Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Addy isn't a "slave" doll. She's a former slave, living in freedom in Philadelphia. She's doing things like going to school, etc. Take a look at the books or look at how girls REALLY play with them before jumping to conclusions. I've seen a lot of girls, both white and black, who have Addy, and they are NOT playing "slave" with her.
From American Girl's site...

Addy Walker’s story begins as she and her mother are escaping slavery to find Addy’s father and brother, who’ve been sold away. But their escape means leaving Addy’s baby sister behind—her cries could cost them their lives. Once Addy takes her freedom, can she re-unite her family?

This means she is a slave who is running... And if you know history, you know that Unless she had papers that said she was free, she was NOT!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are you referring to the Japanese internment camps? There weren't any Nazi German concentration camps in America.

If you're talking about the internment camps, there are some excellent novels for kids set at one of the camps in California. Manzanar is also open to the public; I haven't been there yet, but hope to bring my son there sometime. It's now a national park service historic site.
There were also internment camps for Germans and Italians. The difference is that no one talks about those. Schools only teach about Japanese internment camps.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
There were also internment camps for Germans and Italians. The difference is that no one talks about those. Schools only teach about Japanese internment camps.
That's exactly right. Very few people even know where the German and Italian camps were. I also detest the use of the term "Internment Camp", as though it makes it any better. There were many different terms used to describe the camps, as if to soften the vile nature of the detention. 62% of Japanese detained were American Citizens.

Sorry, way off topic here.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My dad was Italian, born here and served in the army in WWII and I had never heard about these myself. Of course, I knew about the Japanese Internment camps.

Here are two links

Internment of German Americans in the United States during World War II

Italian Internment WWII

Interestingly, Canada has internment camps as well which I was unaware of.

Internment Camps in British Columbia and Canada

Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes there were, perhaps we really do need these dolls to teach history.
No there weren't. There were interment camps, but the were no concentration camps in which Jewish people were shot, bludgeoned, gassed, etc. Interment camps were horrible, brutal places, but they were not concentration camps.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
We didnt have any holocaust survivors come to America?

There is a "Mexican" doll that was not born here? Santa Fe was part of Mexico (hello!) during the time period she was born.

What would be the difference...
AG *could* have made the Jewish girl a Holocaust survivor, I suppose. She's from the 19teens, which of course predates the Holocaust, but I'm not familiar with her story. I'm still not sure why she *should* be a Holocaust survivor because the AG line also has a slave? I don't see that parallel.

I'm not familiar with Josephina's story either, so I couldn't speak to that point.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I think OP had his mind made up before he ever posted. He is set on the fact that Addy is a "slave doll" even tho he has not read the books and we have told him page after page she is escaping from slavery.

There is no cotton picking in the books. But don't let the facts get in the way mr. GE.
If you asked 100 7-8 year old girls what "cotton picking" or "slave" meant I doubt they would ever be able to give a definition, except those girls who have parents who still teach racism by being so misguided or ignorant.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If you asked 100 7-8 year old girls what "cotton picking" or "slave" meant I doubt they would ever be able to give a definition, except those girls who have parents who still teach racism by being so misguided or ignorant.
Wait. Are you saying the only 7 to 8-year olds who know about slavery have racist parents? I'm confused.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
From American Girl's site...

Addy Walker’s story begins as she and her mother are escaping slavery to find Addy’s father and brother, who’ve been sold away. But their escape means leaving Addy’s baby sister behind—her cries could cost them their lives. Once Addy takes her freedom, can she re-unite her family?

This means she is a slave who is running... And if you know history, you know that Unless she had papers that said she was free, she was NOT!
Yes, but she was from North Carolina and was therefore covered by the Emancipation Proclamation. Really, I think you'll have a different view once you read the books, or, if not, at least be better prepared to make fact-based complaints.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait. Are you saying the only 7 to 8-year olds who know about slavery have racist parents? I'm confused.
Absolutely NOT. I'm saying -maybe not in such a clear manner- that anybody who thinks playing with a black doll who comes with a history book must be played with in a condescending manner. He wonders if little girls play with Addy as picking cotton or being a house maid and never have imagination play with a black doll being a doctor, accountant , engineer or any other "positive" role .

My girls are from Vietnam and we have some Asian dolls even in VN dress. They know what rice paddies are, oxen do and some little about the VN War. Do they play with their Asian Dolls killing Americans (they are from North VN), hiding in wait as Vieg Cong, harvesting rice and starving in the streets? Of course not.

Just because they know about this part of history does not mean it is uppermost in their minds or that they have internalized the history which is part of them. I worry about a parent who is so determined to have Addy be a "Slave" that he might be teaching this attitude to his girls.

Dolls are probably more important to me than most. I inherited a tremendously valuable international collection of wonderful dolls from an aunt. In researcing them as an adult, I learned so much about where they were made, what was happening at the time and the artists behind them. In other words HISTORY.

I carted them around and gave wonderful presentations to girl scout troops, churches and schools for 15 years until I was warned I was compromising their value.

Then I opened a collectible and antique doll shop to try to pass it on. So I don't see dolls are simple play things. Just as a serious musician doesn't think of music as just music. I hope I have made myself more clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting