Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
But on the other hand you don't understand why people think it is a poor choice to still have a 4 year old hanging off your breast?
Yes, I can understand why people think that would be a poor choice. I don't agree that it's a poor choice, obviously. I don't think that there are negative health implications to nursing a 4yo. If a mother chooses formula on purpose, I imagine that she too, doesn't think there are negative health implications to that either. Which is why I am talking about education, because I think that is incorrect. If you think that nursing a 4yo is a poor health choice for my child or for me, then perhaps you think I might need some educating on that topic too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
There are many many decisions we make for our children that affect their health. Why is it that breastfeeding seems to be the one topic that people feel free to inject their unwanted opinions into? My children were formula fed. I was formula fed. I don't feel guilty at all. I sure hope my Mother doesn't either. I know all about the breast is best propaganda. So I guess I am one of those in the category that doesn't care about their children then? Gosh, my poor children.

I really pay no attention to the lactivists. I find them to be over-the-top, hysterical, and often times very self righteous. There are many many reasons why one might choose breast or bottle. Is breast milk healthier? Maybe. But there are many other parenting decisions that are healthier, safer, etc. and Mom's don't seem to get browbeated about those topics nearly as much as breastfeeding. There are many circumstances that go into the decision other than simply what is healthiest.

For the record, I find the myth that breastfeeding better bonds you to your baby to be complete hogwash. My Mother and I have one of the closest mother/daughter relationships I've seen. I challenge anyone to claim they are closer to their mothers. My children and I are also extremely, extremely close. The lack of breastfeeding definitely did not affect our bond.

Not to mention, I'm still not convinced we know enough about how environmental toxins affect breastmilk. Breastmilk is delivered straight from the tap. Nothing is filtered out, good and bad.

Anyway, I can assure everyone that my children are heathy, happy, and well taken care of. No one needs to feel sorry for them, nor does anyone need to "educate" me in order to help me make better parenting decisions. I'm pretty darn happy with the choices I've made.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yes, I can understand why people think that would be a poor choice. I don't agree that it's a poor choice, obviously. I don't think that there are negative health implications to nursing a 4yo. If a mother chooses formula on purpose, I imagine that she too, doesn't think there are negative health implications to that either. Which is why I am talking about education, because I think that is incorrect. If you think that nursing a 4yo is a poor health choice for my child or for me, then perhaps you think I might need some educating on that topic too.
No, I don't think it is a poor health choice, I think it is a poor psychological choice.

I also don't think the negative health implications of formula feeding is as great as some would like me to believe. I have known a lot of babies of each variety and none stood apart from the other healthwise. Do I think breast milk is a little better? Yes, but I think the difference is negligible.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Question: How often are those women tested for transmittable viruses? It only takes one night in the sack for HIV. People who live with someone who has Hep C can't even donate blood. Are they allowed to donate breast milk?
I really don't know all of the answers to these questions, as I have not donated nor received donated milk. I don't know all of the details about the logistics and requirements. I am not trying to say that it is risk free. If I had the choice, I would most prefer to receive milk from a trusted family member or a friend.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I really don't know all of the answers to these questions, as I have not donated nor received donated milk. I don't know all of the details about the logistics and requirements. I am not trying to say that it is risk free. If I had the choice, I would most prefer to receive milk from a trusted family member or a friend.
Personally, I wouldn't use even a "trusted family member or friend". Especially with Hep C being a virus that a heck of a lot of people have, show no symptoms for, and don't even know they have. Even "nice people" get Hep C.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Hopefully we can try to not turn this into a Breast vs. Bottle discussion.

ADVentive, I'm not going to respond to your posts point by point, but I do have a question for you. You say breastfeeding is your passion. I am curious why?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I also don't think the negative health implications of formula feeding is as great as some would like me to believe. I have known a lot of babies of each variety and none stood apart from the other healthwise. Do I think breast milk is a little better? Yes, but I think the difference is negligible.
And what I am trying to say, is that I think that this is a very common opinion.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
I do believe that there are many folks who did not wish to use formula, but ended up there anyway. Which is another situation. There are those who choose formula from the start for specific reasons, perhaps abuse, perhaps family situations, etc But it is very hard for me to understand why someone with no other issues would just choose to use formula instead of breast milk just because they want to, if they know the facts. I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes someone a bad mom or a bad person, but I do think it is a poor choice, particularly a poor health decision. My FIL smokes, and I think that is a poor health decision, but it doesn't make him a bad person.

See....this is the second time you've included smoking as an equivilant choice as not breastfeeding. Smoking is detrimental. Not breastfeeding is less than optimal. Not the same thing by any stretch. And it's not just semantics.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally, I wouldn't use even a "trusted family member or friend". Especially with Hep C being a virus that a heck of a lot of people have, show no symptoms for, and don't even know they have. Even "nice people" get Hep C.
Here's what the FDA says about it:

Quote:
Consider the possible safety risks
If you are considering feeding a baby with human milk from a source other than the baby’s mother, you should know that there are possible health and safety risks for the baby. Risks for the baby include exposure to infectious diseases, including HIV, to chemical contaminants, such as some illegal drugs, and to a limited number of prescription drugs that might be in the human milk, if the donor has not been adequately screened. In addition, if human milk is not handled and stored properly, it could, like any type of milk, become contaminated and unsafe to drink.
Use of Donor Human Milk

Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
And what I am trying to say, is that I think that this is a very common opinion.
It could also very well be a correct opinion. Sorry, I have my own living, breathing walking stat sheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting