Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone,

Hopes, I'm very glad you are OK. And here I was wondering where you were yesterday. There is a funicular in L.A. called Angel's Flight. There was a huge too-doo years ago when they redeveloped downtown and closed it for years. Then it was moved. It's part of L.A. history so if you are downtown it's something to experience.

Cheer, the baby sounds wonderful!

Pea Soup Anderson's: There was also a restaurant near San Diego. I don't know it it's still there. It was a nice place to stop on the drive down from L.A. I used to buy their canned soup for my dad. Who was on a "heart healthy" diet. He'd put about 1/2 stick of butter in it, so I wouldn't buy it all that often. The butter kind of defeated the good stuff in the peas.

My heart is going out to the Kiwis right now. Christchurch is sooooo lovely and the people in New Zealand are just the best.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Earthquakes were not really a part of our language growing up. We're more prepared for bushfires and drought, and cyclones. Although, of course that was Australia, which is geologically a different place entirely than NZ. I don't remember it ever being an issue for New Zealanders either, though. Certainly people are not living with the expectation of a big one like they do in California. I don't remember any at all of this kind of magnitude (and two that close together!).

I'm sure it was quite unexpected and is devastating for everybody. The city looks terrible. There were some beautiful landmarks that are just rubble, and a lot of people trapped still.

I feel just terrible for them. It really does remind one of the fragility of our existence, which I always try to take as a poke from nature to treasure our time and loved ones, and to make the most of what we have and who we share it with.
I have some family in Christchurch (who are all safe and accounted for this morning), and interestingly they were telling me that although they were aware of EQ risks, it has never been a reality, and the general consensus was that the last one was considered the freakish once in a lifetime deal. Who would ever have anticipated another more devastating one so soon?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Zimbochick, I am very glad everyone is all right. I can imagine that you spent a few worrisome hours.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Zimbochick, I am very glad everyone is all right. I can imagine that you spent a few worrisome hours.
Thanks Dew. Still no internet or cell available, so many people are out of communications. My family, luckily, were able to send a text. There are many more who have had no communcations with loved ones, that is scary.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Still no internet or cell available, so many people are out of communications. My family, luckily, were able to send a text. There are many more who have had no communcations with loved ones, that is scary.
Zimbo, keep us posted. I can't imagine going through this in the middle of the day. For some reason, thank God, the big ones in L.A. hit in the early morning. How are their homes? We had damage from the Northridge quake but, again thank God, had earthquake insurance. Best money we'd ever spent. I'm sure they had their wits scared out of them. After Northridge, especially, my adrenaline was pumping for weeks. (And I'd been through a lot of quakes.)

We were in a mall a couple of weeks ago where the food court was on the second floor. The floor was shaking under our feet and both DH and I were ready to dive under a table. There was a guy who worked there who said, "Oh, it always shakes like this." I couldn't work there. I feel shaking and I'm thinking earthquake and I'm ready to react.

I'm assuming NZ will get L.A. Search and Rescue people flying in. Those guys are the best.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Zimbo, keep us posted. I can't imagine going through this in the middle of the day. For some reason, thank God, the big ones in L.A. hit in the early morning. How are their homes? We had damage from the Northridge quake but, again thank God, had earthquake insurance. Best money we'd ever spent. I'm sure they had their wits scared out of them. After Northridge, especially, my adrenaline was pumping for weeks. (And I'd been through a lot of quakes.)

We were in a mall a couple of weeks ago where the food court was on the second floor. The floor was shaking under our feet and both DH and I were ready to dive under a table. There was a guy who worked there who said, "Oh, it always shakes like this." I couldn't work there. I feel shaking and I'm thinking earthquake and I'm ready to react.

I'm assuming NZ will get L.A. Search and Rescue people flying in. Those guys are the best.
I think that was a big problem, busiest time of day. I read on CNN about a visiting school group from Japan who were in a restaurant, and all but 2 were missing

When we were living in Seattle, we were in Costco when a 6.7 came rumbling through. That is not a good place to be in an EQ. When the lights went off, there is zero natural light, and they have shelves stacked up to the ceiling. Yuk!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
When we were living in Seattle, we were in Costco when a 6.7 came rumbling through. That is not a good place to be in an EQ. When the lights went off, there is zero natural light, and they have shelves stacked up to the ceiling. Yuk!
You experienced my biggest nightmare: Being in a place where they have washing machines stacked to the roof. I was in a Costco yesterday and I felt uneasy. Even here where there are no quakes. Yesterday I was dusting nick-nacks I have on top of the kitchen cabinets and I was thinking about how I never did that in CA.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
My friend just dropped off my car! It's in perfect condition!

When he got there this afternoon, there were 15 other abandoned cars.

All of the other abandoned cars were SMASHED!

Mine was parked in the middle of it all and the only car that was untouched!

That'S truly amazing! Luck was shining on me!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
wow Hopes, that's amazing!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Hopes, you are one lucky lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting