Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

I hate them. They can get rather expensive and all for junk that ends up in the trash. What I've done before is buy a box of band-aids that are the fun prints for the kids or match the theme and use those in them, a fun toothbrush that might fit the theme (if possible), lip gloss for girls (the multipack that I break open and divide), hair bands and such for girls, bubbles, etc. and then some candy. I hate all the penny toys that are cheap and end up just getting stepped on and no one plays with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
That's a great idea if I can find them a bit cheaper. There will be 20 kids so those jars would be $75 just as is.
I have seen them in the Target $1 bins before. Or Ebay lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And nobody uses the magnification to stand in the sun and fry the bugs? I'm impressed!
Of course they have. Pffft!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I found plastic magnification jars that would be perfect from Oriental Trading that will work great!! Thanks for the idea!!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

And not to be rude, but when is the party? Hopefully not during lunch or dinner or at least you mentioned somehow in the invites that a meal would not be provided.

Kids remember these parties. They don't have to be hundreds of dollars but getting an entertainer but nothing else is somewhat confusing. It's like having an open bar at a wedding IMO when you don't provide at least snacks & drinks for children you invite to your home.
The party will be at 2:30pm until 4:30pm so it's not at a meal time. Of course there will be snacks set out like pretzels, chips etc but other then that we will just do cake and ice cream. Who said there wouldn't be drinks?? They will have drinks with cake juice boxes will be there for them. I will have soda for the parents.

r.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 AM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
I hate goodie bags too. I like to go to the dollar store and find one decent thing (costing $1 each) to give out. They typically have activity books that may be good for older kids. For my daughter's 3rd B-day, we found small chalkboards with a few pieces of chalk. For my son's 4th B-day, we gave 24 piece puzzles from the dollar store as party favors . (We also gave out small goody bags with a few pieces of candy and a sheet of stickers, because my husband thought we needed actual goodie bags and not just a favor).

I also love the idea of giving big Hershey Bars (typically $1-$2 each).

Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
The party will be at 2:30pm until 4:30pm so it's not at a meal time. Of course there will be snacks set out like pretzels, chips etc but other then that we will just do cake and ice cream. Who said there wouldn't be drinks?? They will have drinks with cake juice boxes will be there for them. I will have soda for the parents.

r.
I was just wondering b/c you said you were spending hundreds of dollars on an entertainer but not providing a meal.

I just don't get the big deal over getting goodie bags prepared for kids. Of course they are filled w/ useless junk...that is half the point for the kids.

They will be grown ups soon enough realizing Santa doesn't exist, that the tooth fairy is mom & dad & that getting goodie bags at a birthday party is a waste of money.

It's about the moment. It doesn't have to be expensive & glad you found plastic containers. I use them to make homemade salt scrubs & buy them in the area of 10 for $5.

(I'd nix the juice boxes (all sugar) & give them water...that may be a cool "goodie bag" idea...designed or personalized water bottles they could take home?)

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

(I'd nix the juice boxes (all sugar) & give them water..

water? at a birthday party?

well thats no fun.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
water? at a birthday party?

well thats no fun.
No kidding.
My son only drinks water and milk at home. Juice boxes are a special treat at parties, and I will definitely be offering them.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And nobody uses the magnification to stand in the sun and fry the bugs? I'm impressed!
Ants and leaves. And if you were talented, you'd get an ant crawling on a leaf - two for one!

Also, when I saw the thread title "Goodie Bags" I thought it was an extension of the thread regarding nuts, booties, and weiners.

Cause, y'know, that's where ya junk is kept: in the goodiebags.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Cause, y'know, that's where ya junk is kept: in the goodiebags.
Yamon. And goodiebags are distinct from funbags. Which men don't have.

Laughing like a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting