Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

What smug, self-congratulatory, sexist b.s. Lucky for a girl you weren't her mom - sound ill-suited for parenting (and I did note you were a "reluctant parent"). Gag.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM

218 posts, read 455,183 times
This cracks me up! My father and mother have 3 girls (im the middle). My father (who is a plumber) was doing a job at a ladys' house one day. The lady had 5 boys!! All under the age of 7 (poor lady). Well, the little boys were running around all crazy, screaming and crying (which doesn't bother dad, he loves kids.....always wanted a "full dinner table") Amidst the screaming the lady askes my dad, "Do you have any children?" and he proudly responded, "YES! I have 3 daughters!"....she condescendinly responded with, "and you like that?" hahaha it was as if he said "I have a tumor!".....Her statement, "And you like that?" is now something we say frequently around the house.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
I have three boys...also hoping my last one would be a girl...and I'll be honest I love my boys don't get me wrong...but I still wished I had a girl....I DON'T like sports I don't go to games...or encourage sports....I don't like to do any boy things...Call it what you'd like...but I have NO INTEREST in doing anything other than movies, or normal family things with my boys...let their father do those things with them....I wished I had a daughter....so I could spoil and shop and have fun with...unfortunatly this is my situation...and these are my feelings...please don't call me names or call me ungrateful for having these children...but we are all entitled to our OWN feelings...My husband and I have been married for 20 years and have three boys...ages 17, 11 and 2...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't find what she wrote to be sexist or offensive at all. I'm in the same position with three sons. There was a time when I was hoping my third would be a girl. I was so sick of navy, gray and brown clothes, all I wanted was to shop for some pink or yellow. But, I am far more suited to parent boys. I love baseball and football and rugby, and find softball, soccer and ballet tedious. I champion independence in my sons, and don't need anybody to shop with or do my nails with.

Yes, I know some awesome girls, in fact I sometimes grab the 10yr old daughter of a good friend to see a movie with or take her on a trip to Claire's. But, honestly, once or twice a year is enough, and there's nothing wrong with admitting I'm more suited to sons than daughters.
But it is sexist because the assumption is that the girls are the ones who will want to go shopping, do nails, and wont play sports and get rough or tumble.

I have raised four children, three girls and one boy. The narrow view of nails and shopping belittles all the are as people the same way pretending boys are only about sports does. My brother (who I primarily raised)is a talented writer, a sensitive soul, and reminds me that chivalry is not dead at all. My sisters and daughter were surfers, hikers, science nerds and occasionally wore purple but weren't fans of pink.

Maybe those of us who have actually raised both realize it best. They are individuals first, not genders.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfun View Post
I have three boys...also hoping my last one would be a girl...and I'll be honest I love my boys don't get me wrong...but I still wished I had a girl....I DON'T like sports I don't go to games...or encourage sports....I don't like to do any boy things...Call it what you'd like...but I have NO INTEREST in doing anything other than movies, or normal family things with my boys...let their father do those things with them....I wished I had a daughter....so I could spoil and shop and have fun with...unfortunatly this is my situation...and these are my feelings...please don't call me names or call me ungrateful for having these children...but we are all entitled to our OWN feelings...My husband and I have been married for 20 years and have three boys...ages 17, 11 and 2...
Just a reminder, you might have had a daughter who hated pink, dolls, and all of those things. Having a girl does not guarantee you will have a child with similar interests to your own.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
What are "boy things" and "normal family things?"

Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertrude Ansong View Post
Above all,I don't have to worry about my girls going out to get pregnant.
I find this statement shocking. Would you absolve your sons of any repsonsibilty for a pregnancy?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I doubt if any moms are sorry for the way things worked out. This may come as some surprise to you, but us moms of daughters feel the same way.

If you like football, baseball and rugby, your daughters probably would have, too. Both my daughters are big football fans b/c their parents are. Also basketball, and hockey, which DH and I have less interest in. One is a big soccer fan as is (gasp!) her boyfriend.
Well, I know this is an old thread, but I am sad I have three boys. I only wanted girls. And my boys are more difficult than any of my family's or my friends daughters. In fact the mother's of both tell me the boys have been harder. I love my kids more than anything, but I struggle with it everyday. Good for you for being happy, but OP, you should not belittle anyone with girls or think you are better...at least you come off that way.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
Quote:
I feel your pain...I understand EXACTLY how you feel. I feel the same way. My boys are 11, 8 and 2. I have three boys too and feel the same way about sports and any boy stuff. My kids do not play sports either and I don't encourage it, but they don't ask either. My husband also doesn't like sports, so that makes it easier. I long for a daughter and am very sad to know I will never have one. I'm sad I will never get to go prom dress shopping and wedding dress shopping or hold my daughter's baby. Its different when its your daughter's child, my mom always said that. She loved all of her grandchildren with everything she had but she said it is different when its your own daughter having the baby. I hate that I can't buy dresses and little sparkly shoes, and do their nails and buy them little ruffled bathing suits. it hurts in so many ways. I long for the realtionship I ahd with my mom, the connection, the love and understanding. I can only one day hope for a granddaughter, but I think it just won't be the same.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I feel your pain...I understand EXACTLY how you feel. I feel the same way. My boys are 11, 8 and 2. I have three boys too and feel the same way about sports and any boy stuff. My kids do not play sports either and I don't encourage it, but they don't ask either. My husband also doesn't like sports, so that makes it easier. I long for a daughter and am very sad to know I will never have one. I'm sad I will never get to go prom dress shopping and wedding dress shopping or hold my daughter's baby. Its different when its your daughter's child, my mom always said that. She loved all of her grandchildren with everything she had but she said it is different when its your own daughter having the baby. I hate that I can't buy dresses and little sparkly shoes, and do their nails and buy them little ruffled bathing suits. it hurts in so many ways. I long for the realtionship I ahd with my mom, the connection, the love and understanding. I can only one day hope for a granddaughter, but I think it just won't be the same.
I am sorry you feel that you are missing something but I can only tell you that the idea in your head of what having a daughter is like wasn't my reality at all. My daughter hated sparkly girly things (except barettes those she liked) and that was fine. I think it may impede your ability to be close to your boys if you hold tightly to a fantasy of what having a daughter is like.

Boys long for affection and can be sensitive and connected to their mothers as well as girls can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting