Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It took me five years and that was over 30 years ago. Over-crowded university. I couldn't get the required classes. The plus side was that I ended up getting more than one degree because I was taking so many electives.

Hey MM: You going to watch the game today? Have a favorite team?
Of course I'll watch the game! I don't so much have a favorite between these two teams but....

I am rooting for the Packers (even though I spent many years as a Bears fan...and still like the Bears -except for Cutler)...I'd love to see them win just so they can rub it in prima donna Favre's face that they did just fine even without him and all his drama. I also am not a Rothlisberger fan...I do like Polamalu though..who doesn't LOL....

And you? Who will you be cheering on between bites of yummy Hawaiian food?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It took me five years and that was over 30 years ago. Over-crowded university. I couldn't get the required classes. The plus side was that I ended up getting more than one degree because I was taking so many electives.
My sister ended up with a double major in 5 years too. She did change her major during her second year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I also am not a Rothlisberger fan...
Pittsburghers aren't even Rothlisberger fans. We're stuck with him. He got an 8 year contract 3 years ago.

Quote:
I do like Polamalu though..who doesn't LOL
Troy is a cutie!

There you have it----that's everything I know about the current Steelers!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
I am rooting for the Packers (even though I spent many years as a Bears fan...and still like the Bears -except for Cutler)...I'd love to see them win just so they can rub it in prima donna Favre's face that they did just fine even without him and all his drama. I also am not a Rothlisberger fan...I do like Polamalu though..who doesn't LOL....

And you? Who will you be cheering on between bites of yummy Hawaiian food?
Packers all the way! We Cardinals fans still have an ache in our hearts from loosing two years ago to the Steelers. Physical pain LOL.

But I am a huge Polamalu fan even though he went to USC. (My school's cross-town rival.) But he's totally cool. Love him as a person.

You know they're still talking Cutler to come to the Cards. Supposedly L. Fitz wants him or Kolb. And what Larry wants, Larry will probably get.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Hmmm...I hadn't heard that about Cutler....after all the drama about him and his injury during the playoff game I hadn't been following too much. He's a talented QB for sure. He could probably be great if he grows up some. I don't know that he's an asset in the locker room though and I think the best QB's are leaders on and off the field....If you have other strong leaders on the team and he's not an actual detriment in the locker room, then it might work. Not sure if his attitude crosses the line from "not a leader" to actually "detrimental".....

Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's awesome! My daughter is right on track too. (Fingers crossed!) Most people I know who didn't finish in four years changed their majors.
It took me 5yrs for undergrad b/c I switched colleges & changed my major 3 times. It took me 3 1/2 for my MaED & that was part-time. It was impossible to do grad school full time due to $$.

One thing that is VERY prevalent in our area & I think so great is the use of community colleges the 1st 2yrs to get in basic classes & one's feet wet. It's $89/credit hour. It is over $600/cr hr at most of the private in our area.

But I can also see & completely support attending 4yr universities. I just know back in my day, community colleges were so frowned upon & now, they are almost trendy & offer some awesome weekend classes such as cake decorating & landscaping!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM

We have an awesome community college in our county. It offers 170 programs and was ranked 2nd and 4th two different years for graduating the most nurses nationally.

I love the noncredit classes! I was just looking at the current selection today. I'm thinking of taking a yoga and a cooking class.

I'm having trouble deciding which cooking classes because there are quite a few I'm interested in taking and my schedule is limited.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Community colleges are a great option. Especially now, with the economy like it is. I've tried to suggest to DS that living at home and going to CC for a couple of years would be a great option for him. And the opportunity to graduate with a significantly lower debt burden. So far, he's not interested. He wants the experience of going away to school. I understand that and don't blame him...but still, I think it's an option with a lot of merit.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM

I went to a CC first but transferred when I moved to L.A. I actually worked harder at the CC as, for a variety of reasons, the student body was older than the other CCs in the county. There were two "party" CCs and my "non-party" CC.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM

The other thing that's great about community colleges is that the class sizes are actually smaller than at the Universities. Students get a better student teacher ratio.

All of our regional colleges and universities accept most of the community college credits when transferring.

I just wish community colleges had dorms. None of our community colleges campuses are party schools. There's really no 'school life' since it's a commuter school.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...I hadn't heard that about Cutler....after all the drama about him and his injury during the playoff game I hadn't been following too much. He's a talented QB for sure. He could probably be great if he grows up some. I don't know that he's an asset in the locker room though and I think the best QB's are leaders on and off the field....If you have other strong leaders on the team and he's not an actual detriment in the locker room, then it might work. Not sure if his attitude crosses the line from "not a leader" to actually "detrimental".....
Whoopsie! My lunch time mai tai went to my head. It's BULGER not Cutler.

(Dang Hawaiian drinks...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting