Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Loved the Darth Vader commercial!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,729,361 times
I loved that Darth Vader commercial too! Also among my faves was the one with the dog and Doritos...hitting the door and knocking it down...hehe...too dang funny! As for the "Mahem" commercial, well frankly....I'm not really sure I've seen one of those that I don't like. I'm terrible, I've even gone onto You Tube to watch them all. Hehe....For me, the commercials are the best part of the Super Bowl! Daughter and I were already cringing, wondering what Aguilara was going to do to the national anthem...I thought I was going to DIE when she repeated that stanza! I knew she'd be all over the place.....but to mess up the lyrics, that one I'd never imagined. How horribly embarrassing.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Gosh you guys, it's time for my son to leave for bootcamp. We take him up to the airport tormorrow, we're spending the night and he flies out on Wednesday morning, around 5 a.m. I'm such a basket case y'all. DD and I had to run to town today and I went to the card section...trying to hold it together of course. We have a theory, if it makes you laugh til you're about to pee, it's a funny card. If it brings a lump to your throat and tears to your eyes, it's a great sentimental card. Okay...like I said, I was hanging in there....doing fine....until...............

I started reading a card, I opened it up and it had the song, "You'll Be In My Heart" by Phil Collins. Oh CRAP! It's like someone reached in a yanked my heart out! I lost it! DD saw me, she immediatedly started tearing up, we started laughing at each other and then I couldn't stand it. I'm such a freaking dork!! OMG I shoved the card back into the slot and tore out of the aisle, bawling like an idiot! I couldn't STOP! Holy crap! I've been trying so hard to be the tough mom...trying to hold it together for the whole gang and what do I do?... I fall to pieces....right in the middle of Walmart. Wouldn't you know it, I wasn't even done shopping. Of course, I didn't buy the card. I know my son...if it hit me that hard, it would KILL him. It's all ready such a hard thing for him...we're all so very close. We do so many things together as a family...I mean, he's 21, but we're just so close and my 2 year old grandson and him are so very close. I think my son's going to miss him the most.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
(((((beachmel)))))

I didn't know your son was going into the military! That would be hard for me too! I can just imagine how I would feel.

You're doing a good job holding down the emotional fort. At least you have the good sense to not give him the card---knowing it would make it harder on him to leave.

It must be a hormonal day for both of us. I was reading in the library at school and had to leave because the book I was reading made me start crying!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
(((((beachmel)))))

I didn't know your son was going into the military! That would be hard for me too! I can just imagine how I would feel.

You're doing a good job holding down the emotional fort. At least you have the good sense to not give him the card---knowing it would make it harder on him to leave.

It must be a hormonal day for both of us. I was reading in the library at school and had to leave because the book I was reading made me start crying!
OH yes, you hit the nail on the head there Hopes ((((((((HUGS)))))))) Yeah, it's exactly the wrong week of the month for this to be happening. My most hormonal time AND his departure time is here. Sorry you're having a hormonal day, too! Oh man I hate that!

I bet you can imagine how it feels. There are so few opportunities around here right now and he knows he needs to find something "stable". We know it too, and if he was one of those terribly rebellious young men, who could stay away from the "wrong crowd", or parties, you know, it might make it harder, but he's such a sweet young man, who is loved and loveable (even by his younger brother...a little) LOL. As I said, he absolutely adores his little nephew, is always taking him places and buying him things, just knowing that he's gonna have to be away from his little buddy for, not only bootcamp, but possibly 6 years, with only occasional leaves, is tearing his heart out. He's going to miss us all, but my grandson is going to be missed most of all.

I kept convincing myself that I could hold it together....but man it's tough.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
((((((beachmel)))))))

Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I kept convincing myself that I could hold it together....but man it's tough.
You're allowed to be human! You're a mom! It's okay to cry! Even in front of him! You can't hide it anyways. He knows you're going to miss him.

How long will he be at basic training? Will he be able to come home for a visit right after basic?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Beachmel,

DM sent. Prayers said. Right now... RIGHT NOW, God is blessing your son. And you!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Thank you my dear friends and yes....LOL I am crying....especially after that DM and the message that it's okay to cry......THANKS HOPES!! LOL Rkb....I need hugs....I need lots of hugs. I'm going to miss my baby. He'll be in Chicago for 13 weeks and no, we don't know if he'll get to come home after basic. Yeah.....bawling like a baby and having to wash my face and get presentable for my younger son's bb game in a bit. Ugh.....LOL I love you all! Thanks so much for the support!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Beachmel- been there, done that, have the tshirt....

There is one thing I can say, from being in the military & also being a military wife, that there will be a pride in you that is irreplaceable as well as your son. It is hard to explain, but you will come closer to understanding what I mean by that when he completes his training.

Make sure to send him tons of cards. Mail is by far the best motivator when in training.

I remember our drill sergeants telling us how not to worry about things back home; that nothing back home changes. There was something oddly comforting about that comment.

Most times one cannot come home after Basic, but you will probably be able to talk to him much more after Basic.

I would never want to do BCT or OCS again (b/c honestly, it stinks but it meant too...) BUT, I cannot even start to explain the people I met; the hearts & minds of these men & women who do indeed do a job many would never want be it the Coast Guard, Navy, AF, USMC or USA. A job that many times is thankless, ruthlesss, and neverending. The friends I made; the families I met....NOTHING has ever compared. I always say my years in the military were the best & worst times in my life.

Your son will meet people who will become lifelong companions; who would do anything for him & vice versa. Remember that when you are worried.

It's not easy letting a child go off to BCT. But, he'll be ok. You'll be ok. And come graduation...you'll see how it was all worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting