Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times

Advertisements

I loved safety town. When I was older I worked at it. So fun.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
My kids loved safety town. The bus....well all I will say about that is to keep a dialogue going about it. I meet my kids at the bus stop and if there is something going on they tell me about it straight away. It really is a social microcosm all it's own. For all the **** that goes on on the bus, they develop friendships, and it's quite a unique place to learn some social skills.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Ha the bus. I was one of the few "little" kids that rode the bus with mostly high school kids. My bad kid neighbor rode with me (before he was bad, he actually was a nice person who got in with the wrong crowd later in life. He's dead now FWIW)

The little kids had to ride in the first few rows and one day there where at lot of HSers and I had to sit with an older boy on the bus. No big deal we where in the first row. Well he offered me a piece of gum. The gum package had a cross on it and I thought it was medicine and I went home and told my mom. She instantly took me off the bus, (which is unlike her since she usually investigates things before making rash decisions). Anyways a week later we where at the grocery store and the same "medicine" was at the check out and I showed me mom. Let's just say I was on the bus the next day.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know what hit me at some point FR? One night, I was carrying DD upstairs since she had fallen asleep snuggling with me on the sofa watching a movie. At some point, it occurred to me, that one day, I would carry her sweet sleeping self up the stairs for the last time, and I wouldn't even know to cherish it because who knows when the last time will be?

It really does go fast. DD is 20 and I can vividly remember shopping with her for the "perfect" outfit for the fist day of kindergarten....seems like yesterday.
Aww, that's a really sweet story mm. It's hard to believe it goes fast when they are under 4. But it's getting pretty real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I sign my 5yo up for safety town next week.
He is going to full day kinder next yr...to include riding the bus
HE is excited about the bus. Me, not at all. I'm ok w/ the school thing, but the bus thing...he is too little, too precious of cargo to be on the bus w/ middle schoolers!!
At the same time, I watch his independence, his joy & zeal for life. He told me the other day a girl looked at him. I asked him to repeat himself & he said "So & So looked at me & smiled at me. She is so cute."
He draws actual pictures now. Writes his first & last name. Can count to 100. Dresses himself. LOVES to make breakfast & lunch. Makes his bed.
When did it all happen???
I love watching him grow. At the same time, I want to protect him in a bubble so no one can hurt him; make him sad, do something that would take away his happiness....but that is not life.
He will be ok. I've always known that about #1, he will be the one that will always be ok.

YEp, FR, enjoy it. It does go by fast. But at the same time, it's fun to start the new journeys.

I am SOOOOO happy I've never started my kids early in school or activities. MY #1 will always be one of the oldest as will #2. And since #3 is a summer baby, he will always be one of the oldest. #1 is just starting the activity cycle.
The bus! With middle schoolers... I didn't even think of that.

But your point is well taken, I too am excited about the future - it's just that it's here already!

BTW, what is safety town? I don't know of it.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
My youngest will be in Kindie next year too, and will ride the bus. Fortunately, it is only elem kids on the bus.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
You know what hit me at some point FR? One night, I was carrying DD upstairs since she had fallen asleep snuggling with me on the sofa watching a movie. At some point, it occurred to me, that one day, I would carry her sweet sleeping self up the stairs for the last time, and I wouldn't even know to cherish it because who knows when the last time will be?
You're going to make me cry! My last time was a few years ago. I carried my children when they were rather large. They used to fall asleep in my bed and then I'd carry them to their bed (not upstairs) when I came up at night to go to sleep. I carried them when they were well over 100lbs and weighed more than me. My sister is smaller than me. She weighs about 98lbs and she carried her daughter when her daughter weighed 150lbs.

Quote:
It really does go fast. DD is 20 and I can vividly remember shopping with her for the "perfect" outfit for the fist day of kindergarten....seems like yesterday.
I remember standing in the parking lot with four other mommies I grew up with and went to elementary school with. I watched my children walk into the elementary school where I went and I cried. Four of us were crying. Then I said, "My life didn't have meaning before I became a mother." My girlfriend, the one who wasn't crying, I knew since preschool looked at me like I had three heads and said with disgust, "Oh, please!" LOL She never embraced being a mommy like the rest of us.

I remember how hard it was to adjust to them being in kindergarten---away from me. I found myself wondering what they were doing every minute of the day. I felt like I would feel better if I ONLY KNEW if they were learning English or in gym class or at lunch. It was so hard for me to adjust to letting them go, but I sucked it up and I didn't let on how I felt.

My eyes are stinging right now remembering those days.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Most older kids are usually very protective of super young children, even ones they don't know.

The bus drivers keep them segregated too. The very young children sit up front near the driver and the older children sit in the back.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
BTW, what is safety town? I don't know of it.
It's a safety program for kids that teaches about fire, pedestrians/traffic, water, guns, strangers and poisons/drugs, etc.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Back from the movies. I love seeing a movie when there are just a handful of people in the theater. This morning we were a party of eight. For those of you who haven't seen "The King's Speech" I can absolutely recommend it. I sat there trying to find a bad bit of costuming or a bad, not-of-the-time-period prop and couldn't.

On the topic at hand: I don't think I ever had that flash. We've had a lot of bad health and early passings in our famly. Since I was 10ish I've had a "cherish every single day" mentality and always aware that everything changes. DH, however, would probably tell you he had that moment the first time the boys played football in pads lol.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,336 times
Emerson is obsessed with his father.........Hey kid daddy doesnt breastfeed you! Hahaha. He loves watching Call of duty and his uncles old football tapes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting