Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Here's my take on the leash...if you don't like them, don't use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here's my take on the leash...if you don't like them, don't use them.
wise words.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
ditto. I thought it was common knowledge that every child is a unique individual. I don't know why people think they all behave the same.
My MIL absolutely believes that every single child acts the same way and needs the same thing. Lock, stock and barrel.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
true. But you can go ahead with life and ignore the tantrum. If they are on the leash-- pulling, kicking, screaming and you then what?! It's not like a parent is going to drag them as they have a tantrum. If you are going to wait it out with them then do so without having them harnessed to anything.
Then what? Pick them up and move them to another area til they are finished with their tantrum.

What does that harness have to do with tantruming again?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Your right I don't. Didn't say I did. However-- I do have 2 hands. So the 1 and 3 year old would've been covered. I really don't see many 1yr old walking solo in parking lots either. To each their own is my mantra. However- for sake of this forum just sharing my observation/experience/opinion. Aren't we all?! Just because it's not your own doesn't make it wrong.
Right back 'atcha!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM

645 posts, read 988,895 times
Right way:

YouTube - ‪Disneyland - Small World Line‬‏

Wrong way:

YouTube - ‪Mom drags kid through store‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,721 times
Very practical IMO unless you have children then you should no opinion on this...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
OMG!!! !!!!
I nearly had heart failure. Everyone thought she'd been kidnapped including me. She was there one second and gone the next. I have to admit the store and mall acted very fast.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
OK I have to chime in on the "nurture" thing. We were strict with our kids. We taught them manners, safety, politeness, how to mind their mother and father, blah, blah, blah.

But you get three little boys in a situation where they are all excited or where their little brains are causing them to go into spasams of curiosity, "I must stay by Mommie" flies out the window. (Plus at three kids you have to deal with the pack mentality and the little one wants to go where the big kids are going and you've got nothing but problems.)

We used the wrist thingy-s. (Only because the cute little animal backpacks hadn't been invented yet. Dang. I should have thought of those. I'd be living on Maui.)

I was glad to have them. If they kept my child, or a niece or nephew, from running down Main Street and joining the Lion King Parade because, "Look! SIMBA!!" I was fine with it.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I can't speak on how they work, but all I know is, as a bystander, I feel sorry for the child in question because the leashes look totally stupid. Oh BTW kids on leashes can still mess things up in stores so really the leashes don't have much purpose. How about teaching your kids good behavior instead?
First of all, most of the children who are using them are not going to be embarrassed unless someone tries to make them embarrassed. Most of the children parents are using these on are quite young.

Second, this has nothing to do with teaching your children good behavior. Many very young children are impulsive and cannot control themselves yet. They will learn, but they may be too young.

Third, since you do not know the situation, it is possible that the child in question has a disability and wanders. I would rather keep my child safe than have him be hit by a car in a parking lot or wander into a stream and drown as so many autistic children have done.

Fourth, believe it or not the leashes are *less* constricting than holding a child's hand. They allow a child to explore safely without having to hold his arm up in the air or hold onto a cart, etc. There are leashes, btw, that allow the child to hold onto them as opposed to the parent being the one in control and many children find these easier to hold onto than holding a parent's hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting