Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

AAAAghhh!

Found the correct video and I don't have the pieces they were talking about. I think they're stuck to my cat's butt.

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Dew, you just made my day. Can't wait to hear how this ends....

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Hey, check out this amazing article an actor wrote about Pittsburgh:

Local Dispatch: It's hardly polite to be outside Pittsburgh

This is one of the reasons I'm afraid to move away from here.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hey, check out this amazing article an actor wrote about Pittsburgh:

Local Dispatch: It's hardly polite to be outside Pittsburgh

This is one of the reasons I'm afraid to move away from here.
Well written article, but there are good people all over the globe.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yep...I've lived or had family in pretty much every area of the country. Good people are everywhere....

Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I know. But apparently friendliness is exceptional here. People who move here or visit here are always amazed by how friendly Pittsburghers are.

I guess it would be hard to understand for people who have never been to Pittsburgh.

I hear horror stories from friends who live in other areas of the country, not even from Pittsburgh. I'm just shocked at how people aren't friendly/neighborly elsewhere.

My one friend, who was from California, was disturbed by neighbors who waved and said hello when she moved out of California. She'd never experienced that. It made her uncomfortable. She's use to people ignoring each other and she felt like people were invading her privacy by simply noticing her. Can you imagine? (She's just one example.)

I want to move, but I don't want to make the mistake of moving to the wrong place. I'm sure people are neighborly in the South, but we've already established in this thread that I wouldn't fit in down there. LOL

Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know. But apparently friendliness is exceptional here. People who move here or visit here are always amazed by how friendly Pittsburghers are.

I guess it would be hard to understand for people who have never been to Pittsburgh.

I hear horror stories from friends who live in other areas of the country, not even from Pittsburgh. I'm just shocked at how people aren't friendly/neighborly elsewhere.

My one friend, who was from California, was disturbed by neighbors who waved and said hello when she moved out of California. She'd never experienced that. It made her uncomfortable. She's use to people ignoring each other and she felt like people were invading her privacy by simply noticing her. Can you imagine? (She's just one example.)

I want to move, but I don't want to make the mistake of moving to the wrong place. I'm sure people are neighborly in the South, but we've already established in this thread that I wouldn't fit in down there. LOL
I think the biggest obstacle is that one has to change one's mindset. You cannot move expecting to find what you have just left behind, if you do that, you will only be disappointed (generic you). You have to go into it with eyes wide open, and I think you have to be proactive such as go to your new neighbors instead of waiting for them to come to you, etc. I have a big mouth and am always introducing myself to people, so far so good, only hooked an Amway couple once !

Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I think the biggest obstacle is that one has to change one's mindset. You cannot move expecting to find what you have just left behind, if you do that, you will only be disappointed (generic you). You have to go into it with eyes wide open, and I think you have to be proactive such as go to your new neighbors instead of waiting for them to come to you, etc. I have a big mouth and am always introducing myself to people, so far so good, only hooked an Amway couple once !
I'd definitely be proactive. Amway, too funny! Well, we'll see. We have two more years before we're ready to leave the area. Lots of time to pick our destination.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
This is exactly right. People leave somewhere they've lived all their life and are comfortable in, move somewhere else then complain that it's not friendly or the people are standoffish or overly familiar or nosey or whatever. Of course it's not going to be the same! You (again, generic) left somewhere where you knew everyone and everywhere and all the little ins and outs and peculiarities and moved somewhere you don't already know these things. It will feel "unfriendly" at first but that isn't necessarily what it really is. I've moved all my life. My experience is it takes a good year or two to stop feeling like an outsider. But that's not the "fault" of the new place. It's just an adjustment period.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
That article is NOT the norm in CA. And I knew all of my neighbors in CA. Always. Even when they didn't speak English. I think that's the standard actually. The joke in CA is if you start talking to someone in line at the store you'll hear their entire life's story and get invited over for dinner.

I had a car that had a major battery-connection problem. That thing would conk out anywhere. All I had to do was pop the hood and stand next to it for 60 seconds and 5 guys (including the illegals) would give me a boost and ask if I was OK to drive home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting