Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It took me until I was in my 30's until I could bring myself to buy a can of frosting. It feels like I'm cheating or something. I remember saying that once and my friend's daughter said, "So how else do you get frosting for your cake?"

And I will NEVER EVER use instant mashed potatoes. I think you go to hell for that.
I still don't buy frosting, and I won't buy chocolate chip cookies either. Instant mashed potatoes, however, guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
You seem fine to me Katiana.

You grew up in a mill town? Were there a lot of Eastern Europeans? If there were I can pretty much bet there were other people in the town doing the same thing.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes!!

If there is anyone here who grew up watching "Engineer Bill", "Sheriff John" or "Popeye the Sailor Man hosted by Tom Hatten" you are now feeling so warm and loved and overcome by happy memories you are heading for the fridge to grab a big glass of milk to play "Red Light, Green Light".

Those men were GODS in TV in Los Angeles in the 50's and 60's. GODS!!

Did they show the "Three Stooges"? If so, did you have to take THE PLEDGE? (Meaning a solemn vow that you would not imitate the Stooges to the effect of face slapping, eye gouging, etc.). All my friends, that I know of, still have both eyes. Seriously, you can see Sally Starr in "Here Come the Outlaws", a 1960's Stooges picture that used a lot of the kiddy show hosts that screened their shorts. Not to mention it starred ADAM WEST, the REAL BATMAN.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Did they show the "Three Stooges"? If so, did you have to take THE PLEDGE? Not to mention it starred ADAM WEST, the REAL BATMAN.
Yes, they showed the Three Stooges in L.A. But it wasn't a special show like the others I mentioned. Just the films. The local shows were live, had kids in the audiance. A lot of later-famous producers and directors cut their teeth on them.

For some reason I was never a big Stooges fan. But Adam West is, most definitely, the real (Da da da da da da da da) BATMAN!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
You seem fine to me Katiana.

You grew up in a mill town? Were there a lot of Eastern Europeans? If there were I can pretty much bet there were other people in the town doing the same thing.
Thanks. In answer to the questions, yes and yes. Is this an Eastern European custom? My mom was German ancestry.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Also, is it just me, but - our mothers were ALWAYS ready to host a bunch of the neighborhood friends for Sally Starr (Popeye Theatre) , or Batman, or The Flintstones? Nobody cared where you were - if you were at your friends' house watching these shows, drinking Koolaid or Welch's Grape Juice (out of a Flintstones Glass), and eating cookies, they knew you were okay? If we weren't home (when our favorite shows were on), our mothers automatically knew where we were.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks. In answer to the questions, yes and yes. Is this an Eastern European custom? My mom was German ancestry.
All the stories I've heard and read from women who did it were Eastern European. I suspect a lot of cultures have done it (or something very similar) for eons. And in a mill town doesn't everybody know everybody? The mothers would exchange child-rearing tips or have something like this passed down to them from their mother.

I know my grandmother (Polish) did it as the need arose. I asked my mother once if she did it and she said No, there was never a need.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
All the stories I've heard and read from women who did it were Eastern European. I suspect a lot of cultures have done it (or something very similar) for eons. And in a mill town doesn't everybody know everybody? The mothers would exchange child-rearing tips or have something like this passed down to them from their mother.
My mom wasn't from there, and she grew up on a farm. She may have gotten the idea from seeing someone else do it. After all, we were tied up on the front porch for all to see, so others probably did so as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My mom wasn't from there, and she grew up on a farm. She may have gotten the idea from seeing someone else do it. After all, we were tied up on the front porch for all to see, so others probably did so as well.
That pretty much tells you it was an accepted practice. (I'm assuming Child Welfare never knocked on your door because of this.) Is your mother still living? It would be interesting to find out how she came to do it.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
That pretty much tells you it was an accepted practice. (I'm assuming Child Welfare never knocked on your door because of this.) Is your mother still living? It would be interesting to find out how she came to do it.
No, Child Welfare never checked up on us (that I know of). Sadly, my mom has been gone these past 11 years, will be twelve in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting