Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
CBC are part of the visit, so the hospital is not getting any money for it..
You get very little if anything from a CBC, I was an accountant for hospital, and can tell you that a lot is already covered by the visit cost, for example when you stay at a hospital the insurance is already paying for the room, that also comes with a lot of other procedures.
So when you are admitted and they do 10 CBC in one day, that doesnt mean they are milking anything, they are actually losing money, since they are only going to get the regular fee that covers the blood work...
CBC for asthma should be done to check the eosinophils.

Broken bone? well to see if there is an a secondary reason for the broken bone, weak bone etc...
LMAO! What country do you live in?!?!?

Even if you live in the US, you clearly aren't aware that hospital systems are different throughout the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
This could not be more inaccurate.
infiri proved you wrong by responding to you with even more inaccurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick
Enough with the silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM

593 posts, read 1,317,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
LMAO! What country do you live in?!?!?
US, right now Florida, when I was a CFO NYC.

Quote:
Even if you live in the US, you clearly aren't aware that hospital systems are different throughout the country.
Yes they are different, but again, I have worked for 2 hospitals (both in NYC), and both had the same policy.

Quote:
infiri proved you wrong by responding to you with even more inaccurate information.
Well if you say so... But I guess that I have been doing my job wrong for the last 10 years, I actually did so wrong that I became the CFO.. but I have no idea how billing works.

Now, in what I am wrong? the billing subject that came up, or about the CBC??
the CBC, I could be wrong, since it depends on the hospital, but CBC are the most common test that doctors orders they they order them by the millions.
But I can tell you, that everything that I have said about billing is 100% accurate.
Even now I have an accounting firm dedicated in solely hospitals, clinics and privates offices.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,253,820 times
Quote:
But we can continue, for any illness you can put forward, I just call my wife and ask her, she is a doctor (pediatrician).

Nooo... Do not bother your wife. Every minute she's on the phone with you some sick kid is in the next room - waiting - and throwing up into one of those gosh awful emesis basins that don't hold squat.

(I used to HATE waiting with my child while I could clearly hear the doctor on the phone discussing T-times or investments for 20 minutes. Doc: "Sorry to have kept you waiting." Me: "The fees at Hillcrest have gone up." Doc: )

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:
CBC are part of the visit, so the hospital is not getting any money for it..
You get very little if anything from a CBC, I was an accountant for hospital, and can tell you that a lot is already covered by the visit cost, for example when you stay at a hospital the insurance is already paying for the room, that also comes with a lot of other procedures.
So when you are admitted and they do 10 CBC in one day, that doesnt mean they are milking anything, they are actually losing money, since they are only going to get the regular fee that covers the blood work...
CBC for asthma should be done to check the eosinophils.

Broken bone? well to see if there is an a secondary reason for the broken bone, weak bone etc...
Yes. Get your medical info from an accountant. Eosinophils? Are you serious? Get outta here. Nothing you've said makes any sense.

Op, as an actual EM physician, I can tell you that no one in their right mind draws routine cbcs in children. They are of very low diagnostic value in a population that gets sick with fever every five seconds (most of which is due to viral infections).

That being said, there is a general idea that if you are going to an emergency department, there is a higher level of 'something wrong' that brought you there...so people are going to be on higher alert. That can lead to more testing - a bias is created: "You are at a higher level care facility, the situation must be more dire." Otherwise, most fevers (even 104) can be medicated with tylenol/motrin and wait till the morning to see your regular doctor.

However, there are times when the pediatric guidelines recommend blood draw. In the case of a child age 3 months to 3 years old with fever and no apparent source, blood may be drawn to culture for occult bacteremia. Many generally do this base on the toxic appearance of the child or if the fever has persisted beyond a certain number of days.

The best thing any parent can do is remain calm. Kids feed off your drama, and I can't tell you how many parents have made it worse for us by being hysterical or even lying to the child about how 'it won't hurt.'

Luckily, children overall tend to be a very resilient, healthy population...best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri
the CBC, I could be wrong, since it depends on the hospital, but CBC are the most common test that doctors orders they they order them by the millions.
Thank you for admitting that. It might have been the policy at two different NY hospitals, but that doesn't make it the norm. Where I live, the main healthcare system is also a major health insurance company for our region. They are NOT ordering routine CBC for the heck of it in my region. The hospitals not in that healthcare system aren't ordering routine CBC's either because unnecessary tests are a waste of hospital resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nooo... Do not bother your wife. Every minute she's on the phone with you some sick kid is in the next room - waiting - and throwing up into one of those gosh awful emesis basins that don't hold squat.
Yep, there's no reason for her to purposely put those children and their parents through more suffering ---just to answer her husband's question for the internet.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

(I used to HATE waiting with my child while I could clearly hear the doctor on the phone discussing T-times or investments for 20 minutes. Doc: "Sorry to have kept you waiting." Me: "The fees at Hillcrest have gone up." Doc: )
, this is 100% true...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,289,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In a different thread, I asked about false negative on a rapid strep test. Child had fever up to 104.2 before I finally took her to ER yesterday afternoon.

One of the reasons why I waited so long was because I was afraid they would want to draw blood. Stupid I know but I knew it would freak her out as well as my other daughter who would have to be in the same room.

So I started thinking: When would they want to draw blood? Of course I would guess the kid would have to look and act terribly sick before they do that but can anyone tell me under what other circumstances ER would want to draw blood?

My mind immediately went to meningitis with a high fever, headache and sleeping all day then I went to spinal tap and of course I freaked myself out. At least I never let my girls know I was truly worried.
Why not just leave the room when she got her blood drawn (if she were to need it)? It is okay to admit that you have an issue with having blood drawn and leave the room. This is a non-problem. Especially in in pediatrics phlebotomists are trained on drawing blood from young patients, patients with fears, patients with hard draws.... etc. If you went to either of the two ERs in your area, both have FANTASTIC pediatric departments.... very well trained and skilled with children. I wouldn't worry with blood draws from either one. Now the local Red Cross.... sometimes they have trainees who leave my arm black and blue after a donation.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Get your medical info from an accountant. Eosinophils? Are you serious? Get outta here. Nothing you've said makes any sense.
never gave medical advise, just said they they would do a CBC, especially if they went to hospitals that I worked at.
Are you really a doctor? U must know that eosinophils are high on asthma patients and if the macro are high instead of eosinophils has importance to find out what cause the attack.
Can you tell me what doesnt make sense please? Is easily to just say that comment...

Quote:
Op, as an actual EM physician, I can tell you that no one in their right mind draws routine cbcs in children. They are of very low diagnostic value in a population that gets sick with fever every five seconds (most of which is due to viral infections).
OMG, this is not a real doctor, since my wife been in residency in NYC, every kid in EM room or on the floor with high fever would get a CBC, and maybe even a blood culture. But maybe, when she did residency in NYU her attending were wrong and she mad hundreds of mistakes on every patient.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thank you for admitting that. It might have been the policy at two different NY hospitals, but that doesn't make it the norm. Where I live, the main healthcare system is also a major health insurance company for our region. They are NOT ordering routine CBC for the heck of it in my region. The hospitals not in that healthcare system aren't ordering routine CBC's either because unnecessary tests are a waste of hospital resources.
you are right, it doesnt make it a norm, and yes ordering routine CBC are waste, but the cost of a CBC is around 4 dollars, even lower, not much...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:

OMG, this is not a real doctor, since my wife been in residency in NYC, every kid in EM room or on the floor with high fever would get a CBC, and maybe even a blood culture. But maybe, when she did residency in NYU her attending were wrong and she mad hundreds of mistakes on every patient.
LOL! This is really sad. And not standard of care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting