Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,747,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
But the poster was stating you could distinguish between a viral or bacterial illness based on the CBC. In isolation, that is not true, you would need an examination, etc. I'm assuming you were referring to other hematological issues?
Yes....LOL...not at all referring to the CBC, just that a HUGE white count could be indicative of some very serious sh*t going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM

593 posts, read 1,318,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
How did you go from an accountant to a CFO? What in the heck is an accountacy firm for hospitals? You don't do their contracting?

I worked in hospital contracting for a zillion years. To say that every case was a per diem case rate is laughable. Hospitals bill for every last damn thing they possibly can. And if your Hospitalists are getting paid under a case rate and all your contracts were per diems? I imagine your hospital is/was living in a fiscal nightmare.
I started as an accountant, then moved up and up and up, until you get to be CFO, you do know that CFO is the head of the accounting department, right???
I don't understand your question, but usually CFO are accountant, and most are CPA...
I dont understand the question, the CFO before me and after me were accountants...
My firm is an accounting firm specialized for the medical field, when a clinic, office or hospital wants to outsource their accounting department they call me (or any of my competitors).

Hospitals tries to bill for every last damn thing, that doesnt mean the insurance company will pay for every last damn thing... there is a big difference...
Hospitalist from the hospital that I was CFO were paid a salary, we collected all of the billings... So even if they did extra procedures, they didn't make more money, we made more money...
but they would get bonuses based on different things.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,318,164 times
Hospitals usually dont do virus culture...
Read on,,,
when you do a blood culture, is on agar based culture, and viruses CANT grow on agar since they need live culture to replicate...
Hospital for a virus culture would have to send that sample to a more specialized center. and not done in-house.

Keep reading on...

You need CELLS, it is called a cell culture, and you dont do that by BLOOD, you need TISSUE,
Keep reading...
when you do a blood culture, no virus will grown on the agar plate...
Please try again, I really like this subject...
A non-medical against "doctors"

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-24-2011 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,787,955 times
Okay, a few posters disagree on whether ER blood tests are routine or not. I don't think that any of you are going to change each other's minds, so there's no need to keep arguing about it.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,258,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
OMG, this is not a real doctor, since my wife been in residency in NYC, every kid in EM room or on the floor with high fever would get a CBC, and maybe even a blood culture. But maybe, when she did residency in NYU her attending were wrong and she mad hundreds of mistakes on every patient.
You're not making yourself look good by accusing people of lying when you are basing everything on your and your wife's narrow experience in NYC.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,597,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Okay, a few posters disagree on whether ER blood tests are routine or not. I don't think that any of you are going to change each other's minds, so there's no need to keep arguing about it.
Agreed....but this guy has no clinical experience, and I personally have a real problem with people spreading misinformation. Stan is a doctor, I am a Pediatric ICU nurse with over 20 year experience. This guy is a number cruncher. People need to choose wisely where they get their medical info. Just saying.....

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,810,157 times
Quote:
Agreed....but this guy has no clinical experience, and I personally have a real problem with people spreading misinformation. Stan is a doctor, I am a Pediatric ICU nurse with over 20 year experience. This guy is a number cruncher. People need to choose wisely where they get their medical info. Just saying.....
Umm..he doesn't know the hospital number crunching either

Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,787,955 times
Quote:
I understand, but 1) both sides have been presented at this point, and 2) nobody should be seeking real medical advice from a Parenting forum anyway. By now, it's just back and forth.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,258,264 times
Everything's cool, Julia. It's entertaining. We're having fun. Even infiri is having fun.

Granted, the real doctor left the thread due to getting a headache. But it wasn't a real headache.

Overall this thread is tame.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,747,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Hospitals usually dont do virus culture...
Read on,,,
when you do a blood culture, is on agar based culture, and viruses CANT grow on agar since they need live culture to replicate...
Hospital for a virus culture would have to send that sample to a more specialized center. and not done in-house.

Keep reading on...

You need CELLS, it is called a cell culture, and you dont do that by BLOOD, you need TISSUE,
Keep reading...
when you do a blood culture, no virus will grown on the agar plate...
Please try again, I really like this subject...
A non-medical against "doctors"
Clearly you didn't bother to click on the link I posted. If you had, you'd seen that it EXPLAINS virology. Also....

However, in recent years, technological advances, ranging from the development of monoclonal antibodies to the introduction of molecular diagnostics, have provided powerful tools to use in attempting to detect the presence of viral infections. Molecular detection of viral DNAs and RNAs and molecular amplification by PCR and other techniques are now becoming more widely available in diagnostic laboratories. Sensitive and highly specific viral identification can be obtained with these techniques. Molecular methods, as well as others such as viral antigen detection, do not require the lengthy incubation period needed for viral isolation in cell cultures, may involve less technical expertise, and are useful for viruses that do not proliferate in standard cell cultures.

Incidentally, I'm not just an argumentative ignorant poster....I'm also a NURSE! ...who ALSO has a degree in Medical Office Records and have been certified in Billing & Coding!

Sorry JJ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting