Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Love that song! Part 2, Let Me Sleep On It, puts some innocense back into it!

I have a hard time getting into the habit of wearing sunglasses. I guess I should try harder!

I've highlighted before---on and off a few times in my life. I have had the big chunks of color, just lighly woven through individual strands. Highlights grow out better that way. And you can get lowlights put in to help the highlights grow out more naturally when your hair gets too light.

How your hair looked with those highlights turning white is how my hair ended up looking naturally because my grey is white. It wasn't white in big chunks but the overall hair on the top of my head and around my face became too light and colorless.

I washed it last night and it's looking more natural. Apparently, hair color lightens a big over the first week. I waited as long as I could before washing it so the color would have time to set in. I tried to wait the 48 hours but only lasted 34 hours. I can only go so long before it feels limp and lifeless.

But my hairline itches all around my head---along the edge of my face, neck, behind my ears. My entire hairline! I've got little bumps. I think I was allergic to it or maybe it was on my head too long. I don't know what. Hopefully she can do something to prevent the itching next time.
Hopes...I've been coloring my hair for going on 20 years. Both at home and professionally...never have I had any bumps or itching. That isn't right. Also, professional color should not fade much at all. ...When I do my own, yes, it fades. I've been having it professionally done for several months now (my grey just got too difficult to cover and frankly, it's messy and I hate doing it) and it hasn't faded. And I have medium-dark brown hair. Fading would be pretty noticable. You might want to find a better colorist who can find a color you feel more comfortable with.....

Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yay - plenty of time...ok..I DID pick up the book last night...and even read a few pages....Have to admit...I don't "get" the whole Robert Pattinson thing but...whatever...
At least you started!

Quote:
going to the grocery store today. Making lasagna. The men will be happy to have something of substance to eat around here. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yummmmm lasagna!
Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods! It's been a long time since I've made it. I might be inspired to cook it this week.

My son just got done putting hot sausage, red peppers and onions in the crockpot. I think that's dinner tonight for the men in my house tonight.

I can't eat HOT sausage (or any HOT foods). I'll probably toss a pesto for myself.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
I have so much hair. Literally. So much. I wash it like once a week because it hold up so well. I do have a lot of greys for a youg person. I color over them with a sharpie.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Hopes...I've been coloring my hair for going on 20 years. Both at home and professionally...never have I had any bumps or itching. That isn't right. Also, professional color should not fade much at all. ...
I don't know anything about this, obviously. Maybe it's all in my head about it looking better today.

But, yeah, the itching is unbelievable! I must be allergic. Back in the old day when I got perms (remember those? LOL), they needed to put some type of cream around my hairline before they permed my hair because my skin would break out in hives. Maybe I have a problem with any chemicals used along my hairline.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I don't know anything about this, obviously. Maybe it's all in my head about it looking better today. But, yeah, the itching is unbelievable!
It might have gotten dry for all the dye chemicals. Especially if its your first time. If I use a lot of products the build up tends to make my hairline itch and I get minor break outs .

Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
OH ugh... the itching. It makes me think of when I used to do perms! Ugh! So is your hair fine?...with lots of "natural" highlights (sparkly metallic looking hairs)?...silky hair that goes flat right away? Mine is! Grrr
YES! That's my hair! Perfectly straight too!

The individual strands are fine, but I have a super think head of hair because there are A LOT of individual strands.

And, yes, this itching is JUST LlKE when I would get perms. It's driving me crazy. Maybe Benedryl will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I have so much hair. Literally. So much. I wash it like once a week because it hold up so well. I do have a lot of greys for a youg person. I color over them with a sharpie.
You do have beautiful hair. Definitely know for certain which model was you now!

You're lucky that you only need to wash once a week. By 24 hours, my hair looks limp and feels too oily. It doesn't look oily, it just feels that way to me.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Abolene! I'd forgotten all about it.

My mother (who really had bee-u-ti-ful skin) used Moon Drops Moisture Petals. It was fairly pricey so she bought it twice a year on sale. (Probably cost 5-7 bucks but in the 60's that was a lot of dough.)

I've worn sunglasses since I was 6 or 7 and had the little fake plastic kind. Wearing them was always the movie star in me. I've progressed to perscription sunglasses but if I see a great pair I can't resist. I'm not one for the $300 designer jobs, though. But I like the Steve Madden's and they go on sale at Macy's. (Woo hoo.)

Anyway, have a great, safe and blessed day everyone!

We are off in search of Hawaiian food for tomorrow. DS#1 is in town so that's a treat.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Yep, I'm allergic to hair dye!

Hair Dye Allergy

Hair dye allergies

Hair Dye Allergies | Healthhype.com

I guess this is the last time I'm getting my entire head dyed until I get to the allergist for allergy shots.

My doctor wanted me to start getting allergy shots anyway. Adding one more allergen to the formula won't be a big deal.

The article says that highlighting can still be done because the hair dresser can keep the dye from touching the skin.

I guess I'll just keep getting highlights and lowlights put into my hair over the next year to hold me over until allergy shots are completed.

If I can't tollerate highlights, the article says that temporary color that washes out might work too.

What a mess. I decided to finally take the plunge only to find out that I'm allergic.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,729,361 times
Quote:
Yep, I'm allergic to hair dye!

Hair Dye Allergy

Hair dye allergies

Hair Dye Allergies | Healthhype.com

I guess this is the last time I'm getting my entire head dyed until I get to the allergist for allergy shots.

My doctor wanted me to start getting allergy shots anyway. Adding one more allergen to the formula won't be a big deal.

The article says that highlighting can still be done because the hair dresser can keep the dye from touching the skin.

I guess I'll just keep getting highlights and lowlights put into my hair over the next year to hold me over until allergy shots are completed.

If I can't tollerate highlights, the article says that temporary color that washes out might work too.

What a mess. I decided to finally take the plunge only to find out that I'm allergic.
How about cammomile shampoo Hopes...or cammomile tea rinses? That helps to keep my hair from getting too washed out and blah (if I remember to DO it!) LOL Another thing I've been splurging on is the Pantene Blond Expressions and/or Pantene Highlighting Expressions shampoo and conditioner. It's amazing how much brighter your hair stays. Like yours, my hair is board straight...which hehe, keeps me from having to heat damage it in order to make it "look" straight! My hair is so fine that it does not tolerate being heat styled too much. Sure, it's soft and shiny, but it doesn't hold a curl and styling it damages it too much to bother and I simply hate perm grow out! Thank goodness for all of the wonderful hair decorations out there!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 AM

You might want to look into Aveda Salons for hair dying. The dye doesn't last as long but it's all natural dyes which are a lot easier. My sister has a lot of allergies and she is a hairdresser and she works with these chemicals every day and they are very mild in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting