Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I will say, Hopes, that more and more schools are doing Masters degrees on line. I have my Masters from Boston University and there is no way to differentiate whether I attended class in my clothes or jammies.

I do agree though that if anyone thinks that University of Phoenix degree is worth something they are sorely mistaken.
I will say, taking classes online is not a particularly time-saving matter, except for the time saved actually going to the class. My DD took a statistics course online, and it required her to listen to the lectures (from our kitchen), do homework and go to a testing center to take tests. Any course that allows you to take tests with no security (like from your home computer in your kitchen) is not much of a course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That was my point.

Boston University is a highly respected brick and mortar school. That's why your masters has value.

If Boston University stopped teaching brick and mortar classes, the university would become less respectable.

Exactly. Degrees from Phoenix and Devry had more value prior to the universities becoming mainly online schools.
Oh, absolutely. I would never have dreamed of getting my degree from somewhere that wasn't respected like BU is. If my degree becomes worthless, someone is going to hear about it!!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I will say, taking classes online is not a particularly time-saving matter, except for the time saved actually going to the class. My DD took a statistics course online, and it required her to listen to the lectures (from our kitchen), do homework and go to a testing center to take tests. Any course that allows you to take tests with no security (like from your home computer in your kitchen) is not much of a course.
I dropped two online classes this term for that very reason. There was too much high school type busy work. Very time consuming. Quantity not quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Oh, absolutely. I would never have dreamed of getting my degree from somewhere that wasn't respected like BU is. If my degree becomes worthless, someone is going to hear about it!!!!
LMAO! Rest easy. It won't happen in your lifetime!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is different for sure but I quite enjoyed it. My exams were proctored too..though I wish they weren't.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
9k for a four year dorm experience is actually not a bad deal. That's only $2,250 a year.

I perfer to pay for my children's college expenses. They work only for their spending money.

The guidelines say I can afford X amount of money. Guess what? It's true! I can afford it!

Most parents who are required to pay, but say they can't afford to pay, are living above their means.
Yeah. She did very well! I don't know what the full cost was but she did work quite a bit to pay down what she could and took the minimum loan possible that she could.

I have no beef with people who pay even though I disagree with it. I just think it's sad to see people being bashed for paying or not paying. People do what they do for their own reasons, none of which are really anyone else's business.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
....none of which are really anyone else's business.
Yep. Until somoene comes on the internet and starts a thread!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
We have hired workers with degrees from online schools that were both nationally and regionally accredited. We don't consider them worthless because you get out of something what you put into it. Someone could spend a year taking advantage of the library and learn so much about a particular subject but their resume would be dismissed if they didn't have a name attached to a degree. That's unfortunate.

We're a bit different here in that if someone sends us a resume that lists a skill set we are looking for, the school does not matter. We have exams that candidates must pass in order to move through the interview process. These skill exams tell us how much they really know about several areas and if they pass them and interview well, we'll hire them.

I realize that most places are not like that but the folks that we have hired with degrees that some might consider questionable actually turned out to be some of our best ones.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
9k for a four year dorm experience is actually not a bad deal. That's only $2,250 a year.

I perfer to pay for my children's college expenses. They work only for their spending money.

The guidelines say I can afford X amount of money. Guess what? It's true! I can afford it! Most parents who are required to pay, but say they can't afford to pay, are living above their means.
Totally depends on your situation. I can afford it too, according to the EFC. But that would require me to stop funding my retirement plan, which I don't plan to do.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Nice way of ignoring the specific questions I asked. "Sarcasm is unbecoming?" I didn't know this forum had a bathing suit competition.

It is taking away from a student's independence at age 18 to FORCE parents to contribute to their offspring's college, or else penalize the student (in terms of loans and grants available).

I would like to see the documentation where the theory of how and why the government made this new rule is laid out so the specifics could be known.

You've obviously never been involved with the college application/financial aid process. There is nothing "new" here. This has been the process for years and years, as the other posters stated.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Totally depends on your situation. I can afford it too, according to the EFC. But that would require me to stop funding my retirement plan, which I don't plan to do.
Most financial planners say not to take money out of your retirement to pay for your kids' college. The kid has the rest of his/her life to pay back loans. However, everyone's situation is different. As a friend of mine said of her kids, "Why should they wait till we die to get some of our money"? Once the kids are out of college, you can really save a lot of money, and make up for the dip in your savings (in normal circumstances).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting