Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM

42 posts, read 122,691 times

Advertisements

Babies don't make me tickle.When I pass by the babies' hall in a supermarket, I don't feel anything..I don't think to myself " I can't wait to be a mom, I will be buying this this and that"

People always say having a kid will change everything! Your entire life will be swallowed by 2:00am feedings, dirty diapers, cramming schedules, constant germs worries, teenagers mood swings and college tuitions but yet they would not change having kids for anything in the world!

I've visited a friend who just had a baby.She confesses that she would trade working overtime than taking care of him right now until he turns 1 b ut it's still the most AMAZING thing that has ever happened to her.

So my question is: If babies are so much work why do we have them? I know women who go as far as divorcing and go adopt one on their own.

Is it an endless urge coming out of nowhere? Is it the instinct need for blood line and genes survival? Is it because you need someone to leave your inheritance to? What is it?

I think I would want to have some kids some day ( My hubby doesn't mind either way). I haven't pictured my life with kids yet, I just think they're adorable, that's all. If by the time I'm 28 I don't feel differently about having a kid (I'm 25 now) I will come to the conclusion that I'm just not the maternal type and babies are not for me..

So What made you want to have a kid?

Last edited by ImElizabeth; 03-07-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Wait...people actually decide to have kids? All three of mine just sort of happened...and I wouldn't trade them for anything...except an entire weekend of peace, quiet and uninterupted sleep and conversation with my wife.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
There are different strokes for different folks.

I didn't ::click:: with babies until I turned 26, then somesort of fever came over me and now I point them out to my husband and feel the urge to browse baby clothes and toys in stores. Sometimes a bio clock does eventually kick in. Everything I used to think was annoying is now "cute". But I'm still not gushing all over them or anything.

With time, your desire to have a child might increase, it might not. You just need to remain as honest as possible with your spouse and self. If you feel confusion over your feelings, it's a good idea to talk to a therapist. Maybe there is some anxiety in the background over the issue.

On the other hand, it is ok to NOT have kids if you do not feel led to. It is also OK to think they are annoying when they are screaming their heads off in a store, and it's OK not to gush all over your friends baby. Do not feel guilty about your normal reactions.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I'd say I feel the same as you.

I literally melt into a puddle when I see a cute dog or puppy. I want to pick it up, squeeze it and rub my face into it. But when I see a kid I think "Ew make it go away" I'm sure people feel the same way I do about babies toward dogs.

I have known this for a long long time. I even hated being a kid, for the fact that I was a kid. It's only now that I feel like my physical age is catching up with my mental age.

I would love to be pregnant. Honestly I would. And see what it's like to give birth. But then I would just want the baby to go "poof". I told all my friend I would be a surrogate for them no problem.

I am also not crazy about the idea of sleeping together every night too. I think it would be nice to have separate rooms when I get married.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I'd say I feel the same as you.

I literally melt into a puddle when I see a cute dog or puppy. I want to pick it up, squeeze it and rub my face into it. But when I see a kid I think "Ew make it go away" I'm sure people feel the same way I do about babies toward dogs.

I have known this for a long long time. I even hated being a kid, for the fact that I was a kid. It's only now that I feel like my physical age is catching up with my mental age.

I would love to be pregnant. Honestly I would. And see what it's like to give birth. But then I would just want the baby to go "poof". I told all my friend I would be a surrogate for them no problem.

I am also not crazy about the idea of sleeping together every night too. I think it would be nice to have separate rooms when I get married.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Wait...people actually decide to have kids? All three of mine just sort of happened...and I wouldn't trade them for anything...except an entire weekend of peace, quiet and uninterupted sleep and conversation with my wife.
Well there are some planned pregnancies and some unplanned ones. Happy that you have great family

Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
how old are you?

many women find that as they get older, the maternal instinct gets stronger.

and if you really dont want them- by all means DON'T have them!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElizabeth View Post
Babies don't make me tickle.When I pass by the babies' hall in a supermarket, I don't feel anything..I don't think to myself " I can't wait to be a mom, I will be buying this this and that"

People always say having a kid will change everything! Your entire life will be swallowed by 2:00am feedings, dirty diapers, cramming schedules, constant germs worries, teenagers mood swings and college tuitions but yet they would not change having kids for anything in the world!

I've visited a friend who just had a baby.She confesses that she would trade working overtime than taking care of him right now until he turns 1 b ut it's still the most AMAZING thing that has ever happened to her.

So my question is: If babies are so much work why do we have them? I know women who go as far as divorcing and go adopt one on their own.

Is it an endless urge coming out of nowhere? Is it the instinct need for blood line and genes survival? Is it because you need someone to leave your inheritance to? What is it?

I think I would want to have some kids some day ( My hubby doesn't mind either way). I haven't pictured my life with kids yet, I just think they're adorable, that's all. If by the time I'm 28 I don't feel differently about having a kid (I'm 25 now) I will come to the conclusion that I'm just not the maternal type and babies are not for me..

So What made you want to have a kid?
I have always wanted to be a mother, and have always loved babies/children. Unfortunately, when my husband and I decided to "try" for a baby. It didn't happen easily. Actually, it didn't happen at all. It turned out that after an extensive infertility workup, I had blocked tubes. So the only way for me to ever have a baby was through In Vitro Fertilization (IVF).

We were very lucky, my husband was working for a company that actually covered and paid for the IVF cycles. Our son was conceived four years after we were married and is now 12 years old.

I always knew I wanted a second child. I grew up with siblings and wanted my son to have at least one sibling. After a failed IVF attempt, we knew adoption was a great option. We adopted our beautiful daughter through an open adoption plan. She is now 6 years old.

For me, motherhood is a miracle. You may have a change of a heart in the future. But for now, just enjoy life. Yes, babies/children DO change your world completely around. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
There are different strokes for different folks.
On the other hand, it is ok to NOT have kids if you do not feel led to. It is also OK to think they are annoying when they are screaming their heads off in a store, and it's OK not to gush all over your friends baby. Do not feel guilty about your normal reactions.
Thank you for your reply. My sentiments exactly. It's not really that I think they are annoying but the responsabilities that come with them overshadow my view on the beauty of motherhood. Until I feel otherwise, I still think that babies are not for me.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

@ Suedonym : I'm 25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting