Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
A lot of people at CSU's and UC's don't graduate in four years because they can't get the classes they need. It's a bigger problem now with all the budget cuts because classes got cut. We have lots of community colleges here, and they are super cheap. I believe they are currently $26 a unit. Unfortunately, even those classes fill up. I was going to take classes at the one closest to my house, but by the time I was allowed to register every class that could have helped me was full.
My friends and I were all at a UC school from 2003-2007.

---------

I didn't see the Kitten Halftime show because I was watching the actual Superbowl, but I'm sure it was better! A few of my co-workers like the Black Eyed Peas so I am familiar with the music, but live....ick. No offense to people who like them but I hated the live show.

And good for Green Bay. They definitely deserve it

Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,333 times
Good for you and your friends. Plenty of people don't have the same experience you have. I've spoken with teachers, students, and parents who all know this problem exists. It's also a bigger problem in CSU's.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,915 times
I teach at a state university, and a four year degree usually takes five years on my campus, even if students attend full time. Unless students work on campus and are available to take classes round the clock, they will not graduate in four. Most upper division required courses are offered only once per year, so if a student has to wait for the prerequisite and then wait for the next course...At a certain point, students run out of courses that count. Our department gives absolutely no closed class permits, so there is no way to get into a filled class. We aren't even permitted to allow extra students to attend our classes during add/drop so that they can wait to see if someone drops out. Our department also never allows substitutions for required courses.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I didn't see the Kitten Halftime show because I was watching the actual Superbowl, but I'm sure it was better! A few of my co-workers like the Black Eyed Peas so I am familiar with the music, but live....ick. No offense to people who like them but I hated the live show.
I saw both. Kitten Halftime was before the football game started. I'm not anti-Black Eyed Peas. I like Fergie, but that live halftime show was terrible.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I graduated in 4 years going to a huge public university without taking summer classes and even after I had to re-take 2 classes. I also changed my major partway through. I can see it being difficult for someone who has to work a lot of hours to pay for school or for a transfer student who needs to take a few more credits, but for the average person it's not that difficult. If you don't get a class you need, take another one you need in the meantime. If you don't have one of the prereq classes then talk to the professor and see if you can get in anyway. If you desperately need a class usually your adviser can work something out. My adviser let me substitute one lab class for a different one because they were very similar. I completely skipped out of a writing class by taking a test. One of my friends skipped a basic math class also by taking a test for it.
Well good for you, () but things have changed since I was in school.
First there was no talking to the professor to see if you could get in. And certainly no skipping out of a class by taking a test for it. During registration we sat on the lawn and were given numbers to register for a class like we were waiting to buy seats to a rock concert. Professors were so inundated with people wanting an "in" they put a note on their door (next to the life size picture of Bobby Kennedy) saying, "Don't even ask".

Starflower Very happy for you!

Morning everybody! Hope everyone has a great day.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Morning all, Dew!

So I'm making two giant chicken pies with a puff pastry top for the homeless ladies today.

I got a ? - I'm going to use two frozen puff pastry sheets per pie - do I just roll them together to make one big one? I'm not sure how to join them. I usually just use one whole one for not so giant pies. Should I wet the join so they'll stay together?

I don't want to play around with the dough too much or it'll get tough - right? I'm big on cooking but pastry is not my strong suit.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So I'm making two giant chicken pies with a puff pastry top for the homeless ladies today.

I got a ? - I'm going to use two frozen puff pastry sheets per pie - do I just roll them together to make one big one? I'm not sure how to join them. I usually just use one whole one for not so giant pies. Should I wet the join so they'll stay together?

I don't want to play around with the dough too much or it'll get tough - right? I'm big on cooking but pastry is not my strong suit.
Aww... Bless your heart! Morning, Finster!

Good question. I'd try to put them together on a flat surface with just a little flour to prevent stickiness, overlap them about an inch, then pinch them together with my fingers/rolling pin. Then lay it over the top. Probably too big for that though? Just lay them both on top and pinch them together with a little water.

(Why do I think everyone will have a different way of doing this?)

Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Thanks Dew.. I think the overlap and pinch and roll will be a good solution. I've never done ones this big. I think I'm worried about it sinking in the middle. I'm doing them in oval pans that are like the ones you do a turkey in.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thanks Dew.. I think the overlap and pinch and roll will be a good solution. I've never done ones this big. I think I'm worried about it sinking in the middle. I'm doing them in oval pans that are like the ones you do a turkey in.
Well, it may not look purty but I'm sure it will taste just fine and be a blessing to the ladies!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Ok, so I only saw a few minutes of the halftime show, which as usual, sounds awful & is, I don't know, like a Vegas show or something.

But, I logged onto FB this morning & this was all over...

It is too, too cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting