Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times

Advertisements

... I'm not sure! That sounds vaguely familiar, but that part didn't stand out to me.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
rkb - when DD was young she loved Grease! I remember seeing it at the movie theater when it came out (of course we all knew John Travolta as Vinnie from "Welcome Back Kotter")...watching it as an adult with a young child, I was like this: ! Who knew it had all those implications, and double entendres? Not me! She watches it now and says "you actually let me watch this when I was 7??"

DS17 wouldn't watch a musical if you held a gun to his head. But I won't tell you he is the KING of "Just Dance" on the Wii
I know!!!!! My kids watched it and I near died LOL. My 8th birthday party was to go see that in the movie theater with some friends.

All those years I thought Greased Lightning was only about a fast car.....

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Hopes...just to clarify...Elizabeth George is not the author of The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society....two different things. I realized my post could be misconstrued. Elizabeth George's books are similar to...PD James...if any of you have read those. BBC made a series out of them but I don't think they did a good job at all...I think they were called The Inspector Linley mysteries....very disappointing IMO.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I read that with my book club a while back. Just finished Angry housewives eating Bon Bons.
Quote:
Good for you for being in a bookclub! When we first moved here, I met a group of moms through preschool (in GV)....we formed a bookclub and stayed together for 10 years! It was great when our kids were little and we needed to get out of the house one evening a month.
I've always meant to join a book club, never got around to it. Someday. My life is filled with somedays.

Honestly, I simply FORGET that I wanted to do something. The next thing I know, it's a year or two later before I remember.

Quote:
I remember our first book was The Bridges of Madison County...LOL...that's how long ago that was!
Liked the book, hated the movie.

Quote:
She was all...."your goal should be to never ever read something like Grisham. Ever." ....now, I'm not a huge Grisham fan (only because he can't seem to end a book without using the witness protection program) but to say that books that are simply "get aways" are worthless is snobbery IMO. Sometimes, that's exactly what we all need.
Grisham is a nice light, fast paced read. Not deep, but definitely has his place on the self.

His best book was his first book, A Time To Kill. The rest are more fluff, obviously written more hastily.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I know!!!!! My kids watched it and I near died LOL. My 8th birthday party was to go see that in the movie theater with some friends.

All those years I thought Greased Lightning was only about a fast car.....

I know! It's quite a different experience watching it as an adult/parent!

I watched it and though..."hmmm....Sandy was so sweet and cute and innocent and this movie has her changing into a **** for some guy! That's not a very good message to send my daughter!"

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
... I'm not sure! That sounds vaguely familiar, but that part didn't stand out to me.
Oh no! I hope so because I just looked up the book and the other things I remember about it are correct.

I'm going to have to go get a copy to confirm it. I hate when I cannot remember this kind of thing.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Hopes...I was not a fan of Bridges of Madison County. The book or the movie. Of course, I wasn't a fan of Titanic either....like I said though, I am not an overly romantic type....

Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM

I was in a book club for two books once. The first book was great "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan". It still haunts me.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I know! It's quite a different experience watching it as an adult/parent!

I watched it and though..."hmmm....Sandy was so sweet and cute and innocent and this movie has her changing into a **** for some guy! That's not a very good message to send my daughter!"
I know! And at the end I find myself wishing someone would go to college for goodness sakes. Its like they are all going off to get married.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Hopes...just to clarify...Elizabeth George is not the author of The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society....two different things. I realized my post could be misconstrued. Elizabeth George's books are similar to...PD James...if any of you have read those.
I gotcha the first time. My response was typed half-assed.

I just googled PD James and looked at the list of her books, not sure if I read some years ago or not. I'll check her out too.

You're giving me a big list of possible authors to try out when my to-be-read pile dwindles down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting