Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Hi guys...

Stuff... I hate stuff. I've been a nomad pretty much my whole life so never had much stuff until now.

It's amazing how quickly it accumulates. We got rid of tons of it before we moved across country last year - and there's still stuff in the basement I don't use. A lot of it came from my inlaws as they retired and moved just as we got married - but it seems like it just multiplies.

Plus there's dollar stores. I believe they are a major contributor to stuff. I banned DH from going as he spent $75 there once. That's 75 pieces of useless stuff. Having said that, I just sent them to the Toys R Us down the street that's closing down, so I could get some work done. *sigh*. More stuff, but hey, it's really cheap stuff!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Yep...not much of a stuff person myself but you are right. You end up with it anyway. I have the basement crawlspace full of stuff. I won't go through that until we move. It's really awkward to get in there. A few years ago I took an entire week off of work and went through and got rid of tons of stuff in the basement. Clothes and toys from when my kids were babies. Old college books and employment records/paystubs from years and years ago. It was cathartic. It's just really hard to keep up with when your kids are little.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Dew....I have so much crap. I am shredding old backup CDs from DD's high school years! I can't stand it and having it all just adds to my stress level. Now that DD is more or less gone, and DS is pretty self sufficient, I have a lot more time and energy to go through all of this. Plus, the less stuff you have, the easier it is to keep clean and organized. Every year, I get a rid of more and more "stuff"....By the time we're ready/able to sell this house and move on (guessing in the next 5-10 years), it won't be a huge chore.

Bookcases. My dream room is full of built in bookcases! Currently our "living room" (front room) is too small to be the kind of formal living room I grew up with - which is fine by me because that's not how we really live anyway. A number of years ago we just threw up our hands, got rid of the sofa and chairs that never quite fit (brought from another house), bought 2 comfy leather club chairs, some bookcases and called it a day. The room gets much more use now - with less seating.

Don't you love watching people move in?

Our weather is nice...it was sunny this morning, now a bit of cloud cover but still not bad. I think it is in the low 50s. Not bad for Feb. Snow is melting.
We NEED a main floor office but don't have one. I wish I could pick up the 4th bedrm upstairs and attach it to the first floor. The grand plan is to move 1 more time and a main floor study is an absolute must. We have a small desk for the lap top in the living room, but we also have my grandma's old couch that I'm not willing to part with. So it is more of a living room with a desk in it than it is a study. I already have my future office planned in my head. I want to have it done by one of those closet companies with places to hang coats and backpacks, and work spaces for each family member. All of the mail and clutter will go in that room and stay out of the rest of the house.

Where do you think you'll move in 5-10 years?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hopes - thought of you. My goal is to get my taxes done and submitted by the end of this month!
Funny! I admire your lofty goals!

Hey, I created a pile of mail for my taxes. That's a start, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Plus there's dollar stores. I believe they are a major contributor to stuff. I banned DH from going as he spent $75 there once. That's 75 pieces of useless stuff.
My husband loves the dollar store too. You're lucky you can ban yours. Mine does what he wants.

He dragged me with him once. I bought a pair of flipflops. The strap broke the first time I wore them. I remind him of that all the time.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
DH did the taxes and we already have our state return!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM

rkb - our office currently is DD's old bedroom. Our house is 4 bedrooms (all upstairs). When the kids were little our 4th bedroom was our combo office and guest room. It's only been in the past months that we've packed up DDs "stuff" and stored it, moved the desk into her old room. Now, when she comes home, she stays in the guest room.

We probably won't move far - just to a different house. We're conveniently located to our jobs right now and we're still a good 15-20 years away from retirement. We've lived in this house since the kids were just starting school. It's been great but our needs are different now. I'd like a ranch style with 2 bedrooms and an office then a full finished basement with a large family room 2 bedrooms and a full bath. Plus a smaller yard. That would suit our needs much more.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
It took me 9 months to sort through and pack up for our move. I had our stuff, my parent's stuff, and my grandmother's stuff. Memorabilia is what kills us. And souvenirs from travelling. This house is like a museum. I should seriously charge admission.

The Disney stuff is totally out of hand and I can't part with any of it. My Dopey pieces alone have a life of their own. People walk in here and say, "Umm... Somebody work for Disney?" "Yes. What clued you in?"

Old 02-12-2011, 03:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
As for stuff, I still have things from my wedding shower, new & in box...that was 8 years ago... Truth be told, a lot of it is pyrex, Caphalon & our eating utensils; items that over time will be used.

I can't throw away boxes (moving/mailing boxes).

Go through phases were I get rid of everything be it donated, handed down or thrown out. After #2, I swore to high heaven I was done. Got rid of everything; baby clothes, maternity clothes, big toy items. That came in really handy when I found out I was preggers w/ #3 & he, too, was a boy...

I love cleaning & organizing though. I wouldn't mind being a professional organizer for I hear people pay lots of $$ for someone to come in & straighten out their closets & such.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Whew....got lots done today...Still have more to go but got a real good dent made. Then took Macie for a walk since it was so nice out. Not windy at all. I sure wish there was a good movie on TV....I'm ready for some serious vegging. DS has 2 lacrosse games tonight. One at 9:30 and another one at.....10:50! Yes, 10:50. PM. Is when it starts! Doubt I'll make it. This is when I'm thankful he can drive himself. I'll be snoring by the time he gets home (well, not really, I never REALLY sleep until everyone who is coming home, gets home...mom thing).

Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I'm doing nothing today. Hubby is at work and won't get back until around eleven probably.

A Latin Mass in Hawaiian Gardens? Weird. We go to one in Orange County. Three are about the same distance from here. They are all about thirty minutes away. I love the Latin Mass. It's so beautiful and awe-inspiring in my opinion. I'm really glad Pope Benedict liberalized its use because Mahoney was really bad about it. He only allowed it for one week a month in four different churches. That meant you had to go from church, to church, to church, to church every month. Now he's retiring finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting