Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times

Advertisements

In a different thread, I asked about false negative on a rapid strep test. Child had fever up to 104.2 before I finally took her to ER yesterday afternoon.

One of the reasons why I waited so long was because I was afraid they would want to draw blood. Stupid I know but I knew it would freak her out as well as my other daughter who would have to be in the same room.

So I started thinking: When would they want to draw blood? Of course I would guess the kid would have to look and act terribly sick before they do that but can anyone tell me under what other circumstances ER would want to draw blood?

My mind immediately went to meningitis with a high fever, headache and sleeping all day then I went to spinal tap and of course I freaked myself out. At least I never let my girls know I was truly worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
I'd say meningitis or mono would be the most obvious answers. Why would drawing blood freak you out? I understand the child would not be thrilled but your job is to be calm and supportive. Even if it's hard. I know how difficult it is. I've held my DD through all kinds of stuff from blood draws to needle biopsies. It's tough but you do what you need to do to ensure they get the most appropriate medical attention.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,839,750 times
If at all possible have them use the butterfly needle, as they probably will. They use it on me and I am 24. I also find it much easier if they have her lay back while they are doing it. Close her eyes ect. Or you can bring bubbles and have her "blow through the pain".

As her mommy you have to be calm for her. That's the best gift my mom ever gave me was a calm in the storm.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I know how difficult it is. I've held my DD through all kinds of stuff from blood draws to needle biopsies. It's tough but you do what you need to do to ensure they get the most appropriate medical attention.
As have I. And I'll include sending them through the doors into surgery. You HAVE to be calm and not let them see how much it is bothering you. Kids can feel your fear. If you freak, they will freak.

It's one of the toughest parts of being a parent but you have to be strong. And that includes not being afraid to take them to the E.R. if they need emergency care. That's where you earn your parental stripes.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
They may do a blood draw, but it's unlikely with the first visit. As others have said the parent sets the precedent for how children view procedures. I'd take it a step further too, if a parent knows they don't handle these situations well, ask dad or big brother to do it if they are calmer.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
I have had every medical procedure - almost- known to man. in the 90's, I was in the hospital for 4 months with central lines, life support, the whole nine yards. I can deal with my own pain but seeing my children - or anybody really in pain- just turns me into a weepy mess.

I cried when my babies got their shots.
When my oldest daughter came home from Korea, we were told to get her tested for hepatitis c, I believe it was. She was about 18 months when I finally took her in. I held her in my lap and three times they tried to draw blood and it didn't work. I felt like I was participating in some sort of torture. Finally I just stood up and said "We're not doing this anymore" and I took her home. It affected me deeply.

I have been with my grown son when he almost had a ruptured appendix, broke his fingers in a bike accident and 2 other surgeries but I was perfectly calm but of course worried. But little kids crying because they don't understand and are being hurt is so distressing to me.

I've stood by calmly as they got their flu shots and of course all their other vaccines. But shots are quick while blood draw can take several pokes and seems to last forever. I know I could get thru it but I'm dreading the day it will have to happen.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
have been with my grown son when he almost had a ruptured appendix, broke his fingers in a bike accident and 2 other surgeries but I was perfectly calm but of course worried. But little kids crying because they don't understand and are being hurt is so distressing to me.
As it is to everyone. But nokudzu <said gently>....your girls are not toddlers anymore. They are old enough to understand that sometimes we have to endure discomfort and even out and out pain to discover what is wrong so that we can get better. You hold their hand, explain the best you can and talk about all kinds of other things. Then you praise them when it's over for being so good about it. It stinks I know but better than not seeking treatment when it is necessary. If it is something like meningitis, a delay could be important.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-23-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
I HATE having blood drawn. Absolutely hate it. I hate even more seeing my son have to have his blood drawn. That said, it's just something you have to do; try to stay calm, don't look if needed. Kids do need to learn that sometimes it's necessary. Several weeks ago my son had to have blood drawn (at urgent care); he, too, had a high fever, and the strep test was negative. They did a blood test, found that it was bacterial, gave us antibiotics, and we were on our way. I held him while they pricked his finger, but then the nurse actually asked him if he'd like to count the drops going into the container. It was flowing pretty fast (one benefit of a fever!), so we counted seconds until she was done. I was surprised when she did that -- my technique is to look away until given the all-clear -- but it really calmed my son down. He's been playing doctor recently, "fixing" me up, and generally seems to get the idea that, little as he liked his recent visit to the doctor, it contributed to him feeling better. I think young kids can understand this. And even if they don't (I have terrible memories of having to restrain my son while they inserted IVs, drew blood, and lots of other tests) it's still worth getting the blood drawn if it means that the doctors can be that much closer to finding out what's making them sick. In the future, do you have access to a children's pediatric ER (or urgent care)? If you do, and you have the time to go there first, that could make things more comfortable and easier for you and for your children. We've been to both, and I would definitely go with the pediatric ER if you ever have the choice.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 PM

593 posts, read 1,316,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In a different thread, I asked about false negative on a rapid strep test. Child had fever up to 104.2 before I finally took her to ER yesterday afternoon.

One of the reasons why I waited so long was because I was afraid they would want to draw blood. Stupid I know but I knew it would freak her out as well as my other daughter who would have to be in the same room.

So I started thinking: When would they want to draw blood? Of course I would guess the kid would have to look and act terribly sick before they do that but can anyone tell me under what other circumstances ER would want to draw blood?

My mind immediately went to meningitis with a high fever, headache and sleeping all day then I went to spinal tap and of course I freaked myself out. At least I never let my girls know I was truly worried.
they do a CBC to almost everybody if not everybody that enters the emergency room...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Peds seem to avoid drawing blood. They only drew blood from my son when they thought he had cancer. If your thing is needles, not blood, the ER is most likely to put in an IV for dehydration before drawing blood. Pediatric hospitals are much better and putting in IVs and drawing blood than regular hospitals---more experience with little veins.

Never avoid the hospital for fear of something uncomfortable, especially when it could be life threatening. One way or another, you can't avoid needles in veins forever. It's important for children to learn how to manage their fears when at the hospital so they can grow into adults who don't have irrational fears. Glad she's doing better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting