Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,218,089 times

Advertisements

If she needs blood drawn, she needs blood drawn. I used to cry and scream bloody murder as a child when I knew I needed shots, but in the end I still had to get them!

Sometimes when you get sick the treatment is unpleasant in order to get better. It's a fact of life that everyone has to learn at some point. Getting blood drawn is not a big deal unless you are panicked and make it into a big deal. If the parent is freaking out, the child will freak out too. I got over my fear of needles because my parents eventually convinced me that it was only a slight poke and if you remain calm you barely feel it. Guess what? They were right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,745,213 times
Complete Blood Count: The Test

This is just a TINY portion of the available information!

If a patient is having symptoms such as fatigue or weakness or has an infection, inflammation, bruising, or bleeding, then the doctor may order a CBC to help diagnose the cause. Significant increases in WBCs may help confirm that an infection is present and suggest the need for further testing to identify its cause.

IF a doctor decides to order a CBC and IF an infection is indicated...he may (should) have further testing done to DETERMINE whether or not it is viral or bacterial, they will also grow this culture to determine WHAT the bacteria or virus is. The CBC will determine that there IS an infection.....not WHAT the infection is.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Boy, now I really believe you are a doctor.
I may not be a doctor, but at least i know what is a shift to the left and s shift to the right on a CBC...
Do you??
Stan is a doctor, and there are many other real health care workers on here, and I mean, you know real hands on. By the way, you are making a fool of yourself. If you are talking about the old-school belief that "left shift" indicated a more severe infection, and was therefore considered to be bacterial, then that is an extremely simplistic diagnostic, and not reliable. CBC may be used as a tool along with many other diagnostic criteria, but a white cell count on it's own means nothing.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Stan is a doctor, and there are many other real health care workers on here, and I mean, you know real hands on. By the way, you are making a fool of yourself. If you are talking about the old-school belief that "left shift" indicated a more severe infection, and was therefore considered to be bacterial, then that is an extremely simplistic diagnostic, and not reliable. CBC may be used as a tool along with many other diagnostic criteria, but a white cell count on it's own means nothing.
OR a whole LOTTA something going really wrong....

Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM

593 posts, read 1,317,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Complete Blood Count: The Test

This is just a TINY portion of the available information!

If a patient is having symptoms such as fatigue or weakness or has an infection, inflammation, bruising, or bleeding, then the doctor may order a CBC to help diagnose the cause. Significant increases in WBCs may help confirm that an infection is present and suggest the need for further testing to identify its cause.

IF a doctor decides to order a CBC and IF an infection is indicated...he may (should) have further testing done to DETERMINE whether or not it is viral or bacterial, they will also grow this culture to determine WHAT the bacteria or virus is. The CBC will determine that there IS an infection.....not WHAT the infection is.
You dont do a virus culture...
that is how much you know about the subject...

Another that doesnt know left shift and right shift of a CBC.
Viral vs. bacterial with help of the CBC - base

Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
OR a whole LOTTA something going really wrong....
But the poster was stating you could distinguish between a viral or bacterial illness based on the CBC. In isolation, that is not true, you would need an examination, etc. I'm assuming you were referring to other hematological issues?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If you say so...

Complete Blood Count: Test Sample
There are five different types of WBCs that the body uses to maintain a healthy state and to fight infections or other causes of injury. They are neutrophils, lymphocytes, basophils, eosinophils, and monocytes. They are present in the blood at relatively stable percentages. These numbers may temporarily shift higher or lower depending on what is going on in the body. For instance, an infection can stimulate a higher concentration of neutrophils (a “shift to the left”) to fight off bacterial infection. With allergies, there may be an increased number of eosinophils that release certain chemicals (anti-histamines) that minimize the allergic effect. Lymphocytes may be stimulated to produce immunoglobulins (antibodies). And in certain disease states, such as leukemia, abnormal and immature white cells (blasts) rapidly multiply, increasing the WBC count.

A CBC alone will not be the definite test, but is a vital test to come the the conclusion.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
You dont do a virus culture...
that is how much you know about the subject...

Another that doesnt know left shift and right shift of a CBC.
Viral vs. bacterial with help of the CBC - base
Diagnostic Methods in Virology, Virological Methods, Virus Culture, Virus Isolation

Read on....

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-24-2011 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal attack.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Based on a CBC, no, but you can't tell me that it is a vital part to finding out if it is or not..
Also there is already a post that someone said they used the test to find out if it was a virus or a bacteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting