Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well something's up.

You've come to a forum you don't normally post on, (not that you aren't welcome) you've mentioned your mother more than once, (usually guys don't bring up their mother), you've been on this thread for, what - an hour?, and you pulled the "I'd be called a sexist pig" card.

Not trying to be mean but obviously it does more than just bother you from "time to time".
Not sure what you're insinuating, but since you're so sure something's up, maybe you won't mind telling me what it is.

I brought up my mother because as a SP, she was the one who made the decision. I don't know what's so confusing about that. But apparently people here must think I subconsciously hate her, and plan to exact revenge on her and anyone else responsible. Damn them!

It's a done deal for me, and I can't get back what's already gone. That doesn't stop me from being passionate on the subject.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not sure what you're insinuating, but since you're so sure something's up, maybe you won't mind telling me what it is.
I was actually genuinely interested in what kind of influence or impact it has on you. But you seem unwilling to share. I am left with the thought that you simply want to use the fact that you are male and circumcised as some kind of faulty appeal to authority. Not that I don't agree with you that circumcision is not a good thing. But you lose a great deal of credibility with that kind of logical fallacy.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
LOL...You obviously took that personally when I was actually sticking up for you but while we're at it you even admitted there are conflicting reports on the effect of circumcision. Are you just choosing to believe the negative reports? Why not put as much stock in the ones that don't support your theory?

From my perspective it sounds as if you have a bigger problem than whether or not your circumcision, decades ago, is still affecting ("bothering") you today.
I didn't take it personally, I was just letting you know. No reason to get defensive.

Never said what I actually believed. I said there was a theory floating out there that made me wonder.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I was actually genuinely interested in what kind of influence or impact it has on you.
Could've sworn that I expanded here:

Quote:
Though there are conflicting arguments, and no hard evidence to support the idea that sex is more pleasurable for men who are uncut, that theory is out there. While I'm 400% confident and proud of my body parts and sex for me is great, I can't help but imagine if I did lose some natural sensitivity.
...aside from the simple fact that part of my body was chopped off without my approval.

Now is it that you did not see me make these points, or that you simply chose not to accept them?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Could've sworn that I expanded here:

ould've sworn that I expanded here:

Quote:
Though there are conflicting arguments, and no hard evidence to support the idea that sex is more pleasurable for men who are uncut, that theory is out there. While I'm 400% confident and proud of my body parts and sex for me is great, I can't help but imagine if I did lose some natural sensitivity.
So you are comparing the unknown to the known, and concluding that this impacts you? You have no baseline of comparison. Sex is great. Yet you pine for what might have been?

Quote:
...aside from the simple fact that part of my body was chopped off without my approval.
How does that IMPACT you? I did not choose to be forced to eat my vegetables. That does not make me a staunch advocated for forcing kids to eat vegetables.

Quote:
Now is it that you did not see me make these points, or that you simply chose not to accept them?
My point is, as a fellow advocate of convincing people perhaps to not choose circumcision, I hate when I see arguments that are so lame as to distract from decent arguments against. So far, as I said, your argument is nothing more than a failed appeal to authority.

You aren't going to convince anyone with that.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Not sure yet. But keep posting because I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out.

Right now the front-runners are someone said something to you about it in bed, (or the locker room) or it has to do with race. Maybe politics, but I don't think you're from the Bay Area so that probably isn't it. Give me time.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So you are comparing the unknown to the known, and concluding that this impacts you? You have no baseline of comparison. Sex is great. Yet you pine for what might have been?

How does that IMPACT you? I did not choose to be forced to eat my vegetables. That does not make me a staunch advocated for forcing kids to eat vegetables.
When you stress "IMPACT" like that, of course it makes it seem that my argument is useless. I have no idea how many times I have to reiterate that I am not traumatized by it, before you finally get that through your head.

It simply bothers me a bit that I had that option taken from me. I don't spend sleepless nights pining away for anything, but every now and then, I thought crosses my mind of "Hm, I wonder if it really is better like they say. Wish I had the option of finding out". The thought passes, and I go on with my life. I have no idea why you can't understand that.

Not once did I suggest that being circumcised is something that affected me tremendously. You all were the ones insinuating that.

Back in post #415 is when you first suggested that I was having trouble "dealing" with circumcision and was using this as an argument, when I've stated atleast twice that some cut men are bothered by it and some could care less.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
When you stress "IMPACT" like that, of course it makes it seem that my argument is useless.
It is. If you cannot demonstrate that the action was in some way harmful, you have no useful argument against the action.

Quote:
I have no idea how many times I have to reiterate that I am not traumatized by it, before you finally get that through your head.
Well m' dear I am seeing a pattern here. If you would like to add ad hom to your bag of tricks I will wish you well and be on my way.

I am not in any way saying you were traumatized. YOU have indicated that by virtue of the fact that you are male and circumcised and that you have to "live with it the rest of your life" that that is somehow a compelling argument against circumcision. There are many compelling arguments. But the fact that it happened to you is not one of them unless there is some harmful result.

Quote:
It simply bothers me a bit that I had that option taken from me.
Ah. Well I suppose you are entitled to be bothered if you wish. You can see though, how that does not make a compelling argument? It bothers me a bit that I was denied the option to eat nothing but french fries growing up. That bother, by itself, does not constitute an argument that others should deny their children the option to eat nothing but french fries.

Quote:
Not once did I suggest that being circumcised is something that affected me tremendously.
Let's see if you can follow Logic 101. In the absence of an actual negative result, you have no argument. When you make a non-argument, you give your disagreers something to disagree with that distracts from possible decent arguments. You do your cause no service with this particular argument.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not sure yet. But keep posting because I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out.

Right now the front-runners are someone said something to you about it in bed, (or the locker room) or it has to do with race. Maybe politics, but I don't think you're from the Bay Area so that probably isn't it. Give me time.
Huh? From what I've observed, most women seem to prefer circumcised men, so I've never had any problem in that department.

I'm black, but race never crossed my mind, as I fail to see what it has to do with the topic.

I'll help you out: could it be that I simply have strong feelings on the subject?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
cut men
Your use of that particular term is a big help. Thank you. Keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting