Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

We need to talk about hair! I had my hair colored for the first time in my life yesterday!

I was a platinum blonde was a child. It turned to an extremely light golden blonde during my teen years. In my 20s, it remained very light and began to get strawberry highlights. It has remained very light colored blonde my entire life, except the under-side right above my became a darker blonde, which you could see when I had it in a pony tail. It was really unique and had lots of light colors in it----golds, reds, coppers----it's like very single strand was a different color.

Anyways, I decided it was time to color it. I was feeling washed out. The grey isn't noticable because it came in as platinum blonde---pure white. People TOLD me that it looked natural, like highlights. But I KNEW it was grey and I felt like I looked all washed out, especially since my skin color has changed through the years. Since everyone assumed I colored it anyways because there are so few natural blondes at my age, I figured it was time to take the plunge.

The hairdresser and I decided to dye it a dark neutral blonde. (Apparently, there is a concern that it will turn yellow if I went with a golden blonde since my hair is already so light). We chose a dark shade because of my skin color has a lot of red in it.

Everyone always tries to have the haircolor I just covered up! I do feel I was getting too old to look good in hair that was that light.

BUT MAN MY HAIR SEEMS SO DARK! It's pretty. It really looks great with my skin color. My green eyes really POP against the darker hair color.

My question is WILL I EVER GET USED TO LOOKING AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
You're new color probably is more flattering than platinum as you get older (sorry!)...even if that's your natural color, it can be a bit harsh or fake looking with older skin. You will get used to it. If you don't, maybe your hairdresser could soften or lighten it up just a bit (or add highlights)....

Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson.

Off to have some tea & unwind w/ some reading.

Is the Superbowl this weekend?

As for Grease, take a look at the drive- in movie scene when the hot dog/bun cartoon is on the movie screen...

Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!...Took me awhile to get into it though...the first 100 pages or so..I wasn't quite sure...I am waiting for the third of the series to come out in paperback!

Yes - the Superbowl is this weekend!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You're new color probably is more flattering than platinum as you get older (sorry!)...even if that's your natural color, it can be a bit harsh or fake looking with older skin.
That's exactly how I was starting to feel. My natural hair color was making my skin look OLDER.

Quote:
You will get used to it. If you don't, maybe your hairdresser could soften or lighten it up just a bit (or add highlights)....
I love the way my skin and eyes look with it. The actual haircolor, well, I'm hoping I like it someday.

What's funny is I'm the only blonde in my family. My sisters all have brown hair. One of my sisters has been putting TONS of blonde highlights in her hair to cover her grey. Now, my hair is darker than hers!

I'd love to be one of those people who dare to change my hair color regularly. The youger girls at work always had summer hair and winter hair colors. Maybe I can be so daring someday!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Yes - the Superbowl is this weekend!
Tell me about it. I think I'm going to crawl under a rock.

Pittsburghers have gone absolutely insane because this could be the 7th Super Bowl win for the Steelers.

Yesterday, the schools announced a two hour delay on Monday morning.

I don't know what it's like in other cities, but I think Pittsburgh fans are a too emotionally attached to the Steelers here.

They burned sofas in the streets when the Steelers won two years ago.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM

OK....so I have the book Water for Elephants. Everyone I know loves it. I should be reading it. I just can't get psyched to start it. I don't know why. I know absolutely nothing about the book. My GF's want to go see the movie when it comes out and they have all read it. I need to read it. Why am I so uninterested in picking it up? It's so annoying.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We need to talk about hair! I had my hair colored for the first time in my life yesterday!

I was a platinum blonde was a child. It turned to an extremely light golden blonde during my teen years. In my 20s, it remained very light and began to get strawberry highlights. It has remained very light colored blonde my entire life, except the under-side right above my became a darker blonde, which you could see when I had it in a pony tail. It was really unique and had lots of light colors in it----golds, reds, coppers----it's like very single strand was a different color.

Anyways, I decided it was time to color it. I was feeling washed out. The grey isn't noticable because it came in as platinum blonde---pure white. People TOLD me that it looked natural, like highlights. But I KNEW it was grey and I felt like I looked all washed out, especially since my skin color has changed through the years. Since everyone assumed I colored it anyways because there are so few natural blondes at my age, I figured it was time to take the plunge.

The hairdresser and I decided to dye it a dark neutral blonde. (Apparently, there is a concern that it will turn yellow if I went with a golden blonde since my hair is already so light). We chose a dark shade because of my skin color has a lot of red in it.

Everyone always tries to have the haircolor I just covered up! I do feel I was getting too old to look good in hair that was that light.

BUT MAN MY HAIR SEEMS SO DARK! It's pretty. It really looks great with my skin color. My green eyes really POP against the darker hair color.

My question is WILL I EVER GET USED TO LOOKING AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR?
I have really light hair as well. It started to get ashy when I stopped spending as much time outside. For a while I colored it back to my pre-ashy color - it was difficult to find light enough color but I did. Now I have a white streak in it that for now I am finding kind of cool. I don't know what I am going to do with it. I have golden undertones to my skin and my hair is naturally a very light golden blond, now with white as well. My mom was a champagne blonde and never had to color anything. Her white came in one strand at a time and just kind of blended.

I think I am going to leave it alone for a while because I know how bad a bad tone of color can make my skin look. I am kind of envious of the people who can do all sorts of interesting things to the color of their hair and it always looks cute. But I have had a great color hair for so long so I am not that envious.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
OK....so I have the book Water for Elephants. Everyone I know loves it. I should be reading it. I just can't get psyched to start it. I don't know why. I know absolutely nothing about the book. My GF's want to go see the movie when it comes out and they have all read it. I need to read it. Why am I so uninterested in picking it up? It's so annoying.
Whatever is holding you back, you must get over it soon. You CAN'T see the movie before reading the book!

Have you tried reading the first few pages? Or haven't you even picked it up?

I just checked the book reviews. It seems like it may be a likable book---if that helps inspire you.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's exactly how I was starting to feel. My natural hair color was making my skin look OLDER.

I love the way my skin and eyes look with it. The actual haircolor, well, I'm hoping I like it someday.

What's funny is I'm the only blonde in my family. My sisters all have brown hair. One of my sisters has been putting TONS of blonde highlights in her hair to cover her grey. Now, my hair is darker than hers!

I'd love to be one of those people who dare to change my hair color regularly. The youger girls at work always had summer hair and winter hair colors. Maybe I can be so daring someday!
I use the kind you do at home and it washes out gradually. It is kind of fun. I was kind of a dark blond naturally, then my hair kept getting darker. I finally decided to go with it and just dye it dark. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the gray very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting