who are very religious Christians? Teens who have decided to wait until marriage for religious reasons? Teens (and adults for that matter) who make a commitment to God to stay chaste as a gift to their future spouses?
FWIW, the majority of people I know who chose this (not saying I know tons and tons, but a couple from my college) did not do it because they where brought up this way, but because they where reformed "bad kids" who started drinking at age 12 amongst other things.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hey paganmama,

Pagan mama was raised as the black sheep of a very catholic and orthodox extended family unit and went to a catholic high school to humor her ancient grandmother. Most of the ones i saw with ultra religious parents didn't choose the same path as their parents, and only a handful who chose the path themselves seemed to be able to remain like that till marriage.....and that's just talking about intercourse. I couldn't name anyone i met who was a total chaste virgin till marriage to be honest.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
I couldn't name anyone i met who was a total chaste virgin till marriage to be honest.
THIS.

Many girl I know who "abstain from sex" find no problem in partaking in all the other fun non penetration activities. In my eyes, that doesn't make you a virgin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting