Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch Dr Phil today? Show topic aside I swear the guy is wearing some sort of disguise! He is definitely wearing a fake beard and wig. So weird.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
I saw that too - looked like a hairpiece on his head, didn't notice the beard. Plus the hair he -did- have, was a horrible dye-job.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Hi everybody! I haven't been on in awhile and I hope everyone is well. My laptop caught a virus and the blue screen of death! So now I must wait to purchase a new one.

Wishing you all the best and I will be popping in once in awhile.

Mrs. X

Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Hi everybody! I haven't been on in awhile and I hope everyone is well. My laptop caught a virus and the blue screen of death! So now I must wait to purchase a new one.

Wishing you all the best and I will be popping in once in awhile.

Mrs. X
X!! How are you, Mrs? I was wondering where you've been hiding. Nice to see you pop up again.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Good evening all! MrsX - I feel your pain. My laptop died before Christmas. I'm now relegated to sharing the family computer....sigh....I don't see my laptop being replaced anytime soon. It was an indulgence anyway. A birthday gift to me a few years back, not for any real reason other than I wanted it....so no real justification for buying new one. Pop in when you can.

I've been glued to the TV in the early evenings now....watching The Jewel in the Crown...

I've been checking the news on the quake in NZ...so sad. Hope everyone who has family there is hearing good news.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Earthquakes were not really a part of our language growing up. We're more prepared for bushfires and drought, and cyclones. Although, of course that was Australia, which is geologically a different place entirely than NZ. I don't remember it ever being an issue for New Zealanders either, though. Certainly people are not living with the expectation of a big one like they do in California. I don't remember any at all of this kind of magnitude (and two that close together!).

I'm sure it was quite unexpected and is devastating for everybody. The city looks terrible. There were some beautiful landmarks that are just rubble, and a lot of people trapped still.

I feel just terrible for them. It really does remind one of the fragility of our existence, which I always try to take as a poke from nature to treasure our time and loved ones, and to make the most of what we have and who we share it with.
Yes, it is terrible. However, even if you don't grow up with many earthquakes, it is still earthquake territory. Sometimes a fault is less active and picks up. I was just commenting that it's not proof of nor disproof of God.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, it is terrible. However, even if you don't grow up with many earthquakes, it is still earthquake territory. Sometimes a fault is less active and picks up. I was just commenting that it's not proof of nor disproof of God.
When I made that comment, I wasn't really expecting it to be taken seriously (as in not a serious question as to God's existence or otherwise) because that discussion belongs in another forum!

To update - the rescue/recovery work is ongoing and will continue throughout the night (2nd night). There is little likelihood of pulling too many more people out of the rubble alive, but hope remains that some can be found. About 300 people are still missing.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I'm hoping that 300 number drops dramatically.

You'd be amazed how long some people survive after earthquakes.

There are always miracles---sometimes weeks after the earthquake

It depends on their access to food/water or their knowledge about drinking their own urine.

That's why it's important to never give up looking for them.

Here's a short article listing the longest lasting survivors--28 days, 63 days, the rest are around 15 days. Ages range from infants to 97 years old.

Earthquake survivors: the longest waits for rescue - Times Online

22 newborn infants lasted 7 days!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Yes, Hopes - those are the thoughts that keep everyone hopeful. Unfortunately, one of the buildings where there are many trapped people, collapsed to the point where the higher floors 'pancaked' onto the lower floors and then caught fire. A little while ago, the rescue people determined there was zero percent chance that anyone would still be alive in there - and that it is just too dangerous for them to go into. There have been very many aftershocks (as in about 70 or so) and these are also hindering rescue efforts.

Having said that, the rescue people will keep working through the night, so let's hope we can wake to some good news and some 'miracle' stories.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I just hate hearing when they quick rescue efforts because they deam it impossible for there to be any more survivors. I hope they continue and Australia has some miracles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting