Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,729,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think it is a trance...she isn't even there when it happens. She just notices that there is a mess when she goes into his room later....

Since she isn't there when it happens, she really doesn't know that it was dropped on the floor and whether he was in a trance-like state. If he is actually coloring and writing, my guess is, he's just more focused on what he is doing than in being a neat little child.
Yeah, I see the quote there....that's why I'm soooo wanting her to get back on here and let us know....does she actually SEE the process happening, or discover it after the fact. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I don't know, weren't kids put on this earth to drive us nuts? That's what my mother always told me, right before she told me to wait until you have kids!

Really, there is no reason to stress out about the little things and you may as well get used to it now. Today it's crayons on the floor, preteen it will be trading cards and teenager it will be clothes. Kids will be kids. Why attribute normal stuff to adhd? I don't get it
I agree. I think many times adults forget that kids aren't natural multi-taskers. They see something that gets their attention and many times, that is all they can think about. Forget what they were doing. If something is in their hand, they may drop it or unconsciously set it down in the next available spot. It isn't ADD/ADHD, etc. It is them being kids and focusing on the next thing.

Their brains are still developing. I don't understand why so many people jump to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the child when kids don't act like little adults. They are not little adults. They don't think like adults. They don't process information or even emotions like adults. They can't focus like adults can. These are normal things. We have had years do develop these skills, and our brains have matured enough to allow us these skills.

*I am not trying to say ADD/ADHD doesn't exist. I am saying that I believe that it is over-diagnosed. I apologize in advance to anyone with a child with real ADHD if I have offended you.*

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,729,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I agree. I think many times adults forget that kids aren't natural multi-taskers. They see something that gets their attention and many times, that is all they can think about. Forget what they were doing. If something is in their hand, they may drop it or unconsciously set it down in the next available spot. It isn't ADD/ADHD, etc. It is them being kids and focusing on the next thing.

Their brains are still developing. I don't understand why so many people jump to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the child when kids don't act like little adults. They are not little adults. They don't think like adults. They don't process information or even emotions like adults. They can't focus like adults can. These are normal things. We have had years do develop these skills, and our brains have matured enough to allow us these skills.

*I am not trying to say ADD/ADHD doesn't exist. I am saying that I believe that it is over-diagnosed. I apologize in advance to anyone with a child with real ADHD if I have offended you.*

I agree! Also, just because something is "unusual", it doesn't mean that it's something wrong. As DDI stated, it could be that the child is very creative. It's too easy to label something as a "DYSfunction these days...far too often, I think that creativity is medicated into submission. Of course, it's easier for the "educational establishment", when you've got a classroom full of "clones", isn't it.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
It is also said that kids should have a place where they can leave what they are doing without cleaning up----so they can return to it later to continue from where they left off. This can apply to legos, coloring, etc. For example, if a child builds something and it's taken down immediately, the child never gets an opportunity to expand on thought process later.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,758 times
Signs & Symptoms of Executive Function Disorder « Smart Kids With LD

I know I've mentioned this before but from everything you've posted it sounds like he may have executive function disorder. It is often misdiagnosed as ADHD. Just my .02

Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
My husband does the same thing...not crayons of course, but everything he uses or wears or touches ends up on the floor or the couch. In his case I don't think it's evidence of a creative mind. Just thoughtlessness and the knowledge that someone will eventually pick it up for him. When I had a broken leg and couldn't get to his spot on the couch to clean, he ended up with things piled high on both sides, with just a small husband-shaped spot for him to sit in.

One of my daughters is also careless with her stuff. She loses everything. If I buy a package of pens, within a day she's lost all of them. She's very creative and a talented artist and I think she just tunes out the world when she's working on something.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post

I know I've mentioned this before but from everything you've posted it sounds like he may have executive function disorder. It is often misdiagnosed as ADHD. Just my .02
Thank you for sharing that link. I'd never heard of it before and it describes my daughter fairly well.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post

Not sure if that applies. It says that it's often not diagnosed until middle school when demands increase to work independently.

Her son is only 5 years old, and he doesn't sound like he's an unusual 5 year old boy IMO.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
Based on the OP, the child is constantly dropping and losing things, with crayons being the one example. However, I wonder what other examples there are?

While he could very well be ADHD, he could also simply be a right brained child. Something that has come to my mind many times from the OP's posts about him.

Right brained children tend to finish art creations and proudly show them to you, or get frustrated they are not turning out the way they want and throw them away.
ADHD children might not even finish a drawing and leave it all behind to go on to the next thing, forgetting about it until they see it again.

Right brained children would switch to other mediums while creating, like markers or paint, just to see how it is different.
ADHD children are more prone to stick to what feels right in their hands or what they are used to using.

Right brained children tend to want to show off what they are creating and may know exactly what it is they have made, but may not be able to explain it clearly.
ADHD children may have no clear idea of what they have drawn and begin to talk about something else entirely and leave it behind, unwanted.

When told to clean up, a right brained child may think putting the crayons on the desk is cleaning up and be done and off to their next activity.
An ADHD child will put some of the crayons in the box, some of the paper back in the bin and then start to draw again, forgetting they are supposed to be cleaning up.

A young child who is right brained has not yet learned ways to compensate for the things the left side of the brain controls and can be very frustrating, especially to a left brained adult.

If he is indeed left brained then he may:
- be left handed, put out left foot first when putting on shoes, or left arm in jacket first
- think out of the box often (use a kitchen spoon to dig in the dirt)
- miss important details (letters make words)
- have good intuition (knowing someone is sad)
- have good instincts (good balance prevents him from falling)
- mentally connect things in unconventional ways that are confusing to others until the connecting
factor is discovered(new walmart commercial reminds him of a college graduation many years ago
connecting factor being the air horn blowing)
- might be very frustrated doing puzzles because they are logical, yet building with Legos can be a joy
because they are big picture creations
- know the answer to a math problem, but not be able to explain how he got it
- be rather dramatic in reactions in ways that seem unreasonable because he doesn't see the close up
issue but instead sees the long term problem

So, after looking at it from this vantage point....does he seem to maybe be right brained? If so, lowered expectations to start with, repetition with focus on specific goal (with rewards) will go a long way in helping him compensate for being less left brained.....

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
MY curiousness here though, is based on whether he NEEDS to put the crayons on the floor, does that make sense? I'm more curious as to whether this is an unconscious obsession, or simply the need to remain focused on his project, hence, can't be worried about where that crayon goes, because it doesn't matter, cuz he's done with that one. LOL

There is definitely something "unusual" about the behavior, but then I could be reading more into it than is really there...if that makes sense. Unusual though, doesn't have to mean "negative".
I understand what you're saying Beachy. It must be the dormant hippie in me. It takes a lot for me to think a child (or a behavior) is unusual. I tend to see "individual".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting